The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Knock off that bullshit, right fucking now....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• TJMKID
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
      Got myself quoted for a VH tramp stamp.Going to cost me 100

Been listening to the song on and off all day.Love it

Please post a tasty photo of it while the ink is still wet !!

Comment

• nitroDave23
        Roadie
        • Jan 2012

Just flicked on the radio to check my local classic rock station,and

Guess what was playing?!

Didn't know if they'ed do it or not, interested in hearing fans call in and comment.

Wooo!

Comment

• Catfish
          Sniper
          • Jan 2004

This is like the best day I've had in many, many moons. This song has given me a fookin’ jolt. I feel like I’m 12 again and running to the Warehouse to buy a new album. I forgot how exciting it was to hear new kickass music from your favorite band.

Comment

• KarenCarpenter
            Groupie
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by WARF
            I disagree Karen Carpenter....

Jesus... I'm talking to a DEAD woman...

When I hear PANAMA on the radio... I think of the video... I see Eddie upside down on a vine when i'm listening to it...

When I hear HOT FOR TEACHER.... I do the HOT FOR TEACHER dance...

Videos are important.... TATTOO ALREADY HAS A HALF A MILLION VIEWS.... VIDEOS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!
            I didn't say that videos are not important, I'm saying that this one is a lot less important than the song..., no big deal, I'm just not watching it..., but I do have the song on repeat (for about 75 times now)... LIVE YouTube videos will be much more interesting to me when the tour starts.

Roland Chayer - Classic Rock Mix 01
            http://rolandchayer.com
            Facebook:

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
              Head Fluffer
              • Oct 2010

I am MIXED about the whole situation. I absolutely LOVE the song... but the video is detrimental to the single.

The words aren't in sync with the Roths' mouth... I feel like I am watching a SHAW BROTHERS kung fu flick.

I feel they were trying to capture the essence of JUMP, the video looks very low budget. So I would say the special effects in JUMP seem more fresh.

I also don't like the video shot in Black and White....

The song is about Dave returning to VAN HALEN...

Put it in color.... AREN'T TATTOOS IN COLOR???

I was expecting a bunch of hot models wearing next to nothing showing their tattoos... something more creative...

The video seems like an afterthought... something intended for a promo that they made official.

With all that being said... I REALLY LOVE THIS SONG!!!!

So who cares about the video.... the days of MTV requesting this shit is over anyways!
              A certain very pretty photographer is in the video a few times, so you should at least like that!

Comment

• Pink Spider
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

I stayed up all of last night and literally listened to this song 40 or 50s times before lack of sleep got the better of me. I've never done such a thing, ever! I might be alone in this, but even the classic Van Halen songs never seemed to move me like this one does. Maybe it's the newness of the song, but I don't think so. I even preferred Ed's deep backup vocals to bassplayer's!

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't completely love this song. It has clever lyrics and it's a mix of classic/new Dave and classic/new Van Halen. It's Van Halen matured and at the top of their game. Everything else seems to be practice for this moment.

The video was very minimalist, but so was the Jump video and look how well that did. They could have synced it up a bit, but I was entertained nonetheless. There are definitely more singles on the way. Plenty of times to redeem themselves in the video department.

Also, like Sesh said in an earlier post, Van Hagar fans complaining about the lyrics is completely hilarious. I had the unfortunate displeasure of listening to "Up For Breakfast" on youtube a few years ago, I think I'm still emotionally scarred from it. I don't think I've EVER heard such horrible lyrics from ANYONE. Sammy Hagar made The Blackeyed Peas sound like Bob Dylan.

But, enough of the Hagar bullshit, back to listening to the song!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                  A certain very pretty photographer is in the video a few times, so you should at least like that!
                  By the way, a little birdie told me that the girl in the "Tattoo" video with the black tank top is NOT our DDE contact, but rather she was still in the video a little bit....

GEM and WARF have met her, so maybe they know at what point of the video....
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• JenniferM
                    Roadie
                    • Feb 2004

This video just doesn't seem to have Dave's stamp on it. He has always been the master of making creative, fun , sexy vids and this one just doesn't have the feel.
                    Song ROCKS though! More! More! More!

I am MIXED about the whole situation. I absolutely LOVE the song... but the video is detrimental to the single.

The words aren't in sync with the Roths' mouth... I feel like I am watching a SHAW BROTHERS kung fu flick.

I feel they were trying to capture the essence of JUMP, the video looks very low budget. So I would say the special effects in JUMP seem more fresh.

I also don't like the video shot in Black and White....

The song is about Dave returning to VAN HALEN...

Put it in color.... AREN'T TATTOOS IN COLOR???

I was expecting a bunch of hot models wearing next to nothing showing their tattoos... something more creative...

The video seems like an afterthought... something intended for a promo that they made official.

With all that being said... I REALLY LOVE THIS SONG!!!!

So who cares about the video.... the days of MTV requesting this shit is over anyways!
                    "Why behave in public if you're livin' on a playground?"

Comment

• Catfish
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

I thought the video had Dave's stamp on it big-time. All the dancing and whatnot reminded me of the 'Jump' video, which was DLR's video directing debut, no? A couple of times there it felt like I was watching the BBQ video. I was waiting for that midget Jimmie Briscoe to run by on a little broom horse!

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                        I'm kicking myself in the ass multiple times a day WARFy, trust me....
                        vA, I still owe you bigtime dude.

I also wanna say since you have taken command... the forums have structure. I took me awhile... but I like the organization here with the threads and forums overall.

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by SunisinuS
                          Danny is the line though I do believe.

Roth on G!
                          I know what the line is, and was just trying to make a joke, but failed.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by nitroDave23
                            Just flicked on the radio to check my local classic rock station,and

Guess what was playing?!

Didn't know if they'ed do it or not, interested in hearing fans call in and comment.

Wooo!
                            Yea K-Cal 96.7 is rocking it right now. Positive bits from the DJ.

It is also getting calls in from WI's 420 Bullet of the day (it was sponsored by a local Tatoo shop of course).

Strong opinions the DJ said she expects.
                            Last edited by SunisinuS; 01-10-2012, 06:32 PM. Reason: Turn on your Radios
                            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• WARF
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                              Please post a tasty photo of it while the ink is still wet !!
                              Yeah send me a pic too!!!!

I want a naked one with you holding some sort of fruit in your hand.

Comment

• So this is love
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                                Yeah and who`s that photographer by the way anybody knows???
                                Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Working...