The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbranton
    Veteran
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by JJtheVagPounder
    I very much agree with you on celebrities using their status as a pedestal to give their opinion. It’s why I never got into Rage. It’s why I think Sean Penn, while a great actor, is a total douche bagger. However, I don’t think Dave is saying “UNIONS ARE AWESOME!” Pretty sure he’s just telling the stories behind tattoos (and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have a union tat).
    "A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." - David Lee Roth
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• GreenEyedMurder
      Head Fluffer
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by tod
      Right on.
      At the 1:07 mark...the left upper arm with the tattoo which resembles the Royal Navy one of Sean Connery's...is that the same chick?
      So at about the 1:57 mark..you can see Dave's VH jacket...bedazzled and airbrushed or whatever...
      No, I don't think that's WARF's crush, but I do believe it's someone else we met (I see her later in the video).

Comment

• light 'em up!
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2004

I think it's very catchy.... very well mixed. This is the radio-friendly single. I expect the rest of the album is going to rock...

Comment

• light 'em up!
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2004

Personally, I think the video is amazing! It's brilliant... it's Dave. Vids with Sam were never that creative... VH was a bore during the Hagar era.

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I have given it several listens..IMO,,just not raw enough..not terrible..but not great,,,,Hopefully its the " jump" of the album..it sounds very weak compared to...

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by light 'em up!
              Personally, I think the video is amazing! It's brilliant... it's Dave. Vids with Sam were never that creative... VH was a bore during the Hagar era.
              I like it, too. I think it pays homage to the 1984 videos, mainly the Jump video and the dancing parts of Panama.

Comment

• gbranton
                Veteran
                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by K-tuna
                Satriani and Chad Smith are talented mofos...
                Agreed but as technically brilliant as Satch is very seldom does he play anything that makes the hair on my arms stand up when I hear it, most of the time it just doesn't MOVE me.
                "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SilvioDante
                  Gotta agree with WARF, the video stinks. Videos aren’t NEARLY as important as they were in 1984, but your are gonna hear the negative comments from the Sheep none the less. To me the video gives off the “you got one take to get this cause I am outta here” vibe, but I am probably reading between lines.
                  Holy shit, that's the thing that was bothering me earlier!
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• 1971Quarter
                    Roadie
                    • Feb 2006

Show me your dragon magic ...

Comment

• SNIPER
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by light 'em up!
                      I think it's very catchy.... very well mixed. This is the radio-friendly single. I expect the rest of the album is going to rock...
                      This is perfect!! Pretty much sums it up...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Catfish
                        My only real beef with the video is no high kicks from Dave and Dave isn't holding a mic. But I understand that he can't do all the dance moves with a mic in his hand.
                        Being such a seasoned vet... I figured you would've noticed they were playing pretend rock stars in that video..?
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                          Veteran
                          • Feb 2004

I asked earlier but there's been 7 pages of posts since then and I'm too tired and lazy this evening to look to see if I was answered....but does anyone know why it's not available on Amazon.com? I'm thinking I'm the only one on the board that's been uable to purchase this great tune.
                          I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• Panamark
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sweet Irony
                            I guess I felt exactly like everyone else---WHAT are they gonna sound like?!? How will they look & move?? That fear & fascination of the UNKNOWN....Simple response: LOVED IT

*hey Mark!!*

G'day Lisa !
                            Great to see you here

Hope you and family are all well
                            BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• fifth element
                              Commando
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vinnie Velvet
                              Brilliant post. Love it.

Can I get an AMEN?
                              just home from work, so this will show up many pages aftter the fact, however:

AMEN!
                              “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• fifth element
                                Commando
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 1971quarter
                                show me your dragon magic ...
                                damn!
                                “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

Working...