The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • K-tuna
    Groupie
    • Jan 2012

Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy, but the music for those songs were pretty slammin'. Only Ed can come up with a groove riff for a song with pick scrapes. I wish i had some software to isolate the tracks from the vocals.

But That book stuff was so bad he deserved a size 14 boot up the wazzo for the horrible crap he wrote.
    Last edited by K-tuna; 01-11-2012, 03:30 AM.
    "I Don't feel tardy...."

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

The 30 second clip was ok on first listen, i wondered what was up lyrically!!?? With the full listening experience those lyrics are great!!! But I'll only fully understand 'em in 3-5 years time like Dave wants me to!!!

Comment

• Yount
        Commando
        • Jan 2012

Panamark is cool ridgy didge mate!

Comment

• ashstralia
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Feb 2004

TAT-TOO TAT-TOO!!!

nothin' but yeah.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by K-tuna
            Eh....Slammy Pay-gars lyrics on "About Time " and '" Up for Breakfast " were pretty wretchedly cheesy.

I actually give Sammy the benefit of the doubt on those for the lyrics. Eddie was in a very bad way and kept forcing Sam to rewrite lyrics. Same as he did to Dave in 1996. But even without listening to the actual words, the singing just doesn't fit the songs for me. Lame.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Yount
              Commando
              • Jan 2012

I think the end sounds like "You're no good", the verses have hints of "Goin' Crazy" keys... The solo is great but those tricks, yeah it's a combination of all of 'em. I've heard it before but only Van Halen can replicate it. Truth. Different kind, i'll take it though...

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by GreenEyedMurder
                I can almost and their guy is on the outside looking in.
                ha ha!! Have you heard Standing Hampton?

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Man, those lyrics are GREAT!

Uncle Dave always was great at the lyrical turn of events.....manufacturing the perfect, cool and interesting verbal accompaniment to the music.

"Hey I dig the way the line runs up the back of her stockings.........I've always like those high-heels too....."

Even his off-the-cuff improvisations are fucking grate!

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Uncle Dave always was great at the lyrical turn of events.....manufacturing the perfect, cool and interesting verbal accompaniment to the music.

"Hey I dig the way the line runs up the back of her stockings.........I've always like those high-heels too....."

IMHO the lyrics are what I've been waiting for. Dave has always played with stellar musicians. I just love his view on things and his sense of humour. Sammy? Eh? The music was good, that's my memory of it. I liked the solo and all that peripheral shit, just to dupe myself i liked VH '86-'96.

Comment

• Yount
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Hardrock69

IMHO the lyrics are what I've been waiting for. Dave has always played with stellar musicians. I just love his view on things and his sense of humour. Sammy? Eh? The music was good, that's my memory of it. I liked the solo and all that peripheral shit, just to dupe myself i liked VH '86-'96.

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

i've gotta say again... i fucking LOVE how at 2.20, it's all about russell.

then we get treated to some real eddie van halen. the david lee roth version. the original.

Comment

• Yount
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2012

I played BIG FOOT and TATTOO!. Before Sammy starts to sing me thinks this is a rocking song. His vocs are like syphilis, like a dentist drill! Give me Dave or the grave.

Comment

• Yount
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ashstralia
                            i've gotta say again... i fucking LOVE how at 2.20, it's all about russell.

then we get treated to some real eddie van halen. the david lee roth version. the original.
                            DWN UNDR. yeah i like his little kick too just for old times! Tour here fuckers!

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

The fact there's so much debate is a sign that the band is challenging your expectations and doing something different. That's the sign of a band, rather than a nostalgia trip.
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ashstralia
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Feb 2004

they will yount. for sure. there's ya first thanks.

Comment

Working...