The Official Van Halen, "She's The Woman" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by steve
    The thunder thong around Dave's neck are his ties to the Van Halen legacy that he cannot escape.
    I think it's pretty clear.
    Not trying to disqualify your opinion here...And this is just MY opinion, but the Van Halen legacy, the real legacy, is as much Dave (maybe even more so) than Ed and Al. I know, Dave said that until VH reunited no one would accept anything they did separately. I know. But we're talking about a guy who toured pretty much nonstop, with some exceptions, even when the brothers were doing nothing. Again, not disagreeing so much as saying that Dave carved out a pretty good niche for himself. Was it as big as what he could have had if he'd never left the band? Well, hell no. But fuck that! He split and I followed Dave. And I was never let down. And I should use this time to thank him for his 2003 FREE concert in Charlotte. Great fucking night that was!!!
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by steve
      Anyone else see the whole song as a metaphor for VH (just like Can't Get this Stuff No More where DLR describes VH in the terms of a "date with a supermodel").
      Here the "Woman" stands vaguely for destiny, fate is the pimp (bluntly stated), and the "suburban garage-a-trois" are Eddie, Alex, and Wolfgang (as in suburban garage rock trio).
      The thunder thong around Dave's neck are his ties to the Van Halen legacy that he cannot escape.
      I think it's pretty clear.
      While you make a good case, this is actually one song on the album that I DON'T read too much into. I think it's just a raunchy little bad-ass rock number about a guy paying a whore to lose it, nothing more (at least to my ears). On a different note - since this track is the second official single from the album, I wonder why no original artwork was put out to accompany the download like 'Tattoo' had? I was kinda hoping each single would feature more of Dave's art.
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• rocking ron
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2010

I LOVE THIS FXXXXXX SONG, also during their shows, it really kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• VanHalener
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by rocking ron
          I LOVE THIS FXXXXXX SONG

OWWWWWW!

~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• VanHalener
            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Bad Assssssss

Van Halen, bitches!

Vannnnnn Halen!

~Garçon, more volume please~
            ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Nov 2004

Fucking kickass!! The tune I play most in my car.

Did anybody buy the 7" vinyl ?...

... WHAT'S THE B-SIDE ???
              posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
              posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• vaijuju
                Sniper
                • Jan 2008

Last edited by vaijuju; 05-05-2012, 02:58 AM.
                http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by vaijuju

umm....please tell me this is your photoshop or some cruel joke. Please.

If this is fucking real I think I might need a clean pair of underwears.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    Good thoughts there. I really love the song except that I just think the chorus is a bit monotonous & plain. Plain? Not sure if that's what I mean.

I have really warmed up to what I originally felt was a monotonous chorus. This song is now in my top 3. I love how REAL Van Halen songs do that. You never truly have 1 favorite for a very long time because they are all creepers.
                    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• vaijuju
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2008

The guy who put that pic said : "
                      Well...a buddy of mine that works at a record store in Santa Barbara just texted me to say he's mailing me a limited edition 7" version of "She's The Woman"/"Brown M&M's".

So, there you have it. The B-Side is "Brown M&M's". With a title like that it may be looking more like they put one of the interviews we've seen so much in audio form. We've just never heard this particular one yet.

Just my theory."
                      http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

But what if it's a song? lol....am I being greedy? hoping for #14 new song for 2012?

But yeah, the interview makes a lot of sense. It is their most legendary-notorious "rock band moment" that all fans ask about.

Comment

• Little Texan
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

It's an interview, not a new song, according to Jeff Hausman.

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                            It's an interview, not a new song, according to Jeff Hausman.

Thanks. I was allowing myself to start to get excited over the thought of getting to hear yet another new VH song. January-February 2012 nearly killed me.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • May 2010

been playing this song all day:

Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Yount
                                Commando
                                • Jan 2012

I was feeling kinda down on my luck and low then I heard the bass.. doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo and drum thunder. Oooh.

Comment

Working...