The Official Van Halen, "China Town" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baby's On Fire
    Veteran
    • May 2004

This is easily my favourite VH or DLR song ever and I haven't even hear the whole song yet.....new album or not. I'm in disbelief how badass this is......I was sketpic and at best expected an album full of so-so songs.

This sounds like Elephant Gun meets Shyboy meets Fair Warning. I'm amazed by this.

Dave's vocals and delivery and coolness is far beyond anything I would have expected. This song and album from the bits I've heard easily rival the 6 pack. I think only Fair Warning beats this.

This needs to be a single to snuff out any remainign naysayers.

Comment

• Halen High
      Commando
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hambon4lif
      People are pumped-up and fucking stoked about this album, I understand that. I totally get it. When I heard "China Town" my dick got so hard that I think it actually made noises at one point.
      I'm proud of this band right now, and I think this album is going to fucking KILL!!

Having said that, I just can't bring myself to say that it's better than any of the six-pack. That's just crazy-talk!
      Those six albums are the soundtrack to my life. The good and the bad. All of it.
      I couldn't even begin to imagine what my life would've been like without them. I'm glad I don't ever have to find out.

This album sounds like it's the ace of motherfuckin' spades, but it's a card of a different deck. There's a different kind of truth for ya'.
      Well said. As a fan since '81, I can't yet think in terms of placing ADKOT above Diver Down or 1984. The six-pack is just sacred to me. But having said that, we should keep an open mind. Particulary as a substantial part of this album was born during the Classic Van Halen era. I'm just trying to get my head around how incredible this music is - after all these years......

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

You know, it feels so strange to say this - but they couldn't have put out a record that's more for the fans than this one. It's like Dave, Ed and Al sat down and said, "ok, they've been beggin' for it - so we're gonna fucking give it to 'em!" I mean, just hearing the intro to Big Trouble/Big River, and She's the Woman, Blood and Fire, and on and on. Hell, I'm so fucking stoked I'm thinking about buying a couple of Ed's ties, some flip-flops and a new pair of shoes!!!

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by hambon4lif
          People are pumped-up and fucking stoked about this album, I understand that. I totally get it. When I heard "China Town" my dick got so hard that I think it actually made noises at one point.
          I'm proud of this band right now, and I think this album is going to fucking KILL!!

Having said that, I just can't bring myself to say that it's better than any of the six-pack. That's just crazy-talk!
          Those six albums are the soundtrack to my life. The good and the bad. All of it.
          I couldn't even begin to imagine what my life would've been like without them. I'm glad I don't ever have to find out.

This album sounds like it's the ace of motherfuckin' spades, but it's a card of a different deck. There's a different kind of truth for ya'.
          Hmm... I can see liking it more than D.D. just because it's more original's, Originals that should have been on D.D. !! Hey I love D.D. just because it's so fun. If this album was recorded in 1985 I think you put it ahead of D.D. if the songs sound as good as the clips all the way through. To be honest from what I hear of the clips the only thing that I might not like about this album is that the production is so good. I loved how tiny and thin the 6 pack sounds ! Shit Daves first 3 solo albums are better than D.D. I think. Listened to A little Aint Enough today at work. It grows on me more and more. Becker was fantastic on it !! But at the end of the day I really don't rate albums. If they have good tunes I listen !! I will listen to this one. Probably more than Diver Down.
          Last edited by 78/84 guy; 01-27-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• Baby's On Fire
            Veteran
            • May 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
            lol im pretty pretty sure those are sampled

Sammy buddy....You're wrong. It's not sampled....and it's not similar to RWTD. It sounds like the WOO on Sinner's Swing.

C'mon Pal get with it. Back to class with you.

No way is it sampled. The whole song vocally sounds almost exactly like Elephant Gun mixed with Shyboy...then merged with Fair Warning.

Dave's vocals are just badass. Better than I ever would have believed. Awesome. I'm amazed at this song.

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              You know, it feels so strange to say this - but they couldn't have put out a record that's more for the fans than this one. It's like Dave, Ed and Al sat down and said, "ok, they've been beggin' for it - so we're gonna fucking give it to 'em!"
              I've been thinking the same thing. Hell, they even gave us an anthem for the tour "we came, we came, we came...through blood and fire"!
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Smokin !

Running out of superlaptives at a rapid rate here !
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                  Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

I'm on overload, must sleep, but don't know if I can!

Oh dear.

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                    I'm on overload, must sleep, but don't know if I can!
                    I think I need to smoke another joint and knock myself out. It is SO hard to concentrate on school right now! I check here for news before starting homework...and then I'm doomed for the day. HELP, I NEED DISCIPLINE!!!!
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Baby's On Fire
                      This is easily my favourite VH or DLR song ever and I haven't even hear the whole song yet.....new album or not. I'm in disbelief how badass this is......I was sketpic and at best expected an album full of so-so songs.

This sounds like Elephant Gun meets Shyboy meets Fair Warning. I'm amazed by this.

Dave's vocals and delivery and coolness is far beyond anything I would have expected. This song and album from the bits I've heard easily rival the 6 pack. I think only Fair Warning beats this.

This needs to be a single to snuff out any remainign naysayers.
                      People who say things like "Lets face it Daves voice is shot so its only about the attitude now for me ? "

Always admired your fight, admiring the fact you admitting you were totally wrong !
                      If this shit is affecting (former) stubborn dude like you, then the war really has been won.
                      Let me be the first to say, Goood Onya BOF !!
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

For anyone who says Dave's voice is shot...Fuck You! If there is anyone posting here that STILL says the new Van Halen tunes aren't what they were expecting...Fuck You Very Much! This is NOT the band for you and you can piss off! As a matter of fact...there is a forum for you sheep..here or on another site - take your fucking pick!
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Carmine
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

I don't know if anyone has suggested...the very possibility...that we may just have indeed....

...heard the OPENING SONG of the A Different Kind of Truth Tour!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Carmine
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                            Smokin !

Running out of superlaptives at a rapid rate here !

Mark, you just invented your own new one "Superlaptives"

Comment

• chi-town324
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Feb 2007

Feb 7th can't get here fast enough!!!

Comment

• Terry
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Everything I've heard...all the various clips...VERY encouraging.

Once this is released, I'm gonna get both the regular and deluxe releases...the regular will live in my car...alone...spun non-stop...

It's been fucking EONS since I've looked forward to a new album. From ANYBODY.

Readily agreed Dave and the Vans did a smart thing by going back to the vaults and updating those unreleased demo treasures.
                                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...