The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

I think Dave sounds fine... I love those deep, deep vocals mixed in the pre-chorus (just a funny thing to bring up... I was looking to see if Dave's book was available on Kindle and Amazon had this comment in their Dave bio "He is one of few vocalists with a larger than 4 octave range in full voice (from G1 to G♯5)"... suck on that Hagar you piece of whale shit).

Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?

Comment

• Full Bug
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
      Anybody else hear the chorus riff of 'Tears Are Falling' by KISS as the pre-c goes into the chorus?
      Yeah! That was bugging me , I couldn't place where I heard that....
      Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• J-Axe
        Full On Cocktard
        • Dec 2005

First of all, what a joy it is to see fresh material coming from King Edward and Master Roth. It's great to see them happy, healthy and kicking. Whether the happiness is all an act or not (it sure as hell looks very real) it doesn't matter because they're back doing what they did better than anyone else in the history of rock music. OK, they're past their prime and there's an ugly history that will always exist and most likely cause some havoc again somewhere along the road.. but it's CVH and it's not dead when I always thought it was.

I do miss Mikey but as many others have said, if not for Wolfie this all might not be happening. He's the key to Eddie getting his ass/ttitude in gear. And he's not too bad on the bass.

Was always worried about the new material being too familiar almost. Not that Tattoo isn't typical VH, it is in a way, but Eddie's not gone back to find the CVH guitar sound. He progressed as a guitarist beyond the Roth-era regardless of the material and he's carried that sound and personality through in this track, and hopefully through the rest of the album. Yet still clever to pick bones out of some of the earlier unreleased stuff and Down In Flames is very much in this track.. a tribute almost.. and most certainly a big influence. My other worry was that Ed was going to take lead and dare to take any potential spotlight away from Roth.. not the case.. this is very Diamond Dave and you get a feel of some of the DLR-solo stuff, even in the way Eddie approaches things guitar-wise which is very interesting.

Love the lyrics. Witty, fun and proper Roth sarcasm which only he can deliver. Love that the guitar work isn't tense or too structured, it's very loose and relaxed.. love the bits when he drops out and lets the synth hover whilst Roth takes control then he kicks back in with some very simple but effective punchy power chords. Guitar solo is very improvisational and off-the-cuff which is very CVH. Van Hagar stuff was much more methodical and structured. I love both, but with Roth the raw improv style is so much better.

Thank you Van Halen for making the magic happen again.
        http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/96/vhwall1712wx.jpg

Comment

• lesfunk
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk
          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
            I've been keeping the secret for too long and I can no longer live with my secret so I'm going to tell you all right now. Mr.Walker is actually Eddie Trunk
            Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

BTW... I don't miss Michael Anthony at all.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I just watched the video again. Chill bumps again. That's a good sign. Ed looks great, they must all be getting along. F0r the first time since 1984 all is right with the world.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                    No kidding, but there are still some smaller stations out there that you can call in and request and I did so on my local NJ station and they do play requests. The corporately owned ones will play a request if it is in their play list and at least on the Classic rock stations, this song probably is in the play list right now.
                    WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Hahahaha... no I'm not. Les, you have seen me and Eddie Trunk at the same place at the same time (Heaven & Hell at Radio City... RIP Ronnie).
                      I was at that show.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Video could have used a more prominent dancing tattoo chick... kinda like the one in the Danzig "She Rides" video.
                        Also... didn't need to see Dave doing the hula.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Stern played Tattoo this morning... gave it a thumbs up... more importantly Fred Norris did as well.

Comment

• DLR'sCock
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            WDHA I pressume. Great station when they're not playing Daughtry, knicklecrap and the like.
                            Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

95.5 FM KLOS in Los Angeles is playing Tattoo every 95 minutes!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DLR'sCock
                                Yes, WHDA, they play good stuff, but yes they do play some shiza!!!!! I think the request is coming soon for the request lunch hour. It will be with their VH double play, and a chance to win VH tix for MSG!!

Good luck! I wasn't able to get MSG tickets. Gone too fast. Gonna try for AC. If not that, gonna follow them on You-Tube I s'pose.

Comment

Working...