The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halen High
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    And that's why Tattoo is the single, and not something harder hitting, like Bullethead....
    Yep - the single will reel them in... then Bullethead will smack them right between the eyes. I think they will get the perfect balance and old schoolers like us will be more than happy.

Comment

• GreenBayLA
      Sniper
      • Jan 2006

Compared notes with my best friend from high school, we saw the mighty Van Halen on every tour starting with Van Halen II. Both of us were non-plussed by Tattoo, no hook, doesn't sound like a single. But I can't wait for the new album...
      "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Halen High
        Commando
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
        he didn't rule it out iirc mate! hope you're well.
        I'm great mate! Bloody cold down here for summer though. I hope you're right about Dave not ruling it out. To buy this album in vinyl will just top it off for me.

Comment

• Grant
          Sniper
          • Feb 2005

yep, i like it.
          I LOVE it!

The video just simply oozes of coolness...

FUCKIN' A...VAN HALEN ARE FINALLY BACK!!!

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Old or new material it is a very good song
            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

yep. we gotta be remembering that these are men in their 50's, with a 20 year old bassie. it's not going to sound like 1982.

i reckon i can also hear a bit of the latter part of 'hear about it later' at the end there... the unison bends and dave wailing sexay dragon magic.
              i'm surprised no-ones mentioned that, then again, i may be deaf.

tat-too tat-too

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

if it sounds good...it is good...

a coach of a football team once said, that there is nothing like old or young players but only good or bad players...

tat-too tat-too motherfuckers
                Roth Army Icon
                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

yezz, natra!! good to see you mate.

back to topic;

fucking great song/video.

Comment

• Halen High
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2004

yep. we gotta be remembering that these are men in their 50's, with a 20 year old bassie. it's not going to sound like 1982.

i reckon i can also hear a bit of the latter part of 'hear about it later' at the end there... the unison bends and dave wailing sexay dragon magic.
                    i'm surprised no-ones mentioned that, then again, i may be deaf.

tat-too tat-too
                    Someone at the VHND said the same thing and I agreed with them. From the 4 minute mark as they close out the song, you can definitely hear echos of Hear About It Later - not just musically but vocally. We are going to be picking up stuff in this track for years.

Comment

• Halen High
                      Commando
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                      if it sounds good...it is good...

a coach of a football team once said, that there is nothing like old or young players but only good or bad players...

tat-too tat-too motherfuckers
                      Good to see Germany is getting Tattooed - Van Halen style.

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

and there's a fucking WHOLE ALBUM of this stuff coming... i've got goosebumps.

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

And to think we have Bullethead to come. I think we get the album a few days earlier than the US. Is that right?

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VHscraps
                            Jeez - It's not rehashed if it has never been released before. It is only public, because it's on an illegal, bootleg, recording ... songs that aren't released (in the case of Down in Flames) don't even have publishers, so it's not like they were making money off it in one form then releasing it twice.

I'm a writer - and I go back to material I started writing ten years ago that *never made the grade* and try and find ways to do something with it. It's what artists - painters, musicians, writers - do. They have ideas that they don't really finish to their satisfaction (or their publisher / A&R / record company, etc., don't think make the grade)

In any case - in music publishing terms, the top line (i.e., the vocal melody, although
                            there may be slight similarities at parts of the song) and lyrics of 'Tattoo' are not the
                            same as 'Down in Flames'. Even musically, it is really only the bridge, the chord
                            changes under the chorus, and the swells at the end, which were at the beginning of
                            DIF, that are similar .
                            Spot on as always Scraps. I meant to mention the other day that that was a good call about the swells at the end tying into the ones in DIF. If the whole album is based on previously unreleased tracks, they should be praised for being true artists, not ridiculed. Hey, so long as we're happy with it, right?

Comment

• Halen High
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2004

Fuck...I just had a thought. What if they are planning on doing a storyline video with actors for She's The Woman or Bullethead!!! None of us ever imagined we would see an official video for those unreleased gems.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by houseofpain
                                what up show stoppa? I dont care that hop isnt the hop on my boots, ya know...
                                HOP! back in da muthafuckin house!!!

How ya doing bro?
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...