Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bjaramil
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Feb 2004

that corabi crue album is one of my faves...heavy!!!

Comment

• bjaramil
      Roth Army Recruit
      • Feb 2004

that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah

Comment

• bjaramil
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Feb 2004

this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bjaramil
          that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah
          Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.

Comment

• fraroc
            Commando
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
            Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.
            I agree about what you said Sam. His solo stuff is listenable but most of Van Hagar was complete sterotypical shite. (I love how brits say 'shit' btw) Summer Nights, Get up and Source of Infection would have actually been pretty good Dave songs if they were done with Dave in the band. Ironically, Sammy hates the song Source of Infection. But of course, every single self-respecting CVH fan thinks that Love Walks In and When it's Love is complete stereotypical 80s bullshit. The lyrics to Love Walks In don't even make any sense and sure as hell don't remind me of "love" When it's Love is 100000000% uninspired, cliche "I Love You" shit.
            How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by bjaramil
              this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!
              They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by sadaist
                They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.
                I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
                These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
                Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
                Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.

Comment

• Yount
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2012

So Van Halen will never again dominate like it's the early 80's....

What I wanna know is.... where's the NEW Van Halen? Where's the new Dave?

I feel like a sad old fucker when I say Van Halen is still the greatest band I have seen or heard. But it's true... still!

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

Or you can look at it from another perspective. VH gets to give what the fans want and have deserved for so long and can throw a flying finger to everyone else that doesn't appreciate them. I'm more than content with what they did give this year, but I hope they give their all these coming years too. We're very fortunate to get what we did. They put the luster back into the VH logo, and have many new avenues open to them.

I just hope we get more.
                    I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I hate to say this..... but thank god they hired Gary!

Comment

• Halen High
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                        I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
                        These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
                        Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
                        Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.
                        I think Dave understands the sensitivities involved but I also believe they've all reached an understanding. Those videos of Eddie, Alex and Dave were brilliant to watch. They were very honest and natural in the way they talked about their history and it showed they are at peace with each other. Actually, I think we've been pretty spoiled with everything we've got this year. ADKOT is so good that it sits comfortably with the six pack, a shortened but highly successful tour, all the videos including the unforgettable Cafe Wha? stuff...
                        Last edited by Halen High; 10-15-2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...
                          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                            Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Good lord.

Roth's songs are just not designed for any other singer other than himself.
                            =V V=
                            ole No.1 The finest
                            EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...
                              That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.
                                I agree with both you and Zah on this one. So much more could have been done, though, that doesn't involve roaming the globe. I know videos aren't really the shit anymore, but VH could have sparked more interest in the genre with kick ass creative ones. The "She's The Woman" video was a let down. Did they even bother to make one for "Stay Frosty"? That was a third single, no? Who even knew besides the handful of stations left? The promotion certainly has been weak. They also could bombard us with more music in the down time. They wouldn't have to lift a finger if they already recorded 30 or 40 tunes. Do we even know the particulars of the Interscope deal? Is it open ended as to allow VH to do whatever and whenever or is there a time table to an ADKOT follow up? I understand that they aren't quite the juggernaut that they once were, but they sure as hell have a lot of life and potential left.

Better use it up before it gets old.

Comment

Working...