The Official Van Halen, "Tattoo" review thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToraToraTora
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2010

Amazon UK have pulled the clip, bastards!

Comment

• if6was9
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roth & Roll
      How on earth do you justify passing judgement on an entire song or album based on a 20 second clip?

Name me any great album or song, and I can find you 20 seconds which don't even begin to tell the story...are you serious, man?
      Are you suggesting that thay have intentionally chosen the worst 20 seconds from the album to promote it??? That would be an extremely odd strategy
      Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by if6was9
        Are you suggesting that thay have intentionally chosen the worst 20 seconds from the album to promote it??? That would be an extremely odd strategy
        Not the worst, but much like a movie, you don't show all of the explosions and car-chases in the TRAILER...duh...
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• SNIPER
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

I think they took it off

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Man, but this shit is a sample of the single. Which means it's supposed to be the best part of the most catchy track from the album.
            For crying out fucking loud, you haven't even heard the song. Before going on a bender, give the whole song a listen. If all anybody heard of JUMP was the outro, it wouldn't say shit.

Even then, that was a song that many VH fans had to hear a ton of times before getting on board with. Some never did, but 30 seconds does not tell you about a whole song. If if did, all songs would be 30 seconds.
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Well if they were the ones that did it it wouldn't have been taken down.

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
                I think a lot of what the non-musicians are missing is...that's what old demos are for (imagine a few others here will back me up on this)....hello? Every band/artist does it... and usually when it comes time to write new material, you find you may want to re-visit something that you didn't get around to finishing the first time, even years later.
                Bingo.

I make music with my band. Three or four of our latest songs are songs we started writing over 10 years ago. Listening to them finished is awesome...to me it feels like, "Why the hell didn't we finish working on that one back in the day?"
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

I think a lot of what the non-musicians are missing is...that's what old demos are for (imagine a few others here will back me up on this)....hello? Every band/artist does it... and usually when it comes time to write new material, you find you may want to re-visit something that you didn't get around to finishing the first time, even years later.
                  Pretty much......or the album is taking a direction that is perfect for an old song we did back then because it didn't fit the direction we were going at the time.

Or.....you worked up a song that was good, even great but could never quite get it right and you come back to it years later and it's the right place/time and you nail it!

The first song I had ever written didn't make it onto an album until 15 years later.
                  Last edited by kwame k; 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM.
                  Originally posted by vandeleur
                  E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Rikk
                    Bingo.

I make music with my band. Three or four of our latest songs are songs we started writing over 10 years ago. Listening to them finished is awesome...to me it feels like, "Why the hell didn't we finish working on that one back in the day?"

Yep........
                    Originally posted by vandeleur
                    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• if6was9
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Well if they were the ones that did it it wouldn't have been taken down.
                      Good point. Let's wait for the right one, then.
                      Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• Calderone
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2004

im pretty confident , passing the keys to dave + vh as a team is the magic ! they are back and will kick our asses real hard !

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ToraToraTora
                          Amazon UK have pulled the clip, bastards!
                          Of course they did. No doubt under orders of the US division of Universal Music Group (parent company of Interscope).

US record corporations & RIAA corporate fascists just can't fucking stand the fact that you might hear even 30 seconds of a new song without those fucking bastards making money from it.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
                            Veteran
                            • Jul 2009

Right on. It's what artists, do, period. Writers, painters, you name it - they are always revisiting ideas and unfinished works.

Jeez, WTF is the problem ...
                            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• conmee
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

It's hard to tell from the clip, and based on the video, the plodding pace has to give way to something faster and with a chorus. I agree if Dave ends up doubletracking his voice for backing vocals, it's gonna sound like solo DLR, especially with the keyboard filler. What I hear from the snippet is Skyscraper-esque plus CGTSNM but with a more pronounced/fat sound. Even if Al/Ed/Wolf don't sound exactly like Classic, they need to do backing vocals. I'm no Mikey apologist, and I'm stoked whether he's in the band or not, but without his voice is like a missing instrument in the Van Halen orchestra. We're not missing something as important as a violin, but he wasn't a recorder/french horn either (weirdos who played in jr high band know what I'm getting at lol).

But here's a HUGE plus regardless: DLR lyrics. No more love, jive, baby, hey every third word. Already like "...speaking cherry red, screaming 'lectric green, purple mountains majesty..." and something about "housewife to bombshell" in seconds flat or something before cutting off.

Anyhow, I'm stoked. There are 13 songs plus or minus a solo and perhaps instrumental intro plus a few reworked demos and a cover. We could still be in for 8 BRAND NEW all original tunes depending on the makeup of the song selection.

Last note. I think not everyone agrees that Jump is the strongest or rockinest song of 1984. Let's not assume Tattoo is the best song off the record and let's not assume the 20sec clip was the best part. I was on iTunes listening to longer samples and they managed to pick the weakest 90secs of a couple songs (yeah they were some 80s songs so not hard to pick 90secs worth of bad, but you get my drift).

That is all.

Icon~
                              An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• bru87tr
                                Commando
                                • Apr 2004

I can't get the clip to play on Amazon.

Found this though for anyone having trouble.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                "I've been rich and I've been poor....rich is better, totally better"

Comment

Working...