The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by SunisinuS
    See the song writing credits thread. WB and MA would have some legal rights. New Label, New Song. Re-using a riff is not the same as putting out the exact same song again.

Just one of the guesses.
    I thought MA signed all of his VH related rights away in 2004 as a part of the deal allowing him to be a part of the 2004 Velveetapalooza Tour?

Comment

• Jetstream
      Foot Soldier
      • Dec 2011

my brother called me today and he loved Tattoo, guy is a cancer surgeon and he has learned to be pretty direct on how he feels due to his profession. The most revealing review of this song came from a close friend who also called me today. He said at first he hated it and then he heard it the second time and it really grew on him, now he really digs it and purchased it on i-tunes and said I might as well keep listening to it because it beats humming it and singing it because I can't get the damn thing out of my head. Notice this effect on a lot of people on the first go around, and these do not have to be rock fans either. Interscope and Van Halen were wise to release this first, and it just might be the most addictive growing song ever made. Tattoo is like a drug that gives most a bad experience the first time around but then it is too late, your already addicted. This is a master stroke by Roth and the Halens
      I got lost in the...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

I'll have my thoughts in a new format tomorrow morning....time for the roth army to go full circle in the social circle...

Tattoo definitely has growing power...it's for sure a step back kinda song...

So step the fuck back...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
          I'll have my thoughts in a new format tomorrow morning....time for the roth army to go full circle in the social circle...

Tattoo definitely has growing power...it's for sure a step back kinda song...

So step the fuck back...
          just to take a run-up!
          Roth Army Icon
          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

Let's put it in perspective: Last Chickfoot album has 11 tracks official. Perusing YOUTUBE will show you that the tracks have an average of 15k views apiece. 11*15,000=165,500 Views. 1,309,490 views minus 165,500 = 1,144,090 more views in just 9 days. Chickenfoot album released how many months ago? Keep it up Chedheads, the rest of us learned arithmetic in High School. Sorry Spammy was Tardy.

Pussy Nugget Sambo probably came up with a scheme to hand out free 2-oz. tequila samplers to anyone who would check out the new Chicken-Pussy videos on YouTube --- so even the 15K view estimate per vid is a sham.

Comment

• Coyote
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

I have a theory on "Tattoo" being chosen as the first single...

It's a humongous taunt to "Ultra-mediocre man"...
              Especially, when one does some comparison with Cuntshit's material, in general. (NOT for the weak-of-heart, BTW... Somebody gotta take the "hits".)

It's like a "pro touring" '70 Dodge Challenger vs a brand new Chevy Spark.
              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• conmee
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

I gave Tattoo a "5" when I first heard it, it's up to about a "7" after 20 listens, but that's ok. I think for me, it was just getting used to VH 2012 v. the Six Pack expectations that have built up over the past 28 years. Let's face it, expectations were super high, and we were (or at least I was) hungry for something to kick us in the nuts from the get go. Tattoo is more laid back like Where Have All The Good Times Gone (and just like WHATGTG was followed by Hang Em High, Tattoo has She's The Woman to kick things up a notch when the new album arrives).

So I don't think it's a matter of multiple listens. It's about adjusting expectations. This is a modern version of a classic. Sure, MA's backing vocals would add to the classic vibe, and if Edward's tone was a bit more "brown" (according to Brownsound), sure we might have something that takes us back in time. But... Tattoo takes us into the present and given everyone's age (except Wolfie), it's probably a better outcome than if we had four old guys trying to recapture their youth.

Tattoo for me is a great mix of old and new/revised sound and approach. And after listening to a good version of Cafe Wha's She's The Woman, holy shit, I think we are in for a nut kicking with the album!

There are nods to the past and optimism for the present and future that come through in multiple listens of the song. So a "7" to kick off the album doesn't worry me much, since I think we'll have enough "9s" and "10s" to make this a very satisfying album. And even if Tattoo is the strongest tune on the album, I'm still stoked to have a NEW release for the first time since high school.

That is all.

Icon™©®

P.S. Check this shit out! I never thought I'd live to see a SMILING DLR and EVH promoting another album together in my lifetime.

An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• TJMKID
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by conmee
                  P.S. Check this shit out! I never thought I'd live to see a SMILING DLR and EVH promoting another album together in my lifetime.

Photo of Dave & Ed smiling with a huge VH logo behind them ---- on the #1 website where the world downloads music ---- the Universe seem to make sense again.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TJMKID
                    Photo of Dave & Ed smiling with a huge VH logo behind them ---- on the #1 website where the world downloads music ---- the Universe seem to make sense again.
                    so goddamn true...
                    Roth Army Icon
                    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

WARF, you look so fucking coked in that pic ?
                      (Love it !)
                      Like a shark with frickin laser beams for eyes !

Im grinding my teeth !

Are you laser beaming Wolfgang ?

Wondering if you can recall what you were thinking at these
                      precise photographed moments. We could totally start a
                      "What is WARF thinking" caption thread.

Back on topic, I played "Tattoo" to Panamatt today through headphones,
                      and at 2 and a half years of age, he rocked out and is now singing "Tattoo, Tattoo"
                      after one listen. After being breastfed the six pack, little Matt has also officially
                      trampstamped his approval.
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by SNIPER
                        Yes. Thanks. I am just exited about it like everyone else here.
                        The last time I was really exited was after a dodgy curry I had in Birmingham last year.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

See the song writing credits thread. WB and MA would have some legal rights. New Label, New Song. Re-using a riff is not the same as putting out the exact same song again.

Just one of the guesses.
                          I don't know... John Fogerty got run through the ringer for recycling old CCR riffs...
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

How's this for skewed reporting - is it obvious this was written by a Hagarita sheep?

(sorry if this has already been posted - 35 pages is too many to look through...)

P.S. On the bright side, I just overhead my 8-year-old singing: "I've got Elvis...on my elbow..."
                            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                              WARF, you look so fucking coked in that pic ?
                              (Love it !)
                              Like a shark with frickin laser beams for eyes !

Im grinding my teeth !

Are you laser beaming Wolfgang ?

Wondering if you can recall what you were thinking at these
                              precise photographed moments. We could totally start a
                              "What is WARF thinking" caption thread.

Back on topic, I played "Tattoo" to Panamatt today through headphones,
                              and at 2 and a half years of age, he rocked out and is now singing "Tattoo, Tattoo"
                              after one listen. After being breastfed the six pack, little Matt has also officially
                              trampstamped his approval.
                              P-Mark!

That was the moment that he realized they were playing 'She's The Woman', and he turned to (I forget his name) from VHlinks and rhetorically asked 'When was the last time this was played live???"

This is all so freaking surreal!

Pojo to Twitter? That would fucking rock!
                              Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Panamark
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Thanks PA, WARF looks like his mind is blowing, I cant blame him !
                                "She's the woman" first time ever must have been an audio orgasm in that setting....
                                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...