X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Anyone tried Recabinet?

So has anyone else heard of, or better yet tried Recabinet with their recording rigs? I've been hearing good things about this software, and if it sounds better than the cab emulations in PODfarm it could definitely be worth having.

Recabinet - Album quality guitar tone, direct.

Recabinet Complete 2.0

Recabinet Complete 2.0 is our flagship product, and includes the entire Recabinet Modern and Recabinet Vintage libraries, for a total of nearly 2000 impulse responses of cabinets and microphones spanning the 1950s to the present day. The entire 2.0 library was sampled at Fox Force Five Recorders in Los Angeles using a pristine analog signal path into world class A-D converters (API 3124 mic preamps into Apogee Rosetta converters.)

Cabinets

* “Tangerine 4×12” - Orange 4×12
    * “1960 4×12″ - Marshall 1960AV 4×12
    * “Excel 4×12” - Randall RS412XLT100 4×12
    * “Ghandi 4×12″ - Mesa Standard 4×12 (newly resampled for version 2.0)
    * “Motown 1×15″ - Ampeg Portaflex B15N bass amp.
    * “Blackface 4×10″ - Fender ‘65 Super Reverb 4×10
    * “Tweed 1×12″ - Fender ‘53 Deluxe 1×12
    * “Green 4×12″ - Marshall 4×12 with Greenbacks
    * “Zodiac 2×12″ - Selmer Zodiac Twin 30
    * “Top Boost 2×12″ - Vox AC30

Microphones

* “57″ - Shure SM57 - industry standard dynamic microphone, the most popular microphone for guitar recording.
    * “545″ - Shure Unidyne III 545 - sought-after vintage predecessor to the Shure SM57, known for its smooth response, appreciated by those in the know.
    * “121″ - Royer 121 - legendary modern ribbon mic, extremely popular in modern recordings.
    * “409″ - Sennheiser MD409 - legendary vintage side-address dynamic microphone, used on many modern and classic recordings.
    * “421″ - Sennheiser MD421 - legendary dynamic mic, used on many modern and classic recordings.
    * “i5″ - Audix i5 - modern industry standard dynamic microphone, for a full-range, aggressive response.
    * “D6″ - Audix D6 - modern kick drum mic, great for getting the low “cabinet rumble” tone as a blend-in with your primary tone.
    * “U87″ - Neumann U87 - legendary condenser microphone with incredibly detailed, musical response.
    * “RTA” - DBX RTA reference microphone, known for its perfectly flat response and high SPL rating. Useful especially for Fractal Audio AxeFX users, and cool for everyone else!

Bonus - Recabinet Modern 1.0

Recabinet Complete 2.0 also includes the entire critically acclaimed Recabinet Modern 1.0 library, which includes the following additional cabinets:

* “Ghandi” - Mesa Standard/Oversize 4×12
    * “Angora” - Line 6 Vetta 4×12
    * “Igor” - Krank Krankenstein 4×12
    * “Genzie” - Genz Benz G-Flex ported 2×12
    * “Sterling” - Marshall Hand Wired 4×12 (late 1960s reissue)
    * “Damien” - Marshall 1936 2×12
    * “Kirby” - Carvin 4×12 British Series
    * “Manatee” - Ampeg SVT 8×10 Bass Cabinet (using Ampeg SVT Pro Classic power section)
    * “Trapezoid” - Roland Micro Cube (using native power section)

These cabinets were sampled using the Universal Audio 610 tube mic preamp, with the following mics:

* “57″ - Shure SM57 - industry standard dynamic microphone, the most popular microphone for guitar recording.
    * “i5″ - Audix i5 - modern industry standard dynamic microphone, for a full-range, aggressive response.
    * “4060″ - Audio Technica 4060 - modern high-SPL condenser microphone, for warm, full-bodied tone.
    * “D6″ - Audix D6 - modern kick drum mic, great for getting the low “cabinet rumble” tone as a blend-in with your primary tone.

Since this is a stand-alone plug-in, I'd also be able to run the direct out from my Mesa-Boogie into my M-box and record it w/Pro Tools in addition to all the amp models in PODfarm.

Check out some of the audio samples on the site...it sounds pretty good, potentially better than anything I've heard w/PODfarm or Amplitube alone...

Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

This kid's using a Boogie F-50 into his recording interface, and though the song is all about the Cookie Monster, he seems to be getting a very cool tone...(in that it doesn't sound like a cheese grater playing along with the record, like most cab-emulated pre-amp-only amp setups)

Think I'm going to pick up the software bundle in the coming weeks...

If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

Have you seen or heard a demo in person yet?

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
        Have you seen or heard a demo in person yet?
        Have you?

