The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreenEyedMurder
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by WARF
    Yeah she was adorable.... Dana! =)
    Awww.... you really liked her, didn't you?

Comment

• WARF
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

The outro reminds me of the intro to, "You're No Good".

Comment

• Catfish
        Sniper
        • Jan 2004

Outro reminded me of Cathedral.

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
          Awww.... you really liked her, didn't you?
          She didn't like me at all.

I was blocking the whole stage!!!

Comment

• gbranton
            Veteran
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by sadaist
            I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
            That channel is dead to me, I have taken it off my guide so that the program listing never appears on my tv screen years ago.
            "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
              Didn't Dave make love to Alex's wife? Isn't that why Alex has been sore with Dave for all those years?
              well, there was a rumor about that, but in any case, Al's had about three more wives since then. One of whom was Ray Danniels' sister, which is how that piece of fucking filth got involved in the band in the first place.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                That channel is dead to me, I have taken it off my guide so that the program listing never appears on my tv screen years ago.

As bad as MTV is, they wrote a STUNNING review for tattoo. I was shocked a little because I figured they wouldn't be so hot on it. I guess that free show at Cafe Wha? was a brilliant move.

Sorry the video or page cannot be found. The page may have been removed, had its name changed, or is just temporarily unavailable. Please use search or visit our home page. Thank you.

Van Halen Return With New Single 'Tattoo'
                Band premieres first single with frontman David Lee Roth in nearly 16 years, and yes, it rocks.

Van Halen didn't play "Tattoo" — their first single with frontman David Lee Roth in something like 16 years — during last week's free-wheeling, free-spirited (and free-booze-fueled) club show in New York City, and it's sort of a shame. It would've fit in rather nicely alongside the massive Carter/Reagan-era smashes they did work into the set.

Don't get me wrong, "Tattoo" isn't on par with the likes of "Runnin' With the Devil," "Everybody Wants Some!!" or "Panama," but it's cast from the same mold: huge riffs, huger backbeat, hangar-sized chorus, soaring vocal harmonies (thought it's certainly weird to see Eddie Van Halen's son filling Michael Anthony's role in that regard) and a killer guitar solo. Diamond Dave even gets to do one of his patented talking bits. But perhaps most importantly, in keeping with grand Van Halen tradition, it doesn't try to be anything more than a Sterno-grade party starter. "Tattoo" isn't really about politics or religion or really even feelings (except for maybe the part where Roth sings about his uncle being in the union). Instead, it is entirely about, well, tattoos. Of all shapes and sizes. Or, as Roth puts it, "Sexy dragon magic!"

And really, what else needs to be said? At the very least, "Tattoo" is miles better than the last two songs the band recorded with Roth, "Me Wise Magic" and "Can't Get This Stuff No More," from 1996's Best Of Volume 1. And when compared to the other "new" song Van Halen premiered during Thursday's Café Wha? set — "She's the Woman," which, truth be told, has actually existed in demo form since the '70s — you can't help but get excited for their comeback disc, A Different Kind of Truth, if only because they seem to have bucked the whole "reunited band makes new album" trend and decided not to mess with the old tried-and-true formula. Truth be told, fans don't really want to hear the new stuff; they just want the hits. Or a close approximation thereof. And "Tattoo" is most definitely that.

There's even an accompanying video, which premiered Tuesday (January 10). It's little more than a black-and-white clip, reportedly shot during the band's rehearsals at the Roxy on the Sunset Strip, and yet, it doesn't have to be anything more. For fans not lucky enough to get inside Café Wha? last week, it's probably enough just to see Van Halen up close and personal — not to mention actually happy — with Eddie still pulling solos from his guitar and Roth making approximations of his manic stage moves (sadly, no midair splits, but, I mean, come on). Given how low we've set the reunion bar in recent years, it's no wonder "Tattoo" stands out the way it does. It is a solid, slightly pyrotechnic reminder of what made Van Halen so great, and why folks are (dare I say it?) optimistic about the new album. And who knows? Perhaps VH can even change our long-held belief that reunions can't totally rock. And they're doing it with nothing more than some "sexy dragon magic." Keep it simple, indeed.
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• lesfunk
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Al's had about three more wives since then.
                  I know at least one member of Van Halen that is no longer a millionaire...
                  http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by FORD
                    well, there was a rumor about that, but in any case, Al's had about three more wives since then. One of whom was Ray Danniels' sister, which is how that piece of fucking filth got involved in the band in the first place.

