China Town cover

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourthcoming

Originally posted by vanshipman
    Thanks very much! We've got a ways to go on it, but we're just mainly having fun.
    Dude.....that was kick ass....Drummer here also....props to your boy and props to you dude.....good stuff!

Comment

• vanshipman
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

I have to admit I got the tab book, but I had the basic brunt of China Town already figured out from watching Eddie and just fiddling about with it. I'm pretty disappointed with the transcriptions to be honest. People usually don't get Eddie entirely right, but hey, close enough for Govt work!!! lol

The solos a mean one in most parts, but not too bad to get close to. Eddie has an impossible touch to mimic exactly, people get close but there's only one Eddie.

And yes San Diego was very nice when I visited, certainly less umm pretentious? lol this was 1993 so maybe things have changed a lot since then.

A friend took me to Blacks Beach without filling me in on the de-tails...lol That was pretty interesting! However, I did not inhale...too many creepy old dudes that day. Lol

Comment

• vanshipman
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
        Dude.....that was kick ass....Drummer here also....props to your boy and props to you dude.....good stuff!
        Thank you very much Fourthcoming!

Comment

• VH Drummer
          Roadie
          • May 2009

When I was home last week for the first time in months, I was finally able to try some of these songs on drums. I couldn't even get through "China Town" because of the double kick. "She's the Woman," and "Blood and Fire" are my favorites to play from this album so far. Not having a drum kit here sucks; when I do play, I'm rusty since I can't really practice here.
          2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys

Comment

• vanshipman
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by VH Drummer
            When I was home last week for the first time in months, I was finally able to try some of these songs on drums. I couldn't even get through "China Town" because of the double kick. "She's the Woman," and "Blood and Fire" are my favorites to play from this album so far. Not having a drum kit here sucks; when I do play, I'm rusty since I can't really practice here.
            Yeah duplicating Alex Van Halen could not be too easy for sure. My sons double kick pedal is broke and he has to make do with one until he gets it to the shop. We've played Blood and Fire a few times and it's pretty decent, along with You and Your Blues. Keep playing them drums brother!

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

I have to admit I got the tab book
              It's not cheating. It's just an assistant. You still have to play the damn things. Book ain't gonna do that for you.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VH Drummer
                Roadie
                • May 2009

Yeah duplicating Alex Van Halen could not be too easy for sure. My sons double kick pedal is broke and he has to make do with one until he gets it to the shop. We've played Blood and Fire a few times and it's pretty decent, along with You and Your Blues. Keep playing them drums brother!
                When I lived at home I played 2 hours every day for years. Now I'm lucky if I get to play once every 2-3 months.

For your son--since the double kick is broke it can give him time to work on those Bonham kicks. Once I got the hang of it it really made my playing more dynamic.
                2012: 2/10 The Darkness, 2/20 Van Halen, 3/3 The Black Keys

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I have to admit I got the tab book, but I had the basic brunt of China Town already figured out from watching Eddie and just fiddling about with it. I'm pretty disappointed with the transcriptions to be honest.
                  Same here... China Town is missing parts. It just doesn't seem like it's all there.
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                    Same here... China Town is missing parts. It just doesn't seem like it's all there.

Does it indicate where you're supposed to use the Whammy Pedal in the chorus, for example, or no?
                    Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• vanshipman
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                      Does it indicate where you're supposed to use the Whammy Pedal in the chorus, for example, or no?
                      I agree, it does seem like its missing parts, but I figured out everything about the song on my own except the intro lick and the solo. And after I saw what the intro lick was, I was like duh!!! Lol

Comment

• vanshipman
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2004

I agree, it does seem like its missing parts, but I figured out everything about the song on my own except the intro lick and the solo. And after I saw what the intro lick was, I was like duh!!! Lol
                        Dude I'm sorry, I hit the wrong quote... Again...DERRR!!! I believe Eddie is using the whammy pedal during the "Welcome to China Town" part. It's buried in that mix fairly low. Eddie plays octaves there and then the horsie like sound, which I'm not certain, but I think is the whammy pedal. Hope that helps you.

Comment

• vanshipman
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2004

I believe you are right VAiN, some of it just doesn't add up. There are a couple of runs that are transcribed that don't seem to be right. But then again, it could just be me not doing it right...lol

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

That's why I just play the cd and leave it up to Edward to play it right. You guys are insane for even trying. I still can't get the intro part of ATBL down & I've been working on that for 26 years +.
                            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

What's that old saying about "nothing ventured, nothing gained"...?

Originally posted by sadaist
                              You guys are insane for even trying.

Yeah, there's the spirit.

Originally posted by conmee
                              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                              Originally posted by eddie78
                              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                                I still can't get the intro part of ATBL down & I've been working on that for 26 years +.
                                It's not that hard. Overdrive your amp, pick on an A minor chord and fumble around. Even if you don't get "ATBL" right away, you end up figuring out about six or seven AC/DC songs.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...