X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4moreyears
    Commando
    • Oct 2004

Casey sheehan has VH logo on hisheadstone

Memorial Day will be different this year at the Vacaville-Elmira Cemetery, where Casey Sheehan, a soldier from Vacaville, lies buried.

Until this week, more than two years after his death in Iraq, Casey's grave has been marked only by a small plaque. On Thursday, it received a headstone.

The elegant marble slab is thick and emblazoned with a cross and delicate thickets of trees on both sides.

"Our Casey," reads an inscription on the front. "Ever faithful, kind, and gentle, good son, beloved brother, brave soldier, dear friend, you loved your family and lived your life serving others to the end." Six icons grace the other side, representing a military insignia, the theater, Eagle Scouts, Van Halen, the World Wrestling Federation and Superman.

Also on the front are Casey's name and the dates of his life and death, which reveal an uncanny synchronicity. In addition to Memorial Day, Monday will also be Casey's birthday, the day on which he would have turned 27.

The installation of the headstone on Casey's grave is likely to get more notice than the vast majority of such installations. Casey's mother, Cindy Sheehan, has become a well-known anti-war activist since Casey's death, frequently in the spotlight in front of a highly divided crowd.

The absence of a headstone on Casey's grave became fodder for Sheehan's critics last year, who accused her of being negligent and disrespectful. Sheehan did not publicly respond for the first several months of such charges. But on April 10, she wrote a blog entry excoriating her critics and recounting the torturous experience of burying her son.

"I didn't want to put a tombstone on my son's grave," she wrote, capitalizing the letters of the word "tomb." "I didn't want one more marble proof that my son was dead."

For the first year after Casey died, wrote Sheehan in the entry, she referred to the place he was buried not as a cemetery, but as "Casey's Park." During that time

she visited the cemetery nearly every day, she wrote, placing fresh flowers weekly on Casey's grave.

Sheehan also said that her estranged husband Patrick had taken on the responsibility of handling Casey's gravesite.

On Friday, Sheehan answered questions about the headstone via e-mail from Australia, where she has spent the week speaking out against the country's support of the U.S.-led invasion in Iraq.

Sheehan said she had paid for the tombstone herself and was part of a family effort to put it up, even though its installation saddened her.

"It is important for the rest of Casey's family to have one," she wrote Friday. "I guess the pain of seeing it etched in marble that he is dead is another pain I will have to deal with."

That pain, said Sheehan, stems from her belief that Casey should still be alive.

"I still feel he was killed for lies," she wrote.

The headstone was very expensive, Sheehan wrote. She said that the government should have paid for it because of its responsibility for his death. But Sheehan said money is not the main issue.

"It's about the lies that are still killing our children and innocent Iraqis," she wrote. "It's about unnecessary tombstones all over the world because of the Bush regime."

The new headstone on Casey's grave won't impact her relationship with her son, concluded Sheehan.

"Casey's shell lies in the grave in Vacaville," she wrote. "He is with me always and in the hearts of people all over the world who know his story and are working for peace."

Patrick Sheehan did not return phone calls by press time Friday.

Link
    Last edited by 4moreyears; 05-29-2006, 08:46 PM.
  • 4moreyears
    Commando
    • Oct 2004

As you can tell his mother is still a cunt.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by 4moreyears
      Fuck you.

Who the fuck is an ignorant, illiterate little pansy ass like you to judge how a mother should mourn her son.

It's not all that uncommon for a grieving family to take their time with a headstone, for any number of reasons. The only reason you even know about it is that the corporate whore Bush blowing media, much like your idiot self, couldn't resist another chance to lash out at someone who turned the public tide against this useless occupation.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• 4moreyears
        Commando
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Fuck you.

Who the fuck is an ignorant, illiterate little pansy ass like you to judge how a mother should mourn her son.

It's not all that uncommon for a grieving family to take their time with a headstone, for any number of reasons. The only reason you even know about it is that the corporate whore Bush blowing media, much like your idiot self, couldn't resist another chance to lash out at someone who turned the public tide against this useless occupation.
        Mourn her son? All she does is use his death to push her agenda. She has not mourned her son. She is too busy trying to be famous.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Mourn her son? All she does is use his death to push her agenda. She has not mourned her son. She is too busy trying to be famous.

