X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonrisa salvaje
    Veteran
    • Jun 2005

I'm looking for Manny to KO JMM by round 6. I think Pacman wants to get this monkey off his back in a bad way.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

I think he does, too. That's why they made the fight at a weight which suits Pacman. The logical weight was 140. But Roach/Pacman/Arum ain't taking any chances with JMM, who has arguably beaten Pacquaio twice.
      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Well, fuck me, that was a great fight. Really, really competive.

I have now watched it three times. I have absolutely NO FUCKING IDEA how they scored it for Pacman.

Pacman is an ATG. He has beaten some incredible guys - but what De La Hoya, Cotto, Margo, Morales and Barrera all had in comon is that they were all there to be hit. Against a boxer, he's in trouble.

JMM has been robbed twice now.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by binnie

I have now watched it three times. I have absolutely NO FUCKING IDEA how they scored it for Pacman.

Pacman is an ATG. He has beaten some incredible guys - but what De La Hoya, Cotto, Margo, Morales and Barrera all had in comon is that they were all there to be hit. Against a boxer, he's in trouble.

I can't wait to watch this. Sounds like more controversy. Binnie, i'm sure you scored the fight. How did you have it?
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

I too cannot WAIT to watch this now...I knew something was up the next morning when I read "JMM did NOT disappoiint" but that somehow PacMan had eeked out a slight win...AGAIN.
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Okay, so I watched the fight....here's the reality...Pacquiao landed more punches (not bigger punches, but more punches), and he was the aggressor in the fight...moving forward (again, not saying that's a cause for the win, but he WAS the aggressor). In many ways, the fight reminded me of that long ago Haglar, Leonard fight, in which Haglar attacked...attacked...attacked...and was foiled time and time again by Leonard...who brilliantly moved around the ring until the final minute of each round, and landed several punches that had no effect, but lasted in the judges minds. It wasn't exactly the same, but you could assuredly see some of the same strategy in JMM's fight plan...and of course...the outcome went against him.

I think this fight reminded me more of the Hopkins Calzeghe fight from a few years back...when Calzeghe landed a ton of punches that had absolutely no effect on Hopkins, and Hopkins hit the bigger punches. Calzeghe won the points fight in ridiculous fashion. Guys like Lederman always gives points to the guy he respects more. Okay...getting sidetracked...I could talk about that fight all day long. I'm not a huge Hopkins fan, but he got jobbed in that fight...similar to JMM in this fight.

While Pacquaio was the aggressor, he wasn't dictating the pace of the fight...JMM was...clearly doing that. Pacman has had fights in which he's thrown 900+ punches (when he's dictating)...I think he threw under 600 on Saturday. JMM clearly dictated the pace. So while he wasn't the aggressor, he was definitively leading Pacman in...and getting in close to keep him from his ridiculous flurries that open up his big punches.

I had Marquez winning round 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12...with ALL of the other rounds close.

Did JMM get "screwed?" I thought he dictated the pace in an effective manner, and imo...won more rounds...but...

no way he got "screwed." That was a close motherfucking fight. I really think that fight could have gone either way...but IMO...was JMM's best fight against Pacman...so he deserved at least a draw...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I just don't see how Pacman got the nod. He thought he'd lost - you could tell by him demeanor - Amir Khan (commenting for the UK), thought he'd lost. JMM was landing the more significant punches, they had some pop on them, and he made Pacquiao look ineffective.

I actually think it was much less close than their second fight, in which I could see a case for the fight being scored either way. I scored the first even and gave Pacquiao 6, 10, 11, 12. I gave JMM 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10. 3 and 8 was very, very close. We saw a great fight, but got a shitty result. A loss really wouldn't have dented Pacman's greatness: but a win would have enhanced Marquez's (there's now a case for him edging all 3 of their contests!)

