Does Dave Still Have the Scream?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leadsinger777
    • Aug 2004

DLRoswgony - re: F/J - Yeah, I think 'Doomsday' was the first album. Newsted used to play bass for them. A friend of mine got me an audition with their guitarist Michael Gilbert. He was really great, and cool to talk to. He sent me some demo tracks a couple of years ago to write lyrics and melodies too, but it wasn't really the style I was looking for.
    Anyway, do you think those dual octave screams were real or dubbed?

Frenchie - I don't know what happened on the Leno show back in 95. I listened to it, and I think Dave did what he 'thought' sounded good. Again, it sounded kind of strenuous to me, but I think he was also trying to be a bit "over the top" since he was promoting his Vegas show. Of course Dave's always a little bit "over the top"... OK... he's always way over the top.

I haven't heard his new CD and I haven't heard much about it.
    How's Dave voice on this cover disc? Does he still have it?
    Does he use the "replacement scream" often?

Obviously we shouldn't expect him to sound the same as he did in the 80's and early 90's. He was in his prime then. He's getting older... I guess we all are. (though there are some 15 yr olds hangin on this site too!) Kind of wish Rock and Roll was still Rock and Roll... but that's a discussion for another time and another board.

Anyone have a song or two from the new disc they want to send to me? - you know to try before I buy it...

Rick

Comment

• Calderone
      Commando
      • Jan 2004

Hi all ...i gotta go now ..but i will post the truth today later
      all i can say now is that the man knew that the fans were
      missin the scream but he wasnt able to pull it off cause
      it was not in shape and he replaced it with the "go go go" new scream ...the fans found out this and decided to bring it back.
      he tried on 2003 on shoobop,thug pop,she's lookin good (which have the same scream) but that was not correct..the king of the hill style scream sounds similar but its not the classic one ..the one he does there is the "unchained aaahahahahaha scream"
      well...now in feb 2004 he got the classic scream back pretty well.i was amazed !!!
      i ll be back soon ...... btw i can do any scream exactly

Comment

• Leadsinger777
        • Aug 2004

Well, thanks for the update.
        I would like to hear it all when you have it posted. Send me a PM or a Link.

Thanks... R

Comment

• pete
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Leadsinger777
          So where can I hear it in some of the recent shows/songs?
          Anything on this site recent? Any of the new songs have the scream?

It's nice to know he's still got it.

R
          Japan Jan 2004, available here. Best VH or DLR concert I've heard sound-wise. Dave tears up Hot for teacher. Screams all over the end.

Comment

• Carmine
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leadsinger777
            [B]DLRoswgony - re: F/J - Yeah, I think 'Doomsday' was the first album. Newsted used to play bass for them. A friend of mine got me an audition with their guitarist Michael Gilbert. He was really great, and cool to talk to. He sent me some demo tracks a couple of years ago to write lyrics and melodies too, but it wasn't really the style I was looking for.
            Anyway, do you think those dual octave screams were real or dubbed?

they sounded real to me, I dug "doomday" out and gave it a listen the other day.

On the Diamond Dave disc, just grab it. Its not a rocker, but it is very good. He does a great version of "Soul Kitchen" on there, you wont be disappointed. BTW, I think his voice sounds the best on this CD...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

I love all the sounds he makes. I just played I'm the One, he's got all kinds of stuff going on. Grunts, groans, screams. The guys an animal. I dig it.

The last time I saw Dave he was screaming more than the prior year and I noticed he could hold it longer.

I love it.
              “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

He still does it. When I saw and MET him in December of 03, he was friggin awesome.

Comment

• Mezro
                  Full Member Status

• May 2004

Re: Does Dave Still Have the Scream?

Originally posted by Leadsinger777

Can he still do it? What do you think?
                  Yes.

Mezro...kick him in the balls and see...
                  Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• spmusicplyr
                    Foot Soldier
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
                    it was not in shape and he replaced it with the "go go go" new scream ...the fans found out this and decided to bring it back.
                    he tried on 2003 on shoobop,thug pop,she's lookin good (which have the same scream) but that was not correct..the king of the hill style scream sounds similar but its not the classic one ..the one he does there is the "unchained aaahahahahaha scream"
                    well...now in feb 2004 he got the classic scream back pretty well.i was amazed !!!

i hate the go go go scream.
                    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Calderone
                      I heard your screams over at DDLR.com. Anyone who has not should go check his shit out!

Calderone rocks!
                      “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• Wolverine

sadly dave lost his scream in the early 90's....it maybe a little better now...but nothing like 78-88!!

Comment

• DlocRoth
                          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

No shit, look at Robert Plant.

Dave will never have the "Easy Street" screams again (best screams IMO)

However, the whistle scream is resurfacing this tour.

Dave's voice is like a fine wine, just gettin better.
                          Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• DlocRoth
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Oh yeah, and P.S.

Not only does Calderone know everything about Dave's screams, he can also nail every one of 'em himself.

Hey Calderone, cover something off of "Sonrisa Solvaje"!!!!!
                            Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• fenway5150
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                              Dave will never have the "Easy Street" screams again (best screams IMO)
                              I'm glad someone mentioned this. That is, in my opinion as well, the best from Dave. I get the chills when I hear him hit those high notes at the end of that song.

Dave's always been a creative singer...maybe he felt he had to early on because of his limited range, but as the years went on he did so many things with it. That's why he's ultimately not just better than Hagar, who sings the same way all the time, but better than most rock singers of all time.

And, by the way, how can ya not love Calderone? I bust his balls for being obsessed at times but he is one of a kind...no doubt.
                              "To keep up with me, you must be fast. To sing like me, you must be great. To beat me? You must be kidding!"
                              - DLR, 2004

Comment

• Loons The Great

How do y'all think Diamond Dave's voice is doin' right nah in 2006?? Well well well...

Comment

Working...