• Sammy Who??
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Hagar claims VH sold 44 millions records with him

Sammy Hagar Reuters Interview

January 9th, 2006

Thanks to Dean Goodman

Interview with Sammy Hagar - January 8

Sammy, along with his former colleagues in Van Halen, will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 12. His publicist patched me through to him at his Mexican retreat in Cabo San Lucas on Monday, the day the news was announced.

CONGRATULATIONS. I GUESS YOU KNEW THIS DAY WOULD BE COMING SOONER RATHER THAN LATER?

Yeah, y\'know it\'s really true. Every year it\'s kinda like you\'re sitting there goin\', \'Well, it will probably be this year!\' Cos it\'s been over 25 (years) hasn\'t it?

UMM. YES. THE FIRST RECORD WAS \'78

I thought it was the second or third year we were eligible, but\'s it\'s cool.. It definitely was inevitable, wasn\'t it?!

IT\'S GREAT TO GET THE RECOGNITION, BUT I GUESS THE BIG ISSUE IS THE ON-STAGE REUNION WITH YOUR FORMER FRIENDS. HOW\'S THAT GOING TO WORK OUT?

I don\'t know! It\'s pretty unpredictable. I\'m not sure it will even happen. I\'m an easygoing kinda guy. I\'m living in Cabo (San Lucas, Mexico) right now. I\'m sittin\' here. I was just at the Cabo Wabo (Cantina) last night, playing with people I don\'t even know. So if I\'m willing to do that, I\'m willing to play anywhere. Michael Anthony\'s down here as well. We were playing all week down here, playing with Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers, this band called the Wonderbread 5 from San Francisco, played my wife\'s birthday party. We like to play, so all that\'s good. But I wouldn\'t go up there if there was some animosity, which you never know about. It\'s a strange bunch of people y\'know?

YEAH, IT\'S KINDA TRAGIC HOW THE WHOLE THING UNFOLDED

Right now, it\'s completely dysfunctional and just scattered all over the place. After that last reunion tour I did with them (in 2005), it just seemed like nobody was really happy with each other. So we kinda go our separate ways and do whatever. This is a great thing, though. Dave ... deserves this even more than I do. He was in the band first. I just hope no one tries to make it into something other than a great, really honorable event, like it should be.

IT\'S A PITY THAT YOUR SUCCESS IS ALMOST OVERSHADOWED. I GUESS IT\'S A CHALLENGE TO KEEP THE FOCUS ON THE ARTISTRY AS OPPOSED TO THE SOAP OPERA.

And the celebration, I think, together that we should really have. Under these circumstances, everyone should be proud of this and everyone should be respectful to each other: \'Jeez, couldn\'t have done it without you.\' Everyone should have that attitude. That\'s what it\'s supposed to be anyway! My contribution will be to try to make it like that, the best I can. If it turns into an ugly event I\'ll just leave. I wouldn\'t ever be part of something that wasn\'t respectful and honorable, my God. It makes me nervous, to be honest with you! ... If it\'s not functional, I wouldn\'t even be part of it.

I FEEL NERVOUS FOR YOU. I GUESS PHONE CALLS WILL HAVE TO BE MADE OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS BY PEOPLE TO PEOPLE TO REACH SOME SORT OF YALTA-TYPE AGREEMENT

There is time. If anybody even tries to negotiate with me about how it\'s gonna go, I\'m gonna go, \'Wrong!\' We all should just be there and go there and do what we\'re supposed to do and do it with a smile on our face, because everyone should be very happy. If anyone says, \'OK, we\'re gonna do it if Sammy will do this,\' it\'s like, \'Wait a minute. What the fuck?\' I dunno.

IT WOULD BE NICE IF THE FIVE OF YOU CAN MAKE PEACE AND SMILE AND BE COOL ABOUT IT.

I think the biggest problem is between Eddie and Dave, more than me or anyone, and then me and Dave. So you throw that little trio together. And then for them saying they threw Mikey out of the band, I don\'t pay much attention to any of that stuff. Having Mikey being there, he\'s the only bass player that\'s ever been in Van Halen! Eddie -- who knows? -- might want to bring Wolfie up and debut Wolfie or something. If it\'s used for that kind of a platform, it would be ugly. I hope for the best. It\'s really a cool thing. I was in the band for 11 years and then another year reunion, for God\'s sake, so I would think I would be voted in as well. But it wasn\'t mandatory because I had only been in the band 21 years (since his debut), or something like that. So there was a little quirk to it. The fact that they overlooked that -- 44 million records, or something, with me -- I think that probably was the right thing to do!! I\'m not blowing my own whistle, but it\'s really true! But at the same time, I am humbled by it, and it\'s very cool that they did. If they would have said, it was just the four other band members I could have lived with that.