No-one got 'robbed' in Calzaghe-Hopkins: it was too close to call. I remember watching it live and thinking that Hopkins had edged it as the bell rang in the 12th, before adding my scores up to see that I had Calzaghe 2 rounds ahead. It was an ugly ass fight, but Hopkins new he was losing (thus the whole 'I'll pretend he hit me low so I can take a breather' fakery). Calzaghe just out-hussled him, but neither guy really did all that much that was significant after the KD in round 1. Hopkins moved, moved, moved, and Calzaghe smothered him with ineffective punches.

The carreer of Joe Calzaghe - impressive as it was - is a case of missed opportunity (for which his promoter must really take the blame). And I say that as a fan. Shit, whenever he got in the ring with some real talent he schooled 'em. Jeff Lacy, Chris Eubank and Mikkel Kessler being the obvious cases in point. But there are so many guys they could have made fights with: Glen Johnson, Kelly Pavlik (it could - and should - have been Joe who exposed him), Jermain Taylor, Steve Collins (who actually backed out of the fight, not Calzaghe). But caution leads with Frank Warren, who clearly didn't want to risk the cash cow. Joe had a heroic amount of defences against some very good - but far from great - opponents (Mario Veit, Charles Brewer, Omar Sheika, Byron Mitchell,) but the whole camp just wasn't ambitious enough to make him reach his potential. He's still the greatest 168lber ever, and the consensus amongst the experts seems to be that if he'd been in the 'Super Six' he'd have been the safe bet.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Just got an interestig pic from the fight...

I just spoke to my UFC buddy, who watched the fight and pointed out a bit of shadiness on JMM's part: No less than 6 times did he step on Manny's right foot, preventing Manny from moving away from some combinations here and there. Never thought of Marquez as a shady fighter, but this isn't exactly kosher. He even sent me some screen shots of it....

I mean, I was hoping for a JMM win, but this was just like....wow!
                  If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

It's not like the 168 pound class is ripe full of talent though. They were good fighters for sure, but Calzeghe is the best of a middling division only touched upon by the truly talented on occasion. You could really make a case that Jones Jr. popped more punch in his short career as a Super Middle than Calzeghe did in much of his career. While I'm not going to argue that point, because it would ONLY be conjecture, some of Jones Jr's most impressive fights were at 168. Of course, I only think he had ten or so fights at Super Middle...

and I know he had to go down once or twice while at 168 to defend the middleweight title.

His fight against Toney...when Toney was the lb for lb king was legendary...total domination...and mockery of Toney in his priime.

Had he stayed there, and not gone up to light heavy...it would have been an interesting conversation regarding the top slot.

Had they fought five or six years earlier than their 2008 fight, it would have been a blockbuster...

Agreed that Calzeghe is the clear top...and Jones somewhere in the 3-5 range...but the what ifs are fun to think about.

I've never thought much of Calzeghe...perhaps out of ignorance...but ugly or not...I thought Hopkins won that fight...and should have gotten a rematch instead of that bullshit fight against a washed up Jones Jr.
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      It's not like the 168 pound class is ripe full of talent though. They were good fighters for sure, but Calzeghe is the best of a middling division only touched upon by the truly talented on occasion. You could really make a case that Jones Jr. popped more punch in his short career as a Super Middle than Calzeghe did in much of his career. While I'm not going to argue that point, because it would ONLY be conjecture, some of Jones Jr's most impressive fights were at 168. Of course, I only think he had ten or so fights at Super Middle...

and I know he had to go down once or twice while at 168 to defend the middleweight title.

His fight against Toney...when Toney was the lb for lb king was legendary...total domination...and mockery of Toney in his priime.

Had he stayed there, and not gone up to light heavy...it would have been an interesting conversation regarding the top slot.

Had they fought five or six years earlier than their 2008 fight, it would have been a blockbuster...

Agreed that Calzeghe is the clear top...and Jones somewhere in the 3-5 range...but the what ifs are fun to think about.

