Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    • Jan 2004

Repubs have no respect for animals.

We have only 24 to 48 hours to try and save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The Republicans are trying to sneak legislation through the Senate approving oil drilling and they are incredibly close to winning. We have to stop them.

I am joining with Senator Maria Cantwell (D-Washington) in offering a critical amendment to stop this sneak attack on our environment. We will fight on the floor of the Senate, but we need you by our side.

There are seven key Republican Senators whose votes will decide the future of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Before they vote, we need to make sure they know that their constituents are watching, and that they will not be able to support drilling without anybody noticing.

Here are two critical steps we can take together to support our amendment to protect this National Wildlife Refuge:
    1. Join the Citizens' Roll Call

First of all, take part in a massive fast-moving display of citizen support for the Arctic Refuge. Sign our Cantwell-Kerry Citizens' Roll Call now.

To make our Citizens' Roll Call impossible to ignore, we have alerted the media, environmental advocates and my fellow Senators to a scrolling display of the names and home towns of the roll call signers. It is posted on our johnkerry.com website, where we hope to soon add your name and a running tally of the number of citizens on our Citizens' Roll Call.
    2. Bring the fight to the home states of the seven senators

We need to launch emergency online advertising campaigns in the home states of those seven critical senators: Senator Coleman (MN), Senator Smith (OR), Senator Specter (PA), Senator Martinez (FL), Senator Lugar (IN), and Senators Gregg and Sununu (NH).

We need your help to bring our Save the Arctic Refuge message home in these six states. Help us fund an emergency ad campaign to make sure they know how strongly the people they represent feel about protecting the Arctic. Please make an emergency donation right now.

When Senator Cantwell, myself and other Senators stand up in support of the Cantwell-Kerry Amendment, we will have powerful arguments on our side. (I have recapped some of those arguments at the end of this email message)

But, to win, we need to be able to report directly to our Senate colleagues that massive numbers of citizens around the country - and in their own states - are rising up to demand that the Senate protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

That's why your immediate signature is so critical.

The Bush Administration and its oil industry allies want to send a message that they can drill for oil wherever and whenever they want to - even if it means targeting a place as striking, pristine and irreplaceable as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

They don't care about putting America on a genuine path to energy independence. If they did, they'd support efforts to increase energy conservation and to create clean, renewable sources of energy that no terrorist can sabotage and no foreign government can seize.

Let me be very direct with you. It is going to take an immediate and impossible-to-ignore display of grassroots support to stop them. That's why your decision to sign our Cantwell-Kerry Amendment Citizens' Roll Call is so crucial.

Thank you for acting quickly on this vital request.

John Kerry

P.S. Senator Cantwell, who comes from a state in the heart of the Pacific Northwest, has - at considerable political risk - courageously stepped forward to join me in leading this fight. We need you to help us win it.

HERE ARE YOUR SAVE THE ARCTIC REFUGE TALKING POINTS

* The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's 19 million acres comprise one of the last places on earth where an intact expanse of arctic and sub arctic lands remains protected.
    * Drilling in the Arctic Refuge can't make even a small dent in meeting America's energy needs. U.S. Geological Survey scientists estimate that there is very likely only enough oil to supply America's needs for six months. And oil companies admit that, even that, won't be available for at least 10 years.
    * An irreplaceable natural treasure, the Arctic Refuge is home to caribou, polar bears, grizzly bears, wolves, golden eagles, snow geese and more. Millions of other birds use the Arctic Refuge to nest and as a critical staging area on their migratory journeys.
    * Of course, the Arctic Refuge supports more than wildlife. For a thousand generations, the Gwich'in people of Northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada have depended on it and lived in harmony with it. To them, the Arctic Coastal Plain is sacred ground.

If they can't respect humans, what did you expect?
    sigpic
  • Warham
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

I'm tired of our dependency on foreign oil.

Is this the reason I'm paying $2 a gallon?

