X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
    One of the best conversions I've seen was an LT1 (370HP 350 V8) in a Porsche Targa. There's a company that specializes in that..
    I don't see the point. One of the joys of driving an air cooled Porsche is you use all the power and they have a thrust to weight ratio that makes them fun as hell to drive. Prices have gone up silly in the recent years. I wish I would have bought some and just sat on them.

I remember watching the stock class at the Bonneville Speedway and someone ran a stock 1600 Beetle. They stripped it down and ran one carburetor but had racing headers on it. I think they got 130 MPH out of it if I remember right. Someone raced a bus. LOL! It's all relative to the vehicle. A Model T at 40 MPH will scare the shit out of you because everything is so loosey goosey.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
      I don't see the point. One of the joys of driving an air cooled Porsche is you use all the power and they have a thrust to weight ratio that makes them fun as hell to drive. Prices have gone up silly in the recent years. I wish I would have bought some and just sat on them.

I remember watching the stock class at the Bonneville Speedway and someone ran a stock 1600 Beetle. They stripped it down and ran one carburetor but had racing headers on it. I think they got 130 MPH out of it if I remember right. Someone raced a bus. LOL! It's all relative to the vehicle. A Model T at 40 MPH will scare the shit out of you because everything is so loosey goosey.
      Cars are systems. When you upgrade the engine you usually have to upgrade other things. Most people overlook the suspension. If a car is old I usually like to leave them as stock as possible now. Nobody is making new ones and the more stock the more they tend to hold their value. If the car is junk then I don't care what people do with it but it's sad to see a perfectly stock classic get chopped and ruined now.

Comment

• Igosplut
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

One of the scariest rides I ever took (and that's saying something) was in a 74 Pantera. Hate Fords, but it was something weaving in and out of traffice at like 130. Tame maybe by todays standards, but it was something in the 70s...
        Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Anonymous
          Banned
          • May 2004

Yeah. What's the point of driving a super sports car at extreme high speeds? You're not feeling anything.

Drive a Model T or a VW Camper, if you want emotion. And you'll save on gas. You probably won't even get injured, if you crash. But man, THE THRILL!

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

My dad collected old Fords. I inherited a Model T, A Model A, and a Model B hot rod. The Model A had great brakes for it's day. Mechanical drum brakes on all four wheels. Ford bragged they had all steel wheel to wheel. By todays standards those brakes are horrible. I have everything adjusted and working but you get brake fade. I was going down a hill and coming up to a stop sign and the brakes started to fade. I had to pull the emergency brake to stop and avoid hitting the car in front of me. I always have to be careful and remind myself these old cars don't stop like modern cars. Brakes and suspensions were never really that great until the later 1970's.

You have to love the manuals on these old cars. You check the oil level on a Model T by opening a pet cock and seeing if any oil runs out on the ground. Then if your car is running ratty or not at all they tell you to take the fuel line out and blow through it with your mouth. LOL! Then of course you can easily break your arm or hand cranking the thing. It scares me every time I crank the son of a bitch.
            Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Imapus Sylicker
              Yeah. What's the point of driving a super sports car at extreme high speeds? You're not feeling anything.

Drive a Model T or a VW Camper, if you want emotion. And you'll save on gas. You probably won't even get injured, if you crash. But man, THE THRILL!

Cheers! :bottle:
              The thing about old VW's is they can have sat out in a field for years full of dirt and mouse turds but they still have the VW smell. All of them. I restored a Beetle. I would like to do a bus. I knew a guy who had a couple old buses but now people want them and they all got snagged.
              Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-04-2013, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I went 50 MPH on a bicycle one time. That was scary as shit.

Comment

• Igosplut
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

When I was a kid I pumped gas at a place that specialized in VWs. Hated every minute, but it's surprising how much I remember about them. I have a VW camper bus at my shop right now, one of the pop-tops. I shutter everytime I look at it...
                  Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Igosplut
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I went 50 MPH on a bicycle one time. That was scary as shit.
                    I would say. I had my stroker Harley up to 155 beside a Trans-Am I was racing. Don't think I'll repeat that......
                    Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I don't know who designed the gas cap on the 73 Beetle but it's a bitch to get out. If you don't put a film of grease on the threads it doesn't like to come out. That wonderful German engineering missed the boat on that one.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
                        I would say. I had my stroker Harley up to 155 beside a Trans-Am I was racing. Don't think I'll repeat that......
                        Hell a Trans Am is scary at 155. Once you hit 120 you start tracking in the ruts in the road. The only car I've been in that didn't do that was a Lamborghini with big ass tires. Everything else tracks in the ruts.

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Hell a Trans Am is scary at 155. Once you hit 120 you start tracking in the ruts in the road. The only car I've been in that didn't do that was a Lamborghini with big ass tires. Everything else tracks in the ruts.
                          Hell I've had my 66 straight axle Nova past 120 with bias ply tires (street slicks) and it tracked straight...
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                            Full Member Status

• May 2010

Oh lord I have been gone fast too so stupid...not fast like that road race video I placed in the Motorcycle thread but close....I never learn and I must.

But, I would get on a team now and not think twice about it....you all might miss me and a couple bar maids but ...hey I'm in..lol.

The worst thing about fast is a drunken friend at the wheel in a 75 oldsmobile with a 500 motor in it 20 years after the car was new doing 120 down a 3am highway I can't stand not being in the drivers seat.
                            Last edited by clarathecarrot; 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM.
                            2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                            clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• Dr. Love
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

no pics with dicks in them please ... I know you're only having fun, but Sesh has asked us not to do that
                              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Hardrock69
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2005

Ah....Just curious.

Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...