Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

True. I hear ya. I was just thinking those 2 albums. I listened to them more than anything when I was younger. I had a tape (still have it ! ) that had both albums in one. For me I almost can't listen too one without the other. Cradle was the first new VH song I remember hearing on the radio when I really started getting into them. So i stil love it. Might be the one song Ed used a keyboard on that worked for the bands real sound. I like I'll Wait but it ain't VH too me. Mean Street is their best song to me.

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

A Different Kind Of Jewth was like your neighbor's annoying dog: yap yap yap. Big letdown. Big. Slop-poppy riffs, compiled with Roth's' horrendous and shot voice made for one disappointing listen. No need to wait and see if they get better. They won't. The time to forgo Halen is now before they embarrass their fans any further. Blue Oyster Cult stands a better chance of resurrecting their career.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Ye of little, well, actually no faith. I dug it. Give it an A, A-. If they follow it up, great. If not, we're good.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
          True. I hear ya. I was just thinking those 2 albums. I listened to them more than anything when I was younger. I had a tape (still have it ! ) that had both albums in one. For me I almost can't listen too one without the other. Cradle was the first new VH song I remember hearing on the radio when I really started getting into them. So i stil love it. Might be the one song Ed used a keyboard on that worked for the bands real sound. I like I'll Wait but it ain't VH too me. Mean Street is their best song to me.
          I'll tell ya, straight-up, that I don't care for I'll Wait. It's really only of interest in showing a different aspect to Roth's lyrical approach, but the lyrics and melody are just too mild and meek for my tastes.

Cradle isn't a bad track, but for me definitely isn't representative of the best WACF has to offer.

Used to have a 2 albums on 1 cassette of WACF and Fair Warning years ago: wore that fucker down, big-time.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I like Tattoo. Grooves right along...nothing too distinctive going on instrumentally, but it's a good showcase for Roth.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

I gave it a relisten last night and yeah, I still feel the same about it.

Comment

• VAiN
                Use my hand, I won't look
                ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
                I gave it a relisten last night and yeah, I still feel the same about it.
                And not a single fuck was given...
                Originally posted by wiseguy
                That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Kristy
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Exactly. Not a single fuck was given in the recording of that dismal pile of shit.

Comment

• Headly1984
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                    I'll tell ya, straight-up, that I don't care for I'll Wait. It's really only of interest in showing a different aspect to Roth's lyrical approach, but the lyrics and melody are just too mild and meek for my tastes.

Cradle isn't a bad track, but for me definitely isn't representative of the best WACF has to offer.

Used to have a 2 albums on 1 cassette of WACF and Fair Warning years ago: wore that fucker down, big-time.
                    I'll wait - has great lyrics(seeing a top model & wanting her but knowing in a few months / yrs & she will be more ez to approach) & while not Simple Rhyme, it is a solid tune imho

..Cradle ?? omg.. Have you seen Jr's grades?.. that is in our rock nomenclature -classic !

Comment

• Headly1984
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Kristy
                      yap yap yap. .
                      are we back in the Stones thread ?

Comment

• Rikk
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

My order (and I've realized my opinions really vary from others'):

1) BEATS WORKIN' - I've always been in love with the PUT OUT THE LIGHTS riff. Dave's new chorus vocal shows real melodic talent. Maybe not Ed's best guitar-work...but when this kicks in, I realize I'm driving 100 mph.
                        2) OUTTA SPACE - Again, always loved LET'S GET ROCKIN'. This is insane...great new lyrics.
                        3) BULLETHEAD - This just kicks in and it's over before you know it. Such a crazy, catch chorus. Didn't like it at all first hearing the album...but now a li'l ain't enough of this song.
                        4) SHE'S THE WOMAN - I used to write in old posts that if the band ever made a new album with Dave, they should resurrect this sucker. Should have been on the first album. Great version...great to see it officially out there.
                        5) BIG RIVER - Always loved BIG TROUBLE...the solo on this is superior. The new lyrics aren't necessarily an improvement.
                        6) STAY FROSTY - My wife's favorite on the disc. It's just amazing. I never thought the band was capable of writing material like this still. This song, more than any other, demonstrate how many other inventive moments we lost to all the Hagar/Cherone/drunken-stupor years.
                        7) YOU AND YOUR BLUES - Few songs on the album grew on me like this one. Lyrical references are superb...great descending riff on the pre-chorus. Great backing vocals.
                        8) CHINA TOWN - The most "1984-sounding" song on the album...with obvious reason (old Ripley demo). Dave is killer on this...not my favorite chorus, but man...the furious playing.
                        9) TATTOO - Yeah, now I like it. A lot. One of Ed's best solos on the album.
                        10) BLOOD AND FIRE - The single. Catchiest, most radio-friendly song. Then again, it wasn't a single. Fuckin' should have been. How did Dave write that amazing melody on the verses?
                        11) HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL - Not one of my favorites. It's okay. Great riff. The crazy rhythms help me enjoy this one...but it's one of the lesser moments.
                        12) AS IS - Yes, I know. Everyone fucking loves this one. Not me. To this day, I don't get it. Except for the fun drum intro (PANAMA live, anyone). Some good riffage...not crazy about the lyrics.
                        13) THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER - I never liked this song. Newer albums trying to sound like Hendrix don't work for me. Wah pedals really need a Kim Thayil atonal riff to work for me now...Hendrix and Clapton already owned the wah for me...I prefer listening to them play it. This song just doesn't work for me. It's catchy...but in a commercial-jingle kind of way. And I don't like the lyrics much. Only the amazing middle-part with the "Dance the Night Away" lyric works for me.

