X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mohican
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2011

Greatest three albums back to back by one glam/hard rock artist

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to post the entire article. This is Metal Underground's top 5 greatest albums back to back. Dlr is #3:

3. David Lee Roth – (Eat’em and Smile, Skyscraper, A Little Ain’t Enough )

For Roth’s first initial solo record, Eat’em and Smile no one needed a hit more than Diamond Dave, and he didn’t disappoint. The lead single, “Yankee Rose” was a rocker accompanied by a video with the famous line: “I’ll take a glazed doughnut and a bottle of anything, to go.” The videos for “Yankee Rose” and “Goin’ Crazy” may be the definitive height of the spandex era thanks to Roth’s numerous costume changes, most incorporating spandex with thongs worn on the outside. Eat’em and Smile was a well balanced album with rockers like “Shy Boy” as well as the “slow it down and show Dave’s seductive side” with “Ladies Nite in Buffalo?”. There’s even a cover of “That’s Life”, displaying Roth’s show biz nature, a side only he has been able to portray without coming off too corny, or cheesy, or both.

It was 1988 when David Lee Roth would release his second full length album titled Skyscraper. Apparently between albums Dave had done a lot of rock climbing and this became either the inspiration for the album, or just an outlet for Roth to showcase his feat.
    It was 1991, the height of glam/hard rock when David Lee Roth released his third full album, A Little Ain’t Enough. This album was far heavier than the previous and may be from first to last track, Roth’s most magnificent. The album delivers heavy guitars with great sounding vocals accompanied by gritty lyrics of sex, power, and more sex.

• Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Eat Em and Smile is a jumbo slice of 1980's American pop art.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• riggodrill44
      Roadie
      • Nov 2004

EEAS makes 5150 look like the Partridge Family. I can't remember the last time I listened to a track off 5150 willingly. Still have songs from EEAS on heavy iPod rotation. Elephant Gun! Are you kidding me? That tune makes the hole close on all the other albums in your record collection.

EEAS was Diamond Dave's way of saying, "I guess I don't need you guys after all. Jackasses."

Comment

• VAiN
        Use my hand, I won't look
        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

It has to be OUruined12, FUCKED, and Balance..
        Originally posted by wiseguy
        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Little Texan
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

VHII, WACF, and Fair Warning.

Comment

• Mikeyj122
            Groupie
            • Jan 2012

I know this is a dlr board and most people are gonna prefer him to sammy(which is fine, I do as well), but 5150, ou812, fuck, and balance are great albums that are part of the vh myth and lore and they should be appreciated and respected. Lets stop this silly dave vs sammy fued, cant we just love it all?
            Fuck every body

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mikeyj122
              I know this is a dlr board and most people are gonna prefer him to sammy(which is fine, I do as well), but 5150, ou812, fuck, and balance are great albums that are part of the vh myth and lore and they should be appreciated and respected. Lets stop this silly dave vs sammy fued, cant we just love it all?
              Um, no....

But welcome anyway....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Mikeyj122
                Groupie
                • Jan 2012

Well I like van hagar, dont get me wrong the roth stuff is better, but I enjoy the other stuff as well.
                Fuck every body

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Whatever trips your trigger, just sayin', you'll be better much off around here not spouting off about the Hagaritas....

Trust me on that...
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Are You Experienced

Axis Bold As Love

Electric Ladyland

Comment

• Mikeyj122
                      Groupie
                      • Jan 2012

I guess I dont really understand the animosity that sammy and da e fans have for each other. Anything that would help me better umderstand that I would appreciate.
                      Fuck every body

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                        Full Member Status

• May 2010

I would list Van Halen w DLR.. or Zep ( all good) in any order..I mean WTF... very few artists / bands have more than one single whole album,, I can stand ...lots have one single tune, I am a picky twizznot....and what was that whole grunge fucking thing that happened sometime ago..? I bought YFLM and nothing else durring the mid 1990's.

Glam...? That is a pretty narrow field..is Bowie Glam...? People place him there... I guess..wtf?

Yes, I am affraid of the -Kristy Quotient-.
                        2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                        clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by clarathecarrot
                          I would list Van Halen w DLR.. or Zep ( all good) in any order..I mean WTF... very few artists / bands have more than one single whole album,, I can stand ...lots have one single tune, I am a picky twizznot....and what was that whole grunge fucking thing that happened sometime ago..? I bought YFLM and nothing else durring the mid 1990's.

Glam...? That is a pretty narrow field..is Bowie Glam...? People place him there... I guess..wtf?

Yes, I am affraid of the -Kristy Quotient-.
                          The 1990's musically were garbage...I would have to agree with you. No thank you Grunge.

Comment

• fourthcoming

I would also have to add as far as three albums in a row goes...

Metallica: Kill em all
                            Ride the lightning
                            Master of puppets

and every Zeppelin album up until In through the out Door......still a good album but not on par with the rest. Honorable mention to the first two Ozzy solo albums and Paranoid through Sabatoge is a killer run. First three Kiss albums are their best too in my opinion. If the Beatles never made Magical mystery tour and yellow submarine, I would list Rubber soul right up to Let it be as a great run too. First three Ramones albums are pretty damn good too. Priest...British steel, Screaming for Vengenace and Defenders of the faith rock. I love the cvh 6 pack but would have to go with vhII, women, and fair. Eat em', skyscraper, and little aint enough are up there too with skyscraper being the weakest of the three. still a great album though.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• fourthcoming

How the hell could I forget pretty much anything Motorhead has ever done.

Comment

Working...