And where would one do that, precisely? I've researched it heavily and listened to every clip I could find thus far and I'm liking what I'm hearing.

It's about a 1g download, and it has a money-back guarantee. It's worth a shot.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

The digital emulation works if you are digitally recording an MP3. My problem with it is when it's used on stage at stage volumes. You can hear the processing and it sounds thin to me. It's loses the dynamics compared to analog.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            The digital emulation works if you are digitally recording an MP3. My problem with it is when it's used on stage at stage volumes. You can hear the processing and it sounds thin to me. It's loses the dynamics compared to analog.
            This would be used for recording only, so no worries there...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
              Have you?

And where would one do that, precisely? I've researched it heavily and listened to every clip I could find thus far and I'm liking what I'm hearing.

It's about a 1g download, and it has a money-back guarantee. It's worth a shot.
              I didn't work on this project, but a couple acquaintances are doing clinics with Apogee's new ONE interface -

Apogee Electronics > Products > ONE

They make a stereo input thing called the Duo for $600 bucks, this this is single-channel for half that plus a warez bundle.

I went to check their little demo out and critique presentation, and they're doing basically very well I think. I hope they're successful.

It was shown using a little Garage Band along with a couple other programs features, but I don't know what it comes bundled with but what I did like is the ease of useability.

With competition like this I would keep GC bookmarked for upcoming clinics on Recabinet because I'd expect a road tour if it's really that good. The ONE unit, that thing is good and I'm getting one.

Plus it's cheap, like me!

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

That's nice, but we're not talking interfaces here, we're talking cabinet emulation?

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Aha!

Someone asked a similar question on another board, and someone using PODfarm responded...

I have ReCabinet 2.0 AND Vintage and I can't get enough of them!

I too use mostly POD Farm and in a word...yes, it will improve your tone...somewhat. The thing is, it depends on WHICH cab you select with the amp model you are using. People who say ReCabinet does not sound as good as are misled or just too lazy to find the right setup. I'm almost certain that no one who discounts ReCabinet has tried every single IR within ReCabinet (there are several hundred) on every amp model they use. It's more difficult to find the tone your looking for this way because you'll have to work for it a little bit Wink I find it worth the effort anyway

"Better" isn't necessarily the word to describe the effect of using IRs. It's too subjective. IRs (ala ReCabinet) will make the guitar part more dynamic and realistic though. Sometimes it's only a subtle difference and other times it blows me away how different it is Surprised In the right context, a low-fi tone is the right one or, "better" tone for the part. Stay away from judging what's better and just enjoy the full palette of tones available to you. Use what works.

ReCabinet (the complete version + vintage) has just about every cabinet and mic you could EVER want or need. Some sound amazing and others sound shit and this reverses depending on the amp model you choose so...there ya go. It's ALL relative in the end.

Enjoy
                  Rich (blueman)

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

That's nice, but we're not talking interfaces here, we're talking cabinet emulation?
                    Don't all recording packages since Steinberg VST have some kind of amp/cabs group to sort thru?

Buddy of mine has had all that stuff, in Logic Pro and Protools before that, for yeeeeears.

I'm saying if it's all software-DSP anyways how different could one set of DSP be from another? Either they suck or they are "just-okay".

I know I can't run 4 stacks at 3am as I would like to, so this DI recording to me is still more Pod than I care to take seriously.

Direct Input/DSP recording is a good scratchpad but I haven't heard one good enough to take seriously enough as "keeper" material but if you're set on getting Recabinet then you get to be the board Ginea Pig on it!

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

That's Guinea Pig...and yes, looks like it..

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

This would be used for recording only, so no worries there...
                        Then you can get away with it and not only that, it probably will make the recording process easier and frankly probably better. These digital tools are eliminating the need for real sound engineers and propper studios. I'm amazed at some of the home recordings people are doing now.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                          I'm amazed at some of the home recordings people are doing now.
                          Me too, but probably not in the same sense...
                          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                            Me too, but probably not in the same sense...
                            I hear ya...
                            There's a kid who shall remain nameless that posts on one of the pickup forums...probably early 20s, extremely knowledgeable on pickups, magnets, recording gear, etc.
                            He posts links to his MySpace page - (sad part) production-wise, things sound great, surprisingly good, actually - but he's a terribly mediocre player, poor guy! In parts it sounded like a real band's CD or professional-quality demo that someone let their kid take a solo over. Very odd and ironic.

There's an amazing amount of sonic magic and/or turd-polishers on the market...

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Instead of hinting at the forum, link us so we can see this great tool in progress.. the warez, I mean not the kid!

uhuhuhuhhuhuh....

linky
                              linky
                              link....

Comment

Working...