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

I'll pay 2 bucks a gallon as long as I can keep clubbing baby seals.

Those daggone things are tricky and elusive.
      http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
      http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

The antelope will cope.
        “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

They'll get very little oil out of that place. There really isn't much recoverable oil in the refuge and it will hardly make a dent.

Comment

• Warham
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Liberals bitch about how the oil we are getting from the Mideast is too expensive and that Saudis are running this country, but when you talk about drilling in the barren wastelands of Alaska...Oh, no no, we can't be harming any polar bears now! We wouldn't want the birds migratory patterns to change.

It's a fucking two way street.

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I hate animals now..FUCK, I'm sooooo evil.

OK Libs on Energy, weigh in RIGHT now. Which way do you want it? Foreign oil or domestic? Alternative energy/technology? Tell me how you want it...

For the record, Republicans dont hate animals...we protected them at the convention, putting them in "cages"...don't want them to hurt themselves

Comment

• Warham
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Mar 2004

We let that beast Michael Moore run loose at the RNC Convention this year. He's scarier than any wild grizzly.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                  I hate animals now..FUCK, I'm sooooo evil.

Which way do you want it?...Alternative energy/technology? Tell me how you want it...
                  I like the alternative energy idea. Only, I have no idea where it's all going to come from (like as it no one has said where the hydrogen is going to come from so that's hardly the panacea it's been made out to be.)

Here's an idea, how about we no longer subsidize trucks and sport utility vehicles by holding the auto makers to the same gas milage restrictions/penalties they must meet in passenger cars. That's a reasonable start, isn't it?

For the record, Republicans dont hate animals...we protected them at the convention, putting them in "cages"...don't want them to hurt themselves
                  You'd better motherfucker! Or Mr. Pickles will send you a message from the balcony!

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Mr. Pickles?!?

What a pussy!
                    http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I would just like to express my public thanks to Senator Cantwell for casting 2 non corporatist votes within a week.

It's so unlike her, but lets hope she keeps it up. And Judas as well.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Big Train
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Ford...

Your energy choice, sir?

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                          Ford...

Your energy choice, sir?
                          Biodiesel is probably the most practical with current technology. Any existing diesel engine can use it.

Hydrogen fuel cells seem promising. and rapid local transit systems (i.e. light rail) could take a lot of congestion of the roads in metropolitan areas.

As far as home energy, solar and wind power are two great sources, though obviously their effectiveness has a lot to do with climate in any given area. The reason this has been slow to develop is that the corporate world isn't interested. Nobody can own the son or the wind, therefore they can't control the supply and create artificial shortages to raise prices.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• diamondD
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

When you look at the size of this refuge, it's not very big compared to the state. The ratio of what they will use with that space is supposed to about the same as putting a piece of newpaper down on a tennis court. As much as we have fucked up the rest of the country with development, I can hardly see why this is such a problem.
                            Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• Big Train
                              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Any other libs brave enough to answer (yes, I'm goading you..). The reason I ask is, as a hardcore neocon, I smell $$ in alt. energy, more than ever before and have no problem breaking off from the mainstream Repub's on oil. Oil I don't give a fuck about, own no stock in and have no personal feelings for either way. With China and Russia coming into the picture and more and more devices everyday coming along gobbling up more energy, traditional (read: oil) will become less and less a plentiful and useful thing we know and love it as.

While I feel there is no shortage or crisis with energy (read a really interesting book recently on resources in general). Energy is everywhere, it is just the manner in which we chose to harness it.

There is a global market for clean, cheap energy. Repubs are entrenched in oil and libs have no fucking clue about business, which is why government grants and studies produce shit. But now that growing numbers of business minded repubs are jumping in, it is time to get serious about it. Which means getting government the fuck out of the way and giving incentives to these companies for their R&D.

Will libs get it? Will Repubs try to block it? No and yes. Will it get done. Absolutely, because the $ speaks louder than all..

Comment

Working...