Yup!

Meeting with Chavez takes a priority to her son's gravestone?

What warped fucking planet do you live on, foLIARrd?
          http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
          http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD

It's not all that uncommon for a grieving family to take their time with a headstone, for any number of reasons.
            Amen to that...
            For one, they're damned expensive, especially when you couple that with funeral costs.
            Two, It takes a couple of months for a grave to settle, put it up too early and it could tilt as the ground finishes settling.
            3 to 6 months is what i was told, so initially people use a marker. they run from $12.00 to $85.00 and much higher.

Dying ain't cheap...for anyone.

Comment

• Dan
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

You are a SOB for saying that.

BTW...Fuck Off.
              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Nov 2004

You have no respect for the troops.

I imagine Casey would kick your ass for saying that about his mother. I would.
                Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

What a thread...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                    Yup!

Meeting with Chavez takes a priority to her son's gravestone?

What warped fucking planet do you live on, foLIARrd?
                    The real world where I happen to know someone dealing with a similar situation. A friend of mine died almost a year ago of cancer, and his "headstone" isn't on his grave yet, but will be very soon. I just happenned to see the plans for it yesterday, which ironically enough, would have been his birthday. And his partner is still working through the loss, as I imagine the rest of his family is.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

Two, It takes a couple of months for a grave to settle, put it up too early and it could tilt as the ground finishes settling.
                      3 to 6 months is what i was told, so initially people use a marker. they run from $12.00 to $85.00 and much higher.
                      whaaaaaaaaa?

The area the foundation that the headstone will evenutally stand on isn't over the coffin area that they dig up. There's a comfort zone between the burial area and the foundation area. So, there is never any danger of a foundation tilting unless they are jipping you of your plot space and putting it ontop of your coffin area, which can cause problems when it's time to bury more peeps in the grave. Plus, they place a block of cement in there, usually and surprisingly supported by two empty cement buckets (lil insider info for ya there). Foundation can be laid after one month or after the first serious rain after burial because that's when the risk for serious sinkage that may include areas not dug up passes. The exception is for burials in the winter when you need to wait til spring -- mid-March.

The thing that takes the longest is getting the actual finished headstone. A lot of the new sought after stones come from quarries in India and Asia and just getting the slab to carve can take 5 months. This is also why they are the most expensive.

Ah, the perks of living in a town consisting of nothing but cemetaries -- Working for momument dealers and knowing how not to get hosed.

But you can't use the money excuse for her. She spent so much flying back and forth to Texas. And if it wasn't her money, don't you think she could have answered that she didn't have enough money for a headstone for Casey? People would have donated money if that was the case. Look at how much publicity she got! You can't tell me that woman is hurting for money. You also can't tell me - like her or hate her -that she's not making money off of her kid's death. Let's face the cold reality, she is.

And I don't buy this enduring pain bullshit either. She spins it, once again, to be all about her. She's thrusted into the spotlight with how she sacraficed a son. Okay, anyone can give her that. But now she's sacrificing her happiness because she's allowing them to put up a headstone and how that aches her heart?! Why is it all about her? What about her son? I'm sure he would have liked a headstone! And I love how the rest of the family is made out to be evil because they wanted one.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Who said the rest of the family was evil? I only said 4morequeers was an ignorant, illiterate little pansy ass.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Maybe those two aren't mutually exclusive.
                          Maybe being active and having an "agenda" as you call it, is her way of mourning?
                          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

Isn't it ironic.......

No Con has commented ON THE THREAD TOPIC, but instead took the opportunity to SPIN it into another Cindy Bashing Thread......

" This isn't about my fucking mom, it's about my fucking headstone"

-Casey

Who are the REAL attention whores?

[ and I'm on the record as NOT being a defender of Ms. Sheehan, either]
                            Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ashstralia
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Feb 2004

'On Friday, Sheehan answered questions about the headstone via e-mail from Australia, where she has spent the week speaking out against the country's support of the U.S.-led invasion in Iraq.'

apparently no one told her that Mr. Howard was not home.

we did appreciate her corporate whore dollars, though.

Comment

Working...