The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • franksters
    Veteran
    • Mar 2004

Tattoo / down in flames

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    SUMMER'S JUST
    AROUND
    THE CORNER!

[IMG]
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

See??

Originally posted by Rikk
      Bingo.

I make music with my band. Three or four of our latest songs are songs we started writing over 10 years ago. Listening to them finished is awesome...to me it feels like, "Why the hell didn't we finish working on that one back in the day?"

Originally posted by kwame k
      Pretty much......or the album is taking a direction that is perfect for an old song we did back then because it didn't fit the direction we were going at the time.

Or.....you worked up a song that was good, even great but could never quite get it right and you come back to it years later and it's the right place/time and you nail it!

The first song I had ever written didn't make it onto an album until 15 years later.

I knew some musicians here would agree...and yeah, a few of the tunes I'm working on are coming up on 10 years old. Didn't work for the project/players I was working with at the time, but worth holding onto in my and my close friend's opinions... (not to mention as technology improved the new versions' guitar tones are waaaaaay better than the old demos)...one tune needed a bridge, put it away, coupla years later I was playing around with it as a goof and came up with the necessary part... if I'd had the "that's old stuff" mentality never would have been inspired to finish it!
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• basstar66
        Full On Cocktard
        • Sep 2010

man it's not as bad as some are letting on imo , can't wait to hear more .

Comment

• Grit
          Roadie
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by if6was9
          Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.
          I've listened to other samples from Amazon and they don't always put the best part of a song in the sample, seems like they hit random many times when they sample a song.
          In fact on this one I don't believe they choose a sample that has the title of the song in it.

Comment

• if6was9
            Head Fluffer
            • Mar 2007

Van Halen's song without a proper riff... Strange...
            Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• franksters
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

All of the jams and riff can't go to waste... I totally agree with re-visiting what you have previously
              Recorded...
              Why would anyone record themselves while jamming?
              I do it to, in mybook it's all good!
              SUMMER'S JUST
              AROUND
              THE CORNER!

[IMG]
              http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...rs/2wbthcw.jpg

Comment

• conmee
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

On the topic of reworking older material in general... I'm always playing around with a song I wrote when I was 19... and every 7 years or so it sounds contemporary again. lol I'm not even in a band but there are at least five or six songs I worked up into demos years ago that I'd love to finish. Sometimes a riff or a lyric or a vibe is strong enough to live on in the artists' psyche and those are usually the songs that last no matter when they are released.

I'm thinking the new album will be a mix of older ideas and new ideas. Sort of a few songs to "pick up where we left off" familiarity/comfort mixed in with brand new material taking us into the present/future. Rather than an entire album of "none of these songs sound like classic VH" for all the jaded folks to bitch about (not that there are any jaded folks here at the Army).

That is all.

Icon™©®
                An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by conmee
                  I'm thinking the new album will be a mix of older ideas and new ideas. Sort of a few songs to "pick up where we left off" familiarity/comfort mixed in with brand new material taking us into the present/future. Rather than an entire album of "none of these songs sound like classic VH" for all the jaded folks to bitch about (not that there are any jaded folks here at the Army).
                  The thing is, if they do that, it'll be no worse than DIVER DOWN (without the cover songs). And that's nuthin' to whine about. That would be awesome.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I am already Jonesing for these studio tracks - Tattoo and She's the Woman after hearing last night's performance and thius small clip.

Imagine how incredible an entire album will be?
                    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Douglas T.
                      Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

OK call me dumbass or whatever but I can't seem to get the snippit to play!

Comment

• gbranton
                        Veteran
                        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ToraToraTora
                        Amazon UK have pulled the clip, bastards!
                        I guess we can't get THAT stuff no more.
                        "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Douglas T.
                          OK call me dumbass or whatever but I can't seem to get the snippit to play!

Comment

• Douglas T.
                            Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

THX Spillls! You posted it half second before me!

Yep like solo DAVE!

Comment

• gbranton
                              Veteran
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ToraToraTora
                              All together now " I got hula girls, on the back of my leg, And she huullla's when i walk"
                              This is ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY CLASSIC David Lee Roth. A lyric like that is what sets him apart from the rest. Now that I have listened to it about 50 times I am really loving it.
                              "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

I LOVE the idea of listening & taking & reworking old demos & outtakes, etc. I want Metallica to do this & try to jar their memories on how to write killer tunes again. I like to think VH did this as a start point. Rework a handful of old songs to get those juices flowing, get their minds back to 30 years ago, remember the magic. Then have the inspiration for totally new stuff that still sounds like 'them'.
                                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...