Van Halen - The Downtown Sessions - "You Really Got Me" Video...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJtheVagPounder
    Head Fluffer
    • Oct 2009

How is this anything but awesome. Everyone looks happy, the band is doing different things together (i.e.growing, EVOLVING), I loved it. Al does seem a little "meh" about the situation but he doesn't have his kit in front of him. Whatevs.

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JJtheVagPounder
      How is this anything but awesome. Everyone looks happy, the band is doing different things together (i.e.growing, EVOLVING), I loved it. Al does seem a little "meh" about the situation but he doesn't have his kit in front of him. Whatevs.
      Van Halen acting like a band.....who would of thunk it?
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• JJtheVagPounder
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kwame k
        I know, right! And what's with the negativity? We should be excited about this. I mean, we're getting new VH, they're throwing tidbits our way which is something they couldn't easily do back in the day, and they're exploring a little. Giving us new stuff. I personally am stoked. Why shouldn't I be? Why shouldn't you be? I don't know!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mr Walker
          I've heard that's 95% of the reason why it took so long to get this new CD.

Fuck, if the internet were around back in the day there'd be a large group of knuckleheads who would have bashed 'Fair Warning' when it was released after 'WACF'....
          "waaahh... it's to dark!" "waaahhh... where's the party music"... oh here's the party music on 'Diver Down'... "waaahhh... it's all covers!" "waaahhhh... it's not as good as Fair Warning"
          Couldn't be more fucking true !!! Nailed it. It's fun, take it for what it is !!! If this was an exact performance recorded in 1982 we would be all over it. Rave reviews !! Were has this been !!?? It's cool. good to see them not wanting too kill each other. Al does look like Doc from future !! I read that somewhere else. Funny. This is not listed on the cd set. Wonder if a real doc is up their sleeve ?

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Already a headline story on Yahoo! That was fast. Here's what the glowing article had to say - notice the choice quote from Dave regarding the tune:

Never-Before-Seen Van Halen! ‘You Really Got Me’ Acoustic
            By Wendy Geller | Video Ga Ga – 6 hours ago

We're barely into January, and already 2012 is a momentous year for fans of classic rockers/Hall of Famers Van Halen. Not only did the band announce a reunion tour, the guys also confirmed they're in the studio working on their first new album with iconic original frontman David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years.

Now, here's a cherry on the sundae for all the VH fans out there: A never-before-seen video of all four members of the band performing an acoustic version of their hit "You Really Got Me."

Van Halen

This tune, of course, is the band's well-loved cover of the Kinks classic, which VH adopted for their 1978 self-titled debut. It's been more than three decades since the original came out--but this is the first time VH has filmed an acoustic version of it.

The video is shot at Henson Recording Studios and includes a personal introduction from Roth, as well.

Roth nutshelled his opinion of the new clip for us: "Culturally our new video is old school meets new school. Kind of like watching Dragnet on your iPad."

Got that? But don't take Dave's word for it...watch for yourselves!

You can see this exclusive piece of music history first, here at Yahoo! Music!
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Fairwrning
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Im fucking shocked honestly..When did these guys actually get hit over the head and decide to release some material?? Kudos indeed..but damn, Dave only sounds decent on the last minute..he decides to quit singing through his nose or whatever the hell that was...band again sounds TIGHT!!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Ironic that ELVIS, of all people, would have a problem with a band sitting around and playing their songs on acoustic guitars.

Geezus, have you forgotten what you did in 1968??

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by FORD
                  Ironic that ELVIS, of all people, would have a problem with a band sitting around and playing their songs on acoustic guitars.

Geezus, have you forgotten what you did in 1968??
                  But imagine The King doing that fat and bloated in 1977. Well, that still probably would have been cool - but I dig Elvis' point - this IS Van Halen we're talking about, a certain level of excellence is expected. However, seeing a raw, off-the-cuff =VH= is worth the price of admission for me. I will admit that they could've have used a second take on YRGM. Glad it won't be on the bonus disk.
                  My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by JJtheVagPounder
                    I know, right! And what's with the negativity? We should be excited about this. I mean, we're getting new VH, they're throwing tidbits our way which is something they couldn't easily do back in the day, and they're exploring a little. Giving us new stuff. I personally am stoked. Why shouldn't I be? Why shouldn't you be? I don't know!
                    Yep, in the last few weeks we have been given more from this band then we have ever had......

I'd love to see VH do more acoustic music, I can't wait for The Sessions......hell, that's Dave in his element.

Was this the epic reworking of YRGM that we've all been waiting for?

Fuck no! Looks like they sat down played it and said, "Close enough, next", that's a confident band right there!
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• gbranton
                      Veteran
                      • Aug 2005

I don't care that it's not perfect, after 26 years of darkness it's a revalation just to see them together at all. It looks like a BAND taking some time out from flexing their creative muscles to do something fun as opposed to some guys e-mailing music files to each other so they can sit down with a laptop and add their parts. And THAT to me is the best part of the whole thing.
                      "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Fairwrning
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

I like they didnt dress it up..very raw indeed..Dave needed to warm up a bit tho...

Is Dave getting " Joe Cocker" Disease...seriously..lots of jittering with the hands while singing..Ill fuck off now...

Comment

• mohican
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kwame k
                          Exactly. Ed is smiling at Dave like it's 1981.

Comment

• neuralfraud
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Aug 2010

regarding all of elvis's complaining..

Dave sounded very thin but it also sounded like he was trying to be soft so that's most likely why. When he brought up the intensity his voice thickened up. He definitely sounds older but having heard tattoo, I don't expect to be disappointed, so who cares?

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by gbranton
                              I don't care that it's not perfect, after 26 years of darkness it's a revalation just to see them together at all. It looks like a BAND taking some time out from flexing their creative muscles to do something fun as opposed to some guys e-mailing music files to each other so they can sit down with a laptop and add their parts. And THAT to me is the best part of the whole thing.
                              That's it......

I'm thinking that this was just a, "Hey guys when we're in NY let's hit the studio and just hangout and vibe", kinda of thing and not some military precision, strategic studio "Session".

Comment

• Northern Girl
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Wow...never thought in a million years I would ever see that happen. Can't wait to see the rest!

That said, I'm glad that song won't be on the album. Not every song works acoustic, and that one really does not work for me! So many other choices that would have been better for Dave.

Funny watching Dave with ants in his pants. When he did the radio show, he did the whole 4 hours on his feet. The man can't sit still! Ha!
                                Same ole song and dance...

Comment

Working...