The Official Van Halen, "Blood and Fire" review thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourthcoming

Yea.....no disrespect here......but I don't here the Spamburgler at all......I had to listen to that part about ten times before I even knew what was being questioned.....definitely not.

Comment

• SNIPER
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
      I thought so too. Dave's voice seems to get stronger the more he tours - he should record the next VH album on the road this year. I was really hoping VH would record after '08, as Dave was singing his nuts off at that point. When I saw him live solo back in '06, it seemed like he was definitely preparing himself, training so to speak, for the upcoming VH reunion in '07. His outfits were basically the same - his stage presence - no more leaps off the drum riser, etc. Can't help but wonder if he was seriously out of commission with some kind of virus after the new year. If VH were rehearsing as much as Dave says, his voice should have been up to speed. It took him a few shows to hit his stride - but to my ears he's definitely getting stronger vocally.

As for the She's The Woman scream - that's pretty funny. Never noticed that before. Totally sounds like a Runnin' With The Devil scream. Good stuff!

All the practice and training in the world could only get you to a point but not prepare you 100% for a tour IMO. You would need the first few weeks of the tour to be your real training in a situation where the show must go on and you can't wrap up the night if you don't feel good or play through sound and mike issues. In front of the live crowd it is another game.
      Last edited by SNIPER; 03-09-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by BenJammin
        Okay, I know I'm going way out on a limb here but here goes.... sounds like Sam there.
        I would chalk this one up to coincidence. Just don't let Sammy get wind of this post. He'll claim he sang the song.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• SNIPER
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
          Yea.....no disrespect here......but I don't here the Spamburgler at all......I had to listen to that part about ten times before I even knew what was being questioned.....definitely not.
          Even when I listened to it 30 times (yeah, I am a dork) to try to hear what the bro was talking about. I could clearly tell it was Dave's voice.

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by SNIPER
            All the practice and training in the world could only get you to a point but not prepare you for a tour IMO. You would need the firsts few weeks of the tour to be your real training in a situation where the show must go on and you can't wrap up the night if you don't feel good. In front of the live crowd it is another game.
            I hear ya - and you would obviously know better than I do about what it takes to tour (the closest I come to singing is wailing along to =VH= in the mini van).

My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• SNIPER
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

I would chalk this one up to coincidence. Just don't let Sammy get wind of this post. He'll claim he sang the song.
              Shit, he would claim he wrote it and talk about it at his next interview, that little cocksucker!

Comment

• SNIPER
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

I hear ya - and you would obviously know better than I do about what it takes to tour (the closest I come to singing is wailing along to =VH= in the mini van).

And I think they are starting to look really relaxed up there. Can't wait for vids and reviews for the show tonight.

Comment

• BenJammin
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Feb 2004

Well fuck me. Guess I'll make an appointment with an audiologist.
                  Was hoping at least there would be someone who thought they heard the same thing (again as crazy as it sounded).
                  Now just standing out on that limb by myself, anyone got a saw ?!
                  Last edited by BenJammin; 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM.
                  "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• fourthcoming

Hey man, don't feel so bad. A few years ago when I started singing for my band, I had to read all the lyric sheets to get the lyrics down 100%......turns out I was singing countless numbers of songs incorrectly to myself or in my head for the past thirty years!!! I made up or mumbled so many lyrics through the years and when I finally found out what the fuck they were actually saying it was kind of funny.

Comment

• SNIPER
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by BenJammin
                      Well fuck me. Guess I'll make an appointment with an audiologist.
                      Was hoping at least there would be someone who thought they heard the same thing (again as crazy as it sounded).
                      Now just standing out on that limb by myself, anyone got a saw ?!
                      Haha. your killing me bro.

Comment

• BenJammin
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SNIPER
                        Haha. your killing me bro.
                        Thanks for laughing with me [hopefully not AT me too much]. That's the way I am... people say I "lead with my chin" [boxing metaphor], not afraid to just put stuff out there even if I get knocked out ! Plus I feel a bit of brotherhood here with the DLR-positive crowd that I can let my guard down a bit.

I'll still maintain it doesn't sound quite right to me but 'nuff said.
                        Last edited by BenJammin; 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM.
                        "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• buckshotjenkins
                          Roadie
                          • Jan 2005

Dave channels...Yogi Berra?

According to a multiple sources, though I don't know where (whether as a youth or a player during his career) Yogi Berra had this funny exchange:

Teacher to Yogi: "Larry, don't you know ANYTHING?? Yogi: "Ma'am, I don't even suspect anything."

Roth in Blood and Fire:

It's a world of fools
                          That's just what's expected
                          None of 'em know it
                          Or even suspect it...

I think Roth is nodding to that, and I dig it either way.

Comment

• don don
                            Groupie
                            • Jan 2007

Great observation buckshot! Who knew? There are probably more "parallels" between Dave's and Yogi's observations on life. Very cool catch!

Comment

• qikgts
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jan 2012

Gotta love Yogi being tossed into a Diamond Dave discussion!

Here's a beauty... "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                              You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• buckshotjenkins
                                Roadie
                                • Jan 2005

Caught that on Ken Burns' Baseball, and it's a awesome line because it seems he wasn't being a smart ass. I guess he was just on a different attention level.

So is Dave. He catches it from everywhere!

Comment

Working...