X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
    Any order will do for 1 through 12, then finish with As Is. The spooky, drive off into the darkness ending belongs at the end of the CD.
    +1

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
      +1

Actually, +2

Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

have we discussed because maybe this is only the second album we/I * were able to get "hot off the presses" that it is so fuckin' fun!!

* with the exception of zah and a few others...
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Halen High
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

Favourite track today...As Is - an absolute belter of a song. As Is and HBSD are how I imagined a Dave-fronted Van Halen album would sound today, particularly after Dave's "the music is harder than before" comment, following those sessions back in the early 2000s.

But I love the fact that they brought to life some of those discarded gems from the 70s...when I first heard Big Trouble I thought it was arguably their best ever moment. I was blown away when I discovered they'd finally released it, reworked perfectly with more mature lyrics to suit where they are now.

I'm still listening to at least a couple of tracks everyday and play the album from start to finish once a week. When all the rumours of a new Van Halen album with Dave were confirmed, my expectations went through the roof, yet they managed to surpass them. I genuinely think it's a masterpiece.
          Last edited by Halen High; 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

• Halen High
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            Any order will do for 1 through 12, then finish with As Is. The spooky, drive off into the darkness ending belongs at the end of the CD.
            Great point and love that imagery; "spooky, drive off into the darkness." Yeah it is spooky and would have been absolutely perfect to close out the album.

Comment

• conmee
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

I listened to the entire album on my flight from Houston a couple weeks ago. What's great was Wolfgang's idea to dig up some old gems... Because many were forged in the heyday, it just comfortably makes its home next to the first six. Sometimes I listen to the albums in order, ADKOT following 1984 of course, and with the exception of maybe HSBD, the songs all have elements that call back to the halcyon days of youth, while at the same time sounding new. Almost compilation-like in that I hear elements of each of the first six in the different songs on ADKOT. It was a good strategy out of the gate for a first new album in decades.

BUT... I'm greedy, it's time for the follow-up!!!! And with how slow the damn engineering/mixing/mastering blah blah went LAST TIME, I hope they have 8-12 tunes in the can already, not counting ones they may have recorded for ADKOT. If so, I'm thinking we get a nice new album 30 years after 1984 right around Jan/Feb 2014... If ADKOT is the final release, I can live with that, the circle from childhood is complete, and I've seen the boys play new music and Full Bug, Women In Love, and GGB for the first time in decades. I can deal... but one more album would be fantastic.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™
              An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• Halen High
                Commando
                • Jul 2004

conmee, when yoy say, "the songs all have elements that call back to the halcyon days of youth, while at the same time sounding new" - that's exactly how I feel when listening to ADKOT.

I think that was Dave's intention and perhaps even Wolf's. They certainly pulled it off.

I hope this talk of recording new music results in an album, rather than just a track or two for download or another bloody 'Best Of'!!!

Now does anyone know if Cafe Wha? was pro audio recorded? I would settle for a "Van Halen Live at Cafe Wha?" CD, with two new bonus tracks.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Apr 2005

Café Wha was too short for me. But would still love to have it. I don't understand why a early 07 or 08 show hasn't been put out when Dave was singing good and Ed was on. Some of those shows were really good. I don't think we will ever get one from last year the way Dave was off.

Comment

• conmee
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

I think they could cobble together songs from different shows to make a good DVD from last year. I don't think any one complete show would work, since Dave was hit or miss between air conditioning vent rage and not singing songs in original range, but at least for Oakland, which I felt in general was a C+/B- in the vocal department, if memory serves (I'll review my notes) I thought he pulled off Panama, ATBL, ICM, and Women In Love (this song he did very well mainly because it was in a manageable range and it was a song in which he didn't run around and dance and kick, just leaned up next to drum riser or sauntered over to Edward).

Maybe pick the best performances possible from the tour and you could compile a nice DVD. Not as fluid as a single show, but could give shout outs to the fans in various cities, and show different crowds/venues/reactions.

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™
                    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

2 major points....
                      The Trouble With Never: "Every Einstein's assigned a Tweetledee and Tweedledumber"
                      .....that's an amazing zinger of a line! "He who knows how will always work for he who knows why"
                      Once again, Roth wrote something that went the beyond the brothers depth of perception....

Blood And Fire: Although the chorus might be borderline corny, the "Told ya' I was coming back! ...say ya' missed me....say it like ya' MEAN IT!!!" still gives you the chills,

This is a phenomenal album!!!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jun 2004

And if you fucked the woman you were with last night to the rhtym of 'Honeybabysweetiedoll"....not to worry, they will call you back the next day.....they always do.

Stay Frosty,motherfuckers!!!!!

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
                          Café Wha was too short for me. But would still love to have it. I don't understand why a early 07 or 08 show hasn't been put out when Dave was singing good and Ed was on. Some of those shows were really good. I don't think we will ever get one from last year the way Dave was off.
                          Yeah Cafe Wha was a short performance, but Dave sounded very good and the setting was so cool with a very interesting story behind it. I think it would make a great DVD release IF it came with something else.

I agree with you on the 2007/08 tour...particularly '08 when Eddie re-appeared looking and sounding great. I don't know why they didn't release anything. Maybe they thought Wolfie was carrying too much puppy fat and it didn't come across well with Dave, Eddie and Alex looking all ripped and scarey-skinny! He looks good now but Dave's vocals are hit and miss. Although Dave could help himself by simply keeping to his range.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by hambon4lif
                            The Trouble With Never: "Every Einstein's assigned a Tweetledee and Tweedledumber"
                            .....that's an amazing zinger of a line! "He who knows how will always work for he who knows why"
                            Once again, Roth wrote something that went the beyond the brothers depth of perception.

This is a phenomenal album!!!
                            He actually says tweetle dumb and tweetle dumber. I don't think that line is as subtle as the correlation that can be made between Dave and the bros. in CGTSNM. If he truly is poking at them within the lyrics again, that is one ballsy move, when considering how far they all have come to burry their proverbial hatchets.

And yes, this is a phenomenal album. Keep'em comin' boys.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                              Veteran
                              • Jun 2005

The only difference between this album and the six pack is that i don't have memories of partying to it with beers and backseat escapades. This record is right up there.
                              RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                              LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• conmee
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                                The only difference between this album and the six pack is that i don't have memories of partying to it with beers and backseat escapades. This record is right up there.
                                Exactly... most fans' memories now are divorce, mortgages they can't afford, drinking light beer because of their burgeoning midsections, resentful children, rising college and healthcare costs, impotence, loosepussytence, saggytitstence, baldingtence, incontinence, etc... or in my case, whores and nose candy. "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a coke and hoes kid!"

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

Comment

Working...