He really ruined the band.......

Yet, he seems to do a great job for Rush!
                    Originally posted by vandeleur
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by WARF
                      She didn't like me at all.

I was blocking the whole stage!!!
                      Maybe your pitch to her next time should be that you'll hold her up and block out other people for her.

Comment

• lesfunk
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Good thing WARF was there instead of me. I would have had her on my shoulders waving her top around and shouting "WHOOO HOOO!"
                        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Sweet Irony
                          She's the Woman
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

I guess I felt exactly like everyone else---WHAT are they gonna sound like?!? How will they look & move?? That fear & fascination of the UNKNOWN....Simple response: LOVED IT

*hey Mark!!*
                          ...livin in the online VH world for 19 years....thanks to a 2 year old.....

Comment

• tod
                            Roadie
                            • Mar 2004

Right on.
                            At the 1:07 mark...the left upper arm with the tattoo which resembles the Royal Navy one of Sean Connery's...is that the same chick?
                            So at about the 1:57 mark..you can see Dave's VH jacket...bedazzled and airbrushed or whatever...

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                            I wasn't referring to your contact. Sorry that wasn't clear. The girl in the video in the black tank is the one who was between WARF and me throughout the show. Before the show started, the black tank top girl had staked out her spot right next to me and after we started chatting and she told me that she's the/a official band photographer, I asked if she's the one seen in the promo video (the one they used to announce the tour) and she blushed and said "yes."

I've only seen the Tattoo vid once, so I"ll watch again and look for your contact (a very cool person, btw!).

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              I HAVE had MTV the last 7 years and I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a music video.

Music videos aren't for TV anymore, they're for the Internet. MTV had a directional choice way long ago. They chose unwisely.
                              Well, it's true that eMpTyV and VH-1 have gone to Hell in a handbasket with shitty so-called "reality" shows, but there IS an actual music video channel out there. And the good news is, you don't even have to be a cable subscriber to get it, since it's airing as a digital sub-channel in many markets.....

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Can't say I like everything they play on this channel, but they do play a little of everything. I haven't watched it in a few days, so I can't say for a fact that they have added "Tattoo" to the rotation. But since it's an Interscope release, I'd seriously be surprised if they hadn't.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• SilvioDante
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jan 2004

I got a chance to listen to the song several times this morning and walk away from it to clear my head (which yes isn’t hard). I then went back to it again. Here are some thoughts:

It’s a solid song. Great groove. Love the solo. Love the lyrics.

Here is the problem for most people(I assume). After waiting 28 years, it is underwhelming at first listen. A lot of people (including myself) expected Unchained, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up the Sky, etc. all rolled into one. The thing to realize, this IS Van Halen NOW. Play Van Halen I then play 1984. Do they sound alike? I don’t think so. They have the same core, the same soul, but are 2 totally different albums. This is what we have here. Any open minded person listening to this can hear the heart and soul of this band. I read stuff like “sounds like a Dave solo album”. It should. That’s what Dave has been doing for 28 years. That is who he is now. But put him with the Van Halen brothers and the magic is still there, the sound has been tweaked.

Gotta agree with WARF, the video stinks. Videos aren’t NEARLY as important as they were in 1984, but your are gonna hear the negative comments from the Sheep none the less. To me the video gives off the “you got one take to get this cause I am outta here” vibe, but I am probably reading between lines.

Like I said, people wanted to get kicked in the nuts by this song. I think this song grabs your nuts and twists them until you finally submit. This IS Classic Van Halen, 2012 version. I totally love it.

Besides, I could really care less if this album sells 100 copies and we all buy 2 copies a piece. At the rate they are going, I will be 70 when the next one comes out. I gonna sit back and enjoy.
                                "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

Working...