"Push comes to shove" : Worst classic VH track?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • degüello
    Sniper
    • Mar 2004

Hey, thanks. Right back at you.

You've got a good point about PCTS's overall arrangement being cool, for sure, with the bass taking a more prominent role, Ed working and dancing around it instead of dominating, and everybody contributing melodically. Definitely a step outside of their usual band approach.
    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• pete
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by degüello
      Hey, thanks. Right back at you.

You've got a good point about PCTS's overall arrangement being cool, for sure, with the bass taking a more prominent role, Ed working and dancing around it instead of dominating, and everybody contributing melodically. Definitely a step outside of their usual band approach.
      EXACTLY.

Nicw to see EVH play with a groove instead of the groove serving him.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I love "Push Comes to Shove", but then I can't find a single flaw on any of the first 4 albums. Except the fact that they're too damn short.

The only truly weak song on the first 6 albums is "I'll Wait". Eddie could have saved that little slice of Velveeta for Hagar's Hallmark scribble and included "Big Trouble" on 1984 instead.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• degüello
          Sniper
          • Mar 2004

I'm forever defending I'll Wait.
          Might as well have a go, one more time...

I think its a cool track, with moody vocals, great lyrics, signature drum fill hooks, and a searingly tasty solo from Eddie, one of the few where you can actually hear his Clapton influences. And Dave's vocals are killer.
          "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• JCOOK

"She decides" and "You agree" shes' leaving

Please put that with anything roy has ever contributed

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
              I love "Push Comes to Shove", but then I can't find a single flaw on any of the first 4 albums. Except the fact that they're too damn short.

The only truly weak song on the first 6 albums is "I'll Wait". Eddie could have saved that little slice of Velveeta for Hagar's Hallmark scribble and included "Big Trouble" on 1984 instead.
              Agreed...

Comment

• JCOOK

Who is this Hagar person you speak of?

Comment

• vhsinger22
                  Groupie
                  • Apr 2004

" is there anything left in that BOTTLE" its a great tune!! i love all the b-sides. when classic radio has worn out all the hits, you can go home and listen to stuff rarely heard and it rocks!!!
                  look,i'll pay you for it...wtf?

Comment

• Angel
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

One of my all time favourite tunes! I love the Bluesy feel to it!
                    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Carmine
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2004

that tune totally defined mine and my friends teenage years. We used to hang out in my buddies freezin cold garage all the time, had our first drinks, smokes and women in that garage! the first couple of verses to the song were are lives at the time... everytime I play it now, its like a trip down memory lane....

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

I used to absolutely LOVE that track back in the day. I played it constantly, and it seemed to get better every time. I still love it, but it is one of the few Classic VH tunes that hasnt aged well IMO. "l'll Wait" has grown on me over the years.

Comment

• Big Troubles
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          Agreed...
                          verbatim

"Ill Wait" should've waited until 5150. "Big Trouble" or "Put Out the Lights" would've fit in great on 1984.

Well there is STILL a very good chance of seeing a Van Halen "Unreleased" CD drop within the next 2 years. (especially if Ed and Al spend all their tour money again)
                          "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Apr 2004

Some great posts in here!

PCTS is not my least favorite VH song, but it is my least favorite song on Fair Warning. (Sunday Afternoon is next to last, but I love how it segues into One foot out the door)

Deguello - great post on the "whiteness" and the Stones. Never thought of PCTS quite that way, and I think you're right on.

I'll Wait and Jump are my least favorite VANHALEN songs. Too Top 40 for me.
                            “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• pete
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

PCTS is one of their best tracks.

If I wanted a 1-dimensional baNd I'd listen to early metallica.
                              or Motely Crue
                              or other musicians who were more concerned with how the appeared to others than playing because they love music.

btw:late metallica sucks too - at leaat they tried though.

A work-out and cosmetics regimine is not enough to carry your music for the long haul.

Hear me fuckers!

Cut out the Vince Neil threads.

He's sad and always was.

Had you been confident (and not fat) in yourselves, you would have never bought this bullshit.

OPEN YOUR EARS YOU ASS-RECEPRICALS!!!!!!!

Comment

• pete
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

ONE OF THE BEST VH GUITAR SOLOS EVER

MIKE'S PART WAS AS ESSENTIAL AS THE GUITAR

ALEX ACTUALLY USED THE HI-HAT PEDAL

DAVE......... HE MADE THIS SHIT!!! (I say!)

Play it again - cock smokers!!!!

Comment

Working...