Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClubDave
    Roadie
    • Aug 2004

asking if he still has the scream is like asking if marvin gaye is still dead........you know he still has it man.......haha, good question though

Comment

• degüello
      Sniper
      • Mar 2004

This thread needs to be Calderonized...

As I've said over at DiamondDavidLeeRoth.com, Calderone's posted many lengthy, detailed, exhaustive and incredibly accurate analyses of the several subtle variants of the DLR scream. Calderone's even detected Pro Tools cut 'n' paste jobs of the same scream on Diamond Dave, and posted mp3 samples of it for debate and discussion.

I'd go as far as to call Calderone a Great Rothian Scholar and Master Professor in DLR Screamology. The scientist of scream.
      "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

But anyways, as Calderone's often pointed out, Dave completely stopped doing the trademark "whistle scream'' you're asking about, Leadsinger777, at some point in the nineties, or earlier (you'll have to consult Professor Calderone for exact years, song tracks, etc.).

He kind of replaced it with a newer sort of shriek-scream that's unlike anything he ever did with classic VH.

Dave's talked about this newer scream in interviews, saying that he's "found two whole new octaves" and loves it. (An example of it can be heard at the end section of Can't Get This Stuff No More.)

However, according to Calderone, the classic DLR whistle-scream has been resurfacing in recent times in Dave's set.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
          Head Fluffer
          • Feb 2004

"Calderone's even detected Pro Tools cut 'n' paste jobs of the same scream on Diamond Dave, and posted mp3 samples of it for debate and discussion.

I'd go as far as to call Calderone a Great Rothian Scholar and Master Professor in DLR Screamology. The scientist of scream."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...nice !

Comment

• spmusicplyr
            Foot Soldier
            • May 2004

Ugh i hate his new octave.

He's always screaming something like, " Go Go GO".....ugh it sounds horrible.
            Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• degüello
              Sniper
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
              ... hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...nice !

Cheers, bud.

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                Foot Soldier
                • May 2004

where are the screams posted?

Comment

• degüello
                  Sniper
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by spmusicplyr
                  where are the screams posted?
                  They were up over at ddlr.com before the big crash; they're all gone now. I'm sure once Calderone sees this thread, he'll post them again, if you want.

Where is that crazy fucker, anyways?

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

if anyone has them, post 'em.

Does anyone else not dig daves new octave that he discovered around the time of Your filthy little mouth? I liked it in the two new VH songs...but i dont think he uses it at the right times.
                    Does anybody know this " Go Go go" scream im talkin about?
                    It's annoying!
                    I just like the good old fashioned scream.
                    Does anyone know how to do them? I have gotten them out quite a few times, but im sure there are vocal exercises and methods to perfect them like he does so you can hit them every time you try.

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                      Foot Soldier
                      • May 2004

or does anybody know of anything online that i could read

Comment

• Leadsinger777
                        • Aug 2004

Actually, I don't care for the new "relacement" scream myself. It's sounds kind of strenuous to me. I do like the new lower octave though.
                        Dave sounds great when he's gettin deep and bluesy.
                        Anyway, Id idn't expect the thread to go that long.
                        Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't able to get to the screams on the website either.

As for lessons... nah, the only way I can do the scream is when I'm really hoarse.

Speaking of two octave screams... anyone remember Flotsam and Jetsam?

Was that dubbed or natural?

Thanks again...

Rick

Comment

• Carmine
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Leadsinger777
                          Speaking of two octave screams... anyone remember Flotsam and Jetsam?

Was that dubbed or natural?

Thanks again...

Rick
                          yeah I remember F/J, jason newsted is on the first album, was it doomsday for the deceiver?

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                            Foot Soldier
                            • May 2004

haha i didnt expeect it to go long either...

keep it going!

Comment

• frenchie
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jul 2004

i was watchin' some videos on this site about david. about california girls in 1995, what happened to dave's voice at this time? it's awful.david lee roth had a problem ,no?

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                                Foot Soldier
                                • May 2004

yea its funny...DLR's voice was horrible at that time.

I think he was focusing more on that new octave and forgetting
                                his regular voice.
                                Rock singing is damaging to the vocal cords over time, and i think that goofy high octave hurt his voice and t hats why he strains so much now.

Comment

Working...