I've never thought much of Calzeghe...perhaps out of ignorance...but ugly or not...I thought Hopkins won that fight...and should have gotten a rematch instead of that bullshit fight against a washed up Jones Jr.
                      This may be just me, but I think a lot of it has to do witth both fighters leading with the same foot. I'm guessig this happens a lot to Pac...and he didnt bitch about it, so I'm guessing it asn't an issue...

Comment

• jhale667
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

This may be just me, but I think a lot of it has to do witth both fighters leading with the same foot. I'm guessig this happens a lot to Pac...and he didnt bitch about it, so I'm guessing it asn't an issue...

There's probably something to that, but my friend is a trained fighter (so I tend to give his opinion some extra weight amongst the rest of the office dudes), and said now that he's watched the replays a few times (apparently all the rounds are already up on YouTube) he says he's never seen JMM fight in the wider stance he was in that night (he's a fan of both JMM and Manny), and that he appeared to be watching for Manny's right foot and intentionally jumping on it... even given that he says the only reason HE thinks it wasn't a draw was that PacMan came off like the aggressor for the majority of the fight...but also agrees it was close, and Manny never dominated Marquez at any point in the fight.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

But if he wants another tune-up (can we call Ortiz atune up?), maybe a guy like Malignaggi would be interesting.
                          Ooof...

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2009

Looks like Manny "The Fraud" Pacquiao will attempt to fuck Marquez for a 4th time, fitting seeing he knows Floyd would beat his ass
                            The latest round of negotiations for the potential megafight between welterweight champions Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are over before they have even begun.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2009

Okay, so I watched the fight....here's the reality...Pacquiao landed more punches (not bigger punches, but more punches), and he was the aggressor in the fight...moving forward (again, not saying that's a cause for the win, but he WAS the aggressor). In many ways, the fight reminded me of that long ago Haglar, Leonard fight, in which Haglar attacked...attacked...attacked...and was foiled time and time again by Leonard...who brilliantly moved around the ring until the final minute of each round, and landed several punches that had no effect, but lasted in the judges minds. It wasn't exactly the same, but you could assuredly see some of the same strategy in JMM's fight plan...and of course...the outcome went against him.

I think this fight reminded me more of the Hopkins Calzeghe fight from a few years back...when Calzeghe landed a ton of punches that had absolutely no effect on Hopkins, and Hopkins hit the bigger punches. Calzeghe won the points fight in ridiculous fashion. Guys like Lederman always gives points to the guy he respects more. Okay...getting sidetracked...I could talk about that fight all day long. I'm not a huge Hopkins fan, but he got jobbed in that fight...similar to JMM in this fight.

While Pacquaio was the aggressor, he wasn't dictating the pace of the fight...JMM was...clearly doing that. Pacman has had fights in which he's thrown 900+ punches (when he's dictating)...I think he threw under 600 on Saturday. JMM clearly dictated the pace. So while he wasn't the aggressor, he was definitively leading Pacman in...and getting in close to keep him from his ridiculous flurries that open up his big punches.

I had Marquez winning round 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12...with ALL of the other rounds close.

Did JMM get "screwed?" I thought he dictated the pace in an effective manner, and imo...won more rounds...but...

no way he got "screwed." That was a close motherfucking fight. I really think that fight could have gone either way...but IMO...was JMM's best fight against Pacman...so he deserved at least a draw...
                              Just another chapter in the hype machine that is Pacman, reality will hit if he ever gets in the ring with Floyd, I've said it for years now, Floyd can and will destroy him, wouldn't even be close.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2009

You know what sucks about the whole PacFraud/Marquez thing? After 3 fights that could have went Marquez's way if he does agree to a 4th he will likely fight in a different manner and the Fraud will finally get a clean win over him. This whole thing blows, boxing needs saving from shit like this, I remember begging Mick to record fights for me when I was a kid because I was into it big time, loved watching anything I could get my hands on and while their was plenty of controversy back then to it just seems to get worse by the year, pisses me off.

Comment

Working...