Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

When I first read the titles "Big River" and "Outta Space" I thought they were going to be cover tunes. Yeah, a rewritten "Big Trouble" did cross my mind, since Dave had already cannibalized the song title on SkyCrapper, but I was wondering if they were going to attempt the old Johnny Cash song.

And with Dave's old joke about being a "black man trapped in a Jewish body", a Billy Preston cover seemed entirely possible.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      I mean, come on! When I hear Thunder Thong I immediately get a mental picture of Honey Boo Boo's mom wearing a K Mart thong and farting like a rhinoceros.
      Thanks for that visual.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by FORD
        Yeah, a rewritten "Big Trouble" did cross my mind, since Dave had already cannibalized the song title on SkyCrapper
        Not SkyCrapper. Eat'em and Smile.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Thanks for that visual.
          Puhleaze.....what visual did you get from Thunder Thong? It sure as hell doesn't conjure forth images of hot blond bikini babes. Sounds more like the new panty line at Lane Bryant to me.

***Lane Bryant is a plus sized chick store. And their models are pretty hot
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            Not SkyCrapper. Eat'em and Smile.
            Yeah, you're right. Must be age related memory relapses....or I just haven't listened to any of the solo albums in a while.
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• cadaverdog
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Aug 2007

Thanks for that visual.
              I was getting ready to munch down a leftover breakfast burritto. The key word here is was.
              Beware of Dog

Comment

• DONNIEP
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I was getting ready to munch down a leftover breakfast burritto. The key word here is was.
                Is it breakfast time already in The South?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Aug 2007

Is it breakfast time already in The South?
                  I went swimming earlier, ate a couple burgers, got drunk, passed out and just woke up. It's time for breakfast.
                  BTW. The Wild Life sucked ass. Too much drama, not enough funny.
                  Last edited by cadaverdog; 06-28-2015, 01:09 AM.
                  Beware of Dog

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

I went swimming earlier, ate a couple burgers, got drunk, passed out and just woke up. It's time for breakfast.
                    BTW. The Wild Life sucked ass. Too much drama, not enough funny.
                    Drama?? What, the Vet stuff? Yeah, that was a downer. But the rest? Gold.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

Drama?? What, the Vet stuff? Yeah, that was a downer. But the rest? Gold.
                      The Lea, the cop with the Freddie Mercury stache and Eric triangle. Boo.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

The Lea, the cop with the Freddie Mercury stache and Eric triangle. Boo.
                        Lea Thompson was hotter'n hells.

The cop was a douche.

Stoltz's character had no ballz - I'll admit that. But he was supposed to have no ballz! That's why she was banging the fag cop!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                          Yeah, my rational mind says that should Anthony return, it wouldn't make a difference. However, if he did, like a bitch I'd buy the tickets.
                          Well the bass parts would sound more like the way Ed wanted them too be. His kid get's too do what he wants.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Terry
                            Yeah, my rational mind says that should Anthony return, it wouldn't make a difference. However, if he did, like a bitch I'd buy the tickets.
                            I think everyone obviously has a right to make a decision on whether to go to a show, buy or even listen to the new live cd, etc.

I am just getting tired of people claiming they are the only true fans because they are fighting the true fight, etc...boycott the tour because Mikey was dissed...c'mon.

If we based our decisions to buy or not buy made on ethical choices made by companies/entities what would we be buying exactly?

I am going for purely selfish reasons. For me its worth the money for the entertainment value, particularly the venues I am going to, is well worth the money.

Hell, a night at the movies for some formulaic movie is half the price of a show at Red Rocks. How many times have some of you told us in these threads that you aren't going to a show? I have a quick count tabulated for some of you:

WARF - 2,345
                            Donnie - 2,122

Honestly...enough. Don't go, please. Thanks,
                            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                              I think everyone obviously has a right to make a decision on whether to go to a show, buy or even listen to the new live cd, etc.

I am just getting tired of people claiming they are the only true fans because they are fighting the true fight, etc...boycott the tour because Mikey was dissed...c'mon.

If we based our decisions to buy or not buy made on ethical choices made by companies/entities what would we be buying exactly?

I am going for purely selfish reasons. For me its worth the money for the entertainment value, particularly the venues I am going to, is well worth the money.

Hell, a night at the movies for some formulaic movie is half the price of a show at Red Rocks. How many times have some of you told us in these threads that you aren't going to a show? I have a quick count tabulated for some of you:

WARF - 2,345
                              Donnie - 2,122

Honestly...enough. Don't go, please. Thanks,

People are free to use whatever rationale they want for attending or not attending the current (or future) Van Halen tour(s)...put it this way: they're certainly free to do that without getting a ration of online shit from me for it.

I mean, you run across odd mentalities among some 'superfans'. Some will claim they are 'more true CVH fans than you are' because they have every available bootleg of every show. Then, you ask them if they want to trade copies of some of those shows and they're all 'no way, I'm not trading copies of my collection'.

Or you get those who buy every single thing put out under the Van Halen name as soon as it comes out and never have so much as a single critical opinion about the content of any of it. If you happen to mention that, say, Where Have All The Good Times Gone on Diver Down was a track you found to be pretty weak by CVH standards, they jump all over your shit and blather 'hey, man, if you had heard that track live on the Hide Your Sheep Tour, you'd realize what a kick ass track it was, man!' Then you reply that you HAVE heard that track played by the band live on the DD tour, and you STILL think the album version is pretty lame, and you get the old 'true fans of the band wouldn't feel that way' song and dance.

If someone wants to boycott the band going forward because Mike Anthony isn't there, who am I to say that isn't a good enough reason for them to stop buying what Van Halen are selling?

I didn't bother with the Tokyo Dome album because what I heard of it it wasn't anything all that great to my ears. I'm not bothering with the current tour because the band aren't doing anything different from what they were doing 3 years ago live. What I got out of the band in 2008 and 2012 live was maybe 75% of the way there to what I would have deemed acceptable in terms of the band putting out a live performance that was worth the time, money and effort for me to attend. What the band is doing this go-around, from what I have seen and heard so far, is nothing substantially different from what they have been doing over the last 8 years. So I'm not going to the trouble of attending when it's just gonna be more of the same.

If what the band is doing now is an acceptable level of entertainment for some, I say that's cool. Enjoy the show. I just found from my last 2 shows with the band that I wasn't really enjoying the shows. I think maybe my memories of what the band used to be able to do (and what I honestly feel they COULD be doing now but are opting not to do because of age and ego) are just prohibiting me from accepting the band for what it is now, as opposed to what it was.

What the band was is over, and they're not gonna be able to recapture it for me. They had two chances to do so since 2007, and they came up short twice. When I heard the Tokyo Dome stuff and saw them on Kimmell and the Billboard awards, my response certainly wasn't enthusiastic enough to prompt me to buy the live album or get tickets for their Sept show in my area. In point of fact, my response was sort of 'meh'.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Jetstream
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Dec 2011

I have a non politically correct Hollywood old Indian response to this very serious question regarding the various opinions on such a serious rock group with such serious messages in the music...

1) Eddie speak with forked tongue, me no go
                                2) Me like crazy singer touched by Great Spirit, me go
                                3) They make lot heap wampum on tour, cheat red man, no go
                                4) Eddie play like soaring eagle, me go
                                5) They play same songs as long as grass is green and river flow, me no go
                                6) Me like Mike, me no like tatonka on thunder, me no go
                                7) Me drink fire water, make all good, me go

Ugh!
                                Last edited by Jetstream; 06-28-2015, 08:57 PM.
                                I got lost in the...

Comment

Working...