The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
    I asked earlier but there's been 7 pages of posts since then and I'm too tired and lazy this evening to look to see if I was answered....but does anyone know why it's not available on Amazon.com? I'm thinking I'm the only one on the board that's been uable to purchase this great tune.
    It's on Amazon, but bizarrely doesn't readily come up from a search. I found it only by searching, seemingly finding nothing, then seeing a pic of the cover some way down the page - but just trying again, damned if I couldn't find it.

But, as always google to the rescue - I searched 'Tattoo Van Halen Amazon' on Google - and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo/dp/B006U647QQ

I think the folks at the record company need to gnash some balls at Amazon about this. They'll be losing sales because some dork hasn't catalogued it properly ...

Last time I looked - earlier this evening - it was No.1 in Rock downloads at Amazon.co.uk (& No. 13 in all MP3 Downloads)
    Last edited by VHscraps; 01-10-2012, 08:04 PM.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• chi-town324
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Feb 2007

song is really good.. not great, and it does sound a lot like Dave's solo stuff which i love...just so happy some new VH is here...wow...the video blows, and Eddie can you at least run a comb through that hair?...

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

That's the same link I've been following....and it always says, "Not Available" under the price. I've tried to purchase it from AmazonUK and it's available but says it can't sell to me due to my geographical location....It's bizzare to say the least.
        I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• VHscraps
          Veteran
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VHscraps
          It's on Amazon, but bizarrely doesn't readily come up from a search. I found it only by searching, seemingly finding nothing, then seeing a pic of the cover some way down the page - but just trying again, damned if I couldn't find it.

But, as always google to the rescue - I searched 'Tattoo Van Halen Amazon' on Google - and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo/dp/B006U647QQ

I think the folks at the record company need to gnash some balls at Amazon about this. They'll be losing sales because some dork hasn't catalogued it properly ...

Last time I looked - earlier this evening - it was No.1 in Rock downloads at Amazon.co.uk (& No. 13 in all MP3 Downloads)
          Just realised / remembered - Va was posting earlier on about clicking on the ad banner for Tattoo at the top of the page here on the Army.

That takes you direct to the item on Amazon, and some proceeds come back to Roth Army ... try that
          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
            That's the same link I've been following....and it always says, "Not Available" under the price. I've tried to purchase it from AmazonUK and it's available but says it can't sell to me due to my geographical location....It's bizzare to say the least.
            Yeah - I see that now. Weird. I ended up downloaded it on iTunes
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Full Bug
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SilvioDante
              I got a chance to listen to the song several times this morning and walk away from it to clear my head (which yes isn’t hard). I then went back to it again. Here are some thoughts:

It’s a solid song. Great groove. Love the solo. Love the lyrics.

Here is the problem for most people(I assume). After waiting 28 years, it is underwhelming at first listen. A lot of people (including myself) expected Unchained, Panama, Drop Dead Legs, Light Up the Sky, etc. all rolled into one. The thing to realize, this IS Van Halen NOW. Play Van Halen I then play 1984. Do they sound alike? I don’t think so. They have the same core, the same soul, but are 2 totally different albums. This is what we have here. Any open minded person listening to this can hear the heart and soul of this band. I read stuff like “sounds like a Dave solo album”. It should. That’s what Dave has been doing for 28 years. That is who he is now. But put him with the Van Halen brothers and the magic is still there, the sound has been tweaked.

Gotta agree with WARF, the video stinks. Videos aren’t NEARLY as important as they were in 1984, but your are gonna hear the negative comments from the Sheep none the less. To me the video gives off the “you got one take to get this cause I am outta here” vibe, but I am probably reading between lines.

Like I said, people wanted to get kicked in the nuts by this song. I think this song grabs your nuts and twists them until you finally submit. This IS Classic Van Halen, 2012 version. I totally love it.

Besides, I could really care less if this album sells 100 copies and we all buy 2 copies a piece. At the rate they are going, I will be 70 when the next one comes out. I gonna sit back and enjoy.
              Great review bro, you said it.....
              Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• fifth element
                Commando
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by K-tuna
                Unlike what @dickinhisSINUSES' would have you believe, I get that, but dave wouldn't have made that in there if he wasn't making a point...he could have chosen a dozen other things. ...But You got the broader point even if that point was a small part of a larger critique.
                almost every song written COULD have talked about a dozen different things,
                but due to content, rhyme. or rhythm, DON'T
                Not all of them are hell bent on making a point...but in making good music.

so sorry you don't like this one, but i wouldn't make more of it than is actually there....i.e.: politics
                “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• scottydabodi
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

I just listened to "Tattoo" about 10 times in a row and here's my 2 cents: it rocks. I have encountered some complete BABOONS that are unsatisfied. I say this to them: SHUT UP RETARD. I'm puzzled, whattaya expect, "Fair Warning Part 2" from guys in their mid-to-late 50's????

Let me be clear, "Tattoo" rocks, it has a great vibe, fun lyrics, and is a GREAT single to lead off a 2012 FM radio campaign. It's not 1981 anymore, and if this is what a grown-up Van Halen sounds like, color me happy-as-fuck, bitch.

Anyone who wants to whine about Mikey can fuckin SUCK IT. Van Halen could sing the ABC's and it'd be LIGHT YEARS ahead of where Chickenshit is. Chickenfoot is a mere footnote, Van Halen is HEADLINE NEWS. What's the opposite of "above me"...
                  If you listen to fools
                  The Mob Rules

Comment

• So this is love
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

People are hard to please i tell ya.......been listening to people calling in the fm radio station here about tattoo.....i hope they play it enough to grab them nuts and twists them until these fuckers bashing it all submit...
                    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• scottydabodi
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Van Halen has a new album coming out. Reality just hit me....
                      If you listen to fools
                      The Mob Rules

Comment

• VH Drummer
                        Roadie
                        • May 2009

Anyone else think it would be cool if on the tour, they went right into "You're No Good" after "Tattoo"?
                        2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys

Comment

• Texas Outlaw
                          Full On Cocktard
                          • Jul 2005

Have been reading a lot of negative comments on YouTube aboutabout Tattoo but I gotta say, I fucking love this song. It's gritty, it's down in the gutter, and it's got a Van Halen vibe to it. Eddie's guitar sound is bad ass and Dave's vocals are, well, Dave. I especially like the end of the song and how Eddie does his thing with the knobs. Gives you the feeling that something really special is coming with the rest of the album.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VH Drummer
                            Anyone else think it would be cool if on the tour, they went right into "You're No Good" after "Tattoo"?
                            yup...sounds like Tattoo ends where YNG begins. I have always loved YNG.
                            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• SunisinuS
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by VH Drummer
                              I think that is very possible actually. Thought about that about 12 hours earlier...hehe.
                              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• VH Drummer
                                Roadie
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by diamondsgirl
                                yup...sounds like Tattoo ends where YNG begins. I have always loved YNG.
                                When I heard that outro on "Tattoo" last night, I got chills.
                                2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys

Comment

Working...