The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by jabrow75
    At first I was going back and forth on whether I liked the song or not, but one things for sure... I can't stop singing it! Can't wait for the album!
    i like the song, and like you, i was walking around my end of the machine the last day and a half singing it.

the video, however...i was slightly underwhelmed. i could have done without all the backwards crap. i don't expect a return to the Picasso Brothers approach to video making, but i think for a live performance clip it could have been a little better. they do look like they are having fun though, and i was glad to see that.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ian_hitmanhart
      "Swapmeet Sally, trampstamp cat, mousewife to momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo" is such a brilliant lyric. There might be better songs on the new album, but that lyric might never be topped. Awesome.
      Reminds me of Sturgis. You have a few real deal bikers and lot's of posers. Some trailer trash mom gets a new tat and now she's a biker bad ass. LOL! Dave is clearly a people watcher and what hes sees creates his lyrics.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
        i like the song, and like you, i was walking around my end of the machine the last day and a half singing it.

the video, however...i was slightly underwhelmed. i could have done without all the backwards crap. i don't expect a return to the Picasso Brothers approach to video making, but i think for a live performance clip it could have been a little better. they do look like they are having fun though, and i was glad to see that.
        I think they took the JUMP approach. Just show the band playing and having a good time.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber

The Picasso Brothers videos were the '80s equivalent of video games - IF you fed video games acid instead of quarters. I do think Dave was given a free hand to do what he wanted with this video - with certain exceptions and restraints firmly in place. Is that a bad thing or a good thing? I guess that depends on where you're standing, or what your point of reference is. I really wish the video was more colorful, and hell, since it's MY opinion, throw in a couple of midgets...then again, I'm really high so what do i know?
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• SNIPER
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

I hope on She's The Women there only bass going during the solo.

Comment

• fifth element
              Commando
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angel
              I can't stand reading the comments on Youtube anymore... Can't wait for the entire album to come out and put these idiots in their place. I love the song, and it's the freaking single, which is usually my least favourite. I remember how disappointed I was when I first heard "Jump", and I still cringe whenever I hear it....
              lol...spent some time this afternoon telling a WHOLE bunch of naysayers to stfu and go home, b4 i realized that my time was better spent....(as in listening to Tattoo AGAIN!!!)
              “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• fifth element
                Commando
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Reminds me of Sturgis. You have a few real deal bikers and lot's of posers. Some trailer trash mom gets a new tat and now she's a biker bad ass. LOL! Dave is clearly a people watcher and what hes sees creates his lyrics.
                loved the image that was made w/ the words:Here's a secret to make you think
                Why is the crazy stuff we never said poetry in ink...

and i really thought that the video was great for the song! a bit underwhelming at first, but it GROWS on you, just like the song...
                and culminates in a huge assed party, complete w/ balloons and confetti, at the end.
                “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• ashstralia
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Feb 2004

is it just me, or is anyone else pondering the significance of the checkered flag? i'm thinking it means 'the race is over. we won'.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                    Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

I just think he likes to wave things.

Oh dear.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Mar 2004

Got me a tattoo...wanna VH tattoo...wonder if Hopie's is still open? Nothing as elaborate as what some people want...just a simple VH tat...with a little bit of flair...
                      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• sambo
                        Sniper
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        is it just me, or is anyone else pondering the significance of the checkered flag? i'm thinking it means 'the race is over. we won'.
                        Hey Ash..

Now that you mention it... I really like that idea..
                        Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• fifth element
                          Commando
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by tod
                          I'm a conspiracy nut so I read little things like that as symbolic. I keep wondering if they need a disclaimer at the beginning for epileptics...that strobe effect is pretty thick.
                          lol...have watched it over and over w/ no issues....(yes, have epilepsy),
                          yet I can see that people w/ some forms of the condition might have problems w/ it.
                          However, those people generally have problems w/ computers in general....so........only worry might be watching it in concert...

Comment

• fifth element
                            Commando
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                            Got me a tattoo...wanna VH tattoo...wonder if Hopie's is still open? Nothing as elaborate as what some people want...just a simple VH tat...with a little bit of flair...
                            simple, but w/ flair....
                            love it...lol

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Jeez - It's not rehashed if it has never been released before. It is only public, because it's on an illegal, bootleg, recording ... songs that aren't released (in the case of Down in Flames) don't even have publishers, so it's not like they were making money off it in one form then releasing it twice.

I'm a writer - and I go back to material I started writing ten years ago that *never made the grade* and try and find ways to do something with it. It's what artists - painters, musicians, writers - do. They have ideas that they don't really finish to their satisfaction (or their publisher / A&R / record company, etc., don't think make the grade)

In any case - in music publishing terms, the top line (i.e., the vocal melody, although there may be slight similarities at parts of the song) and lyrics of 'Tattoo' are not the same as 'Down in Flames'. Even musically, it is really only the bridge, the chord changes under the chorus, and the swells at the end, which were at the beginning of DIF, that are similar .
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• salsanin
                                Full On Cocktard
                                • Aug 2004

Small Think from Italy
                                The Master is back!
                                Classic Van Halen is on fire!!!!
                                We all waiting an European Tour and my flag with '' Welcome back Master Dave '' is ready.
                                YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
                                CIAO AMICI

Comment

Working...