Okay...so, a different list to be sure. But it's honest. Still, I pretty much never listen to the album without listening to it beginning to end (my OCD side)...and I listen to the album a fucking helluva lot...especially the last two months or so.
                        Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                        Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

ya lost me at 11

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Too many songs...

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Rikk
                              My order (and I've realized my opinions really vary from others'):

1) BEATS WORKIN' - I've always been in love with the PUT OUT THE LIGHTS riff. Dave's new chorus vocal shows real melodic talent. Maybe not Ed's best guitar-work...but when this kicks in, I realize I'm driving 100 mph.
                              2) OUTTA SPACE - Again, always loved LET'S GET ROCKIN'. This is insane...great new lyrics.
                              3) BULLETHEAD - This just kicks in and it's over before you know it. Such a crazy, catch chorus. Didn't like it at all first hearing the album...but now a li'l ain't enough of this song.
                              4) SHE'S THE WOMAN - I used to write in old posts that if the band ever made a new album with Dave, they should resurrect this sucker. Should have been on the first album. Great version...great to see it officially out there.
                              5) BIG RIVER - Always loved BIG TROUBLE...the solo on this is superior. The new lyrics aren't necessarily an improvement.
                              6) STAY FROSTY - My wife's favorite on the disc. It's just amazing. I never thought the band was capable of writing material like this still. This song, more than any other, demonstrate how many other inventive moments we lost to all the Hagar/Cherone/drunken-stupor years.
                              7) YOU AND YOUR BLUES - Few songs on the album grew on me like this one. Lyrical references are superb...great descending riff on the pre-chorus. Great backing vocals.
                              8) CHINA TOWN - The most "1984-sounding" song on the album...with obvious reason (old Ripley demo). Dave is killer on this...not my favorite chorus, but man...the furious playing.
                              9) TATTOO - Yeah, now I like it. A lot. One of Ed's best solos on the album.
                              10) BLOOD AND FIRE - The single. Catchiest, most radio-friendly song. Then again, it wasn't a single. Fuckin' should have been. How did Dave write that amazing melody on the verses?
                              11) HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL - Not one of my favorites. It's okay. Great riff. The crazy rhythms help me enjoy this one...but it's one of the lesser moments.
                              12) AS IS - Yes, I know. Everyone fucking loves this one. Not me. To this day, I don't get it. Except for the fun drum intro (PANAMA live, anyone). Some good riffage...not crazy about the lyrics.
                              13) THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER - I never liked this song. Newer albums trying to sound like Hendrix don't work for me. Wah pedals really need a Kim Thayil atonal riff to work for me now...Hendrix and Clapton already owned the wah for me...I prefer listening to them play it. This song just doesn't work for me. It's catchy...but in a commercial-jingle kind of way. And I don't like the lyrics much. Only the amazing middle-part with the "Dance the Night Away" lyric works for me.

Okay...so, a different list to be sure. But it's honest. Still, I pretty much never listen to the album without listening to it beginning to end (my OCD side)...and I listen to the album a fucking helluva lot...especially the last two months or so.
                              I like your list. I'm with you on honeybaby. That one is a 2nd tier tune for me as well. I feel the same the way about Stay Frosty as you do As Is ((although I do love the Big Rock Finish in Stay Frosty), so I'd probably swap their positions. Also with you on The Trouble With Never. Outta Space just keeps getting better with each listen. Like you, I mostly listen to the cd in the given order, but when I'm feeling wild and crazy, I'll listen to it in Shuffle mode and that tends to produce some interesting results.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Any order will do for 1 through 12, then finish with As Is. The spooky, drive off into the darkness ending belongs at the end of the CD.

Comment

Working...