Van Halen - The Downtown Sessions - "You Really Got Me" Video...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave's Bitch
    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

A big Thank you to fryingdutchman,You put it perfectly
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Carmine
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
      I'm REALLY surprised at some of the backlash coming out in this thread.

Is the acoustic YRGM perfect? No, it's not. But it's an acoustic jam, it's meant to be dirty, raw, and contain a few blemishes. And Dave himself knew it, because during the intro he said something along the lines of "be forgiving." (I don't remember his exact words.)

It's awesome to see them sit down as a band and do something like this for the fans. And even if you're not terribly keen on the performance, you should at least respect the time and effort that they're putting in to make us all happy and rekindle our fires as TRUE FANS of Classic Van Halen.
      Don't get me wrong here, Dutch. I agree 100%. It is great to see them just kickin back and enjoying each other as a band! The best thing I've seen over the last month is that they really seem to be getting along so well! I'm just not a fan of bands bustin out the old acoustics during concerts. Not just VH, but any band...thats just me. I'll certainly watch and enjoy the bonus DVD, just like I enjoy this video here...I just dont wanna see "Panama unplugged" out on the road. Thats all I'm sayin...

Comment

• fryingdutchman
        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Carmine
        Don't get me wrong here, Dutch. I agree 100%. It is great to see them just kickin back and enjoying each other as a band! The best thing I've seen over the last month is that they really seem to be getting along so well! I'm just not a fan of bands bustin out the old acoustics during concerts. Not just VH, but any band...thats just me. I'll certainly watch and enjoy the bonus DVD, just like I enjoy this video here...I just dont wanna see "Panama unplugged" out on the road. Thats all I'm sayin...
        I hear ya Carmine. But I don't think that the acoustic DVD means that it's going to be part of the tour. I don't think I'd want an acoustic slowdown during a live VH show (other than Dave's intro to Ice Cream Man). Van Halen live on stage means absolute bombastic sound that leaves you blown away, and acoustic stuff would compromise that.

I don't think you'll see anything like this on the tour. I think this was a one-off fuck around session that they decided to package with the new album as a way to make a few extra $$$.
        Originally posted by perilouspete
        fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Not a big fan of Hard Rock/Metal tunes unplugged either, not sure Im gonna like this
          once the yahoo video nazis allow us all to watch.
          The vibe in here aint that great

But hey, some dudes said tattoo sucked in a majorly
          premature ejaculatory style.....
          This might be great on that basis ?

I can wait for tomorrow
          for this.
          Last edited by Panamark; 01-19-2012, 07:29 AM.
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

tat-too tat-too!!!!!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Carmine

I saw Metallica do the 4 horsemen acoustic live and kinda threw up in my mouth during the opening twangs...
              As has been repeatedly proved with orchestras or unplugged, Metallica music is what it is and doesn't stand up to any change of format or genre because their songs have not got the melodic or musical depth to support it. Same problem that Poison have had.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                As has been repeatedly proved with orchestras or unplugged, Metallica music is what it is and doesn't stand up to any change of format or genre because their songs have not got the melodic or musical depth to support it. Same problem that Poison have had.
                Would agree if talking post Master of Puppets, but songs like Orion were orchestral in their own right.
                Metallica S&M is fucking horrible. The orchestral sounding Metallica songs with an orchestra
                doubling the pieces, instead of subtly harmonizing or even playing newly composed accompaniments
                to fit the song was painful to listen to.

Poison and Metallica ? Do you really have them on the same level ?
                So your students could chose between "Master of Puppets" and
                "Look what the cat dragged in" whilst under your tenure ?
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

how can i resist? aint nothin but good times, and it don't get better than this. whooo!!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                    Would agree if talking post Master of Puppets, but songs like Orion were orchestral in their own right.
                    Metallica S&M is fucking horrible. The orchestral sounding Metallica songs with an orchestra
                    doubling the pieces, instead of subtly harmonizing or even playing newly composed accompaniments
                    to fit the song was painful to listen to.

Poison and Metallica ? Do you really have them on the same level ?
                    So your students could chose between "Master of Puppets" and
                    "Look what the cat dragged in" whilst under your tenure ?
                    They are both not natural guitarists with poor vibrato but I think CC Deville is probably better technically than Kirk Hammett these days.

Hah I've never watched that CC thing before, he's sloppier than the floor at a bukake for the blind world record attempt..

It's amazing to think that both these guys have been professional musicians for over 25 years now.
                    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....."Apocalyptica"?!?

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

Hah I've never watched that CC thing before, he's sloppier than the floor at a bukake for the blind world record attempt..
                        have you considered writing as an alternate career, sesh?

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

They are both not natural guitarists with poor vibrato but I think CC Deville is probably better technically than Kirk Hammett these days.

value="true">

It's amazing to think that both these guys have been professional musicians for over 25 years now.
                          Is james charging for the guitar lesson , wtf is that what kirk is like ...sheeeeet am kinda shocked
                          fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Matt White
                            Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....."Apocalyptica"?!?

We'll need to agree to disagree because although they try hard during the verse I think you are kind of making my point for me with that.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                              I don't think you'll see anything like this on the tour. I think this was a one-off fuck around session that they decided to package with the new album as a way to make a few extra $$$.
                              Not so sure on that. The VHs, namely Alex, always loved modeling themselves after Led Zeppelin. A mid set slow down has Zep written all over it. Although, Al appears to have curbed his enthusiasm (again) on this clip. While I agree that there is fun being had these days, Al is forever expressionless and hiding behind sunglasses. He's either mentally elsewhere or concentrating on not revealing how much pain his back is causing him, or something else. Mysterious fella. Go figure.

One thing I remember reading way before Ed completely went nuts was that he never wanted to do the MTV Unplugged for two reasons. One, he didn't like the "flavor of the month" vibe to the show, and two, he said his electric songs weren't intended to be played acoustic. I'm glad that they're doing this now, but I somewhat agree with what 20-years-ago-Ed was saying. It'll be interesting to see if You And Your Blues is an acoustic based song to begin with. Perhaps that song was the catalyst for this particular venture. February 7th can't get here soon enough!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                                Is james charging for the guitar lesson , wtf is that what kirk is like ...sheeeeet am kinda shocked
                                Sometimes you can just have a blind spot with something but FFS anyone who has played the guitar for more than a few months should be able to play that immediately.

Also I think it's worth pointing out I've heard better riffs from Ace Diamond.

Comment

Working...