WELL, THERE\'S A FEW GENERATIONS OUT THERE WHO ONLY KNOW YOU AS THE VAN HALEN SINGER, SO IT WOULD BE WEIRD OTHERWISE. IT WOULD BE LIKE INDUCTING AC/DC WITHOUT BRIAN JOHNSON

Exactly. So they did the right thing. So now it\'s up to the band to do the right thing. The good news is we\'ve got Irving Azoff as our manager. He\'s been my manager for a long time, and he took Van Halen over on that reunion tour. A guy like Irving\'s a very strong character. He can get a lot done, and get a lot out of people. Look, he got the Eagles back together, and he got Van Halen back together. If nothing else, that guy needs a feather in his cap for all that! So, he can probably make this thing work.

HE\'S HANDLING VAN HALEN AS WELL, OR JUST YOU?

Well, he mainly handles me. But since the reunion, I brought him in as a manager. He put the reunion together. No one asked him to do it. He just went around and lobbied to each member, and we all acted like we were in agreement. \'Sure, I\'d love to do it if everybody\'s into it.\' And he got it together, and he put us out there. And then it was dysfunctional. About halfway through, it went sour and he kept it together to the end. In the end, it was falling apart. It was frayed on the edges, and it was beat up and bruised, and he kept it together to the last show. We didn\'t cancel one thing. If he can do that, he can put us all together for one time only. The problem is that he doesn\'t manage Dave. I think Irving could manage anyone.

I\'M SURE DAVE WOULD LIKE THE RECOGNITION

I think this is Dave\'s night. I think Dave wants it more than anyone, and rightly so. He hasn\'t had it that easy since Van Halen. He didn\'t get a chance to go out and reinvent himself. So that makes it pretty difficult, and I would imagine he\'s gonna try to work this in every direction he can. As long as it doesn\'t get ugly, as long as he\'s cool about it and respects everyone, and says, \'Hey, I couldn\'t have done it without Eddie, Alex and Michael.\' And I say, \'I couldn\'t have done it without Eddie, Alex and Michael and yourself, Dave, because you were there first. You set us up to be what we were. And they couldn\'t have done it without me when Dave left.\' So I think everybody should take that attitude. I think that\'s the only hope here, is that everyone wakes up for two seconds and goes, \'You know what? We did this together, and without one another we probably wouldn\'t be in this situation.\'

I JUST HOPE HE DOESN\'T BRING OUT HIS MIDGETS AND STRIPPERS!

That\'s inevitable. Hello?! I might be the agent to book the circus for him. I\'ll be, like, \'Look, Dave. Let me take care of that for you. I know a few freaks down in Mexico. We can bring up the real ones!\' When we did the Sam and Dave tour (in 2002), when I took Dave out there on that tour, for the press conference he shows up with triplets and a couple of midgets and about five bodyguards.

I WAS THERE FOR THAT, AND WONDERING WHAT\'S THE OVERHEAD ON THAT ENTOURAGE?

Well, as the tour went on, they disappeared! C\'mon, that\'s Dave. That\'s why we love Dave. It cracks me up. We had a meeting before that -- and I can see this (the induction) being like the same event, which is why I\'m bringing it up. We all got together, Dave and I, and our managers, and we sat in a room, and everybody was so low-key, and it was very cool. I\'m going, \'Dave, it\'s really great that we can sit in a room like this and shake hands.\' \'Oh yeah, it\'s all good, it\'s all good.\' And then the press conference comes, and here he comes, like he just walked out of Van Halen 1984. And I go, \'Here we go! This is gonna be a night-. This is gonna be one of those rides. You say one thing and do another.\' If he came by himself, all humble. I would probably go up and give the biggest, most beautiful speech for this man he\'s ever had in his life. I\'s go up there and say, \'He deserves this more than anyone. This is his night.\'

THAT WOULD BE COOL. IT WOULD MAKE YOU LOOK GOOD AS WELL

That\'s the way I feel. Dave is highly responsible for starting this band, getting it to that point. There\'s no question about it. He deserves as much credit as Eddie, any day. Eddie\'s a genius guitar player, but as we all know a genius guitar player without a great frontman is just gonna be on a gold level, not a hundred-million-record level! And that\'s all there is to it. And a genius frontman with a bad band ain\'t gonna get anywhere either, so don\'t get me wrong. Dave\'s proved that too, hasn\'t he?!

THAT\'S QUITE THE TIGHTROPE THAT YOU AND IRVING WILL BE WALKING. I HOPE NO ONE FALLS OFF INTO THE SEA OF SHARKS.

It\'s all good. Like I said, if it turns ugly beforehand, if I see something coming, I wouldn