The Official Van Halen, "China Town" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Little Texan
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

And here I was having doubts as to whether Ed and Dave still had enough left in the tank to make a decent album. I think it's safe to say at this point that they have FAR exceeded expectations, and then some! Why did I ever doubt Ed and Dave? They have never let us down yet! Are them two as a team even capable of making bad music?

Comment

• Little Texan
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Oh, and since we've already heard at least three songs that aren't created from old songs (The Trouble With Never, Stay Frosty, and China Town), Sammy is officially full of shit claiming that the whole album isn't anything but old stuff.
      Last edited by Little Texan; 01-27-2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• JJtheVagPounder
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Little Texan
        And here I was having doubts as to whether Ed and Dave still had enough left in the tank to make a decent album. I think it's safe to say at this point that they have FAR exceeded expectations, and then some! Why did I ever doubt Ed and Dave? They have never let us down yet! Are them two as a team even capable of making bad music?
        No. Dave knows how to write over Edward's guitar. I think we all know that no one else has come close.........(fuck you sammy)

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          HMMM..... I think I need to meet some people around here before the show in MN. Killer tune !! SHIT !
          Don`t set your expectation to high...lol
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Fairwrning
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Halen High
            They could open with China Town.

As this album is so killer, I think it's likely this will be a tour featuring the music of the new disc - rather than a setlist dominated by CVH with only 3 or 4 new tracks. So 50/50 perhaps? I knew they would put out a very good album - I didn't want to allow myself to think it would be a classic to try and avoid expectations getting out of control. I think it's pretty clear now that ADKOT will be a classic.
            Agreed..this may be the opener....and I cant fuckin wait til this thing hits my hands...Stay Frosty and this one here have given me high expectations..

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Vein Elaine Chena Tone
              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• indeedido
                Veteran
                • Feb 2004

That's a rockin' tune. Bad ass. The more I hear the more I like. This album is going to rock! Can't wait for buh-buh-buh-buh bullethead!
                This space for rent.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Oh, and since we've already heard at least three songs that aren't created from old songs (The Trouble With Never, Stay Frosty, and China Town), Sammy is officially full of shit claiming that the whole album isn't anything but old stuff.
                  As usual, the Ched Rockhead doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to using old material. In fact, the song he named his restaurant/tequila for was based on an old Montrose tune called "Make It Last."
                  Last edited by chefcraig; 01-27-2012, 11:19 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                    That's a rockin' tune. Bad ass. The more I hear the more I like. This album is going to rock! Can't wait for buh-buh-buh-buh bullethead!
                    Also the one I can't wait to hear. It will be kickass if it's anything like the original Bullethead. That song would have fit right in on the first Van Halen album.
                    Last edited by Little Texan; 01-27-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by indeedido
                      The first time I heard Bullithead I was thinking how the fuck did this not make it on an album before Jump ?? Just a killer riff !! It sounds like they didn't fuck with it to much from the clip. If he changed the solo a little that's cool.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

I'm going to say it right now...just based on the tunes we've heard so far, this album is going to be better than at least one album of the 6 pack, Diver Down or 1984. Possibly top 3, even.
                        I wouldn't go that damn far.

As stellar as this album might be, it's kind of it's own thing.

and NOTHING fucks with the sixer.

Not then. Not now. Not ever.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

[QUOTE=hambon4lif;1603081]I wouldn't go that damn far.

As stellar as this album might be, it's kind of it's own thing.

and NOTHING fucks with the sixer.
                          I agree. Those albums have so much spirt too them. Even Diver Down with all the cover's on it. Then again the only one I hated was Dancing In The Streets. But if these guy's can finish off their careers in their 50's and probobly early 60's if the next one takes 3 year's, this is a good start.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                            I agree. Those albums have so much spirt too them. Even Diver Down with all the cover's on it. Then again the only one I hated was Dancing In The Streets. But if these guy's can finish off their careers in their 50's and probobly early 60's if the next one takes 3 year's, this is a good start.
                            People are pumped-up and fucking stoked about this album, I understand that. I totally get it. When I heard "China Town" my dick got so hard that I think it actually made noises at one point.
                            I'm proud of this band right now, and I think this album is going to fucking KILL!!

Having said that, I just can't bring myself to say that it's better than any of the six-pack. That's just crazy-talk!
                            Those six albums are the soundtrack to my life. The good and the bad. All of it.
                            I couldn't even begin to imagine what my life would've been like without them. I'm glad I don't ever have to find out.

This album sounds like it's the ace of motherfuckin' spades, but it's a card of a different deck. There's a different kind of truth for ya'.

Comment

• SunisinuS
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • May 2010

I cannot judge the album until I have heard the whole thing in sequence.

That is how it has always been and always shall be.

Den we can talk.

Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• VanCanHalen
                                Groupie
                                • Jan 2012

As great as the "6 Pack" is I believe as others that this album from at least the clips we have been able to listen to will hold up just fine as a grade A DLR Vanhalen album!

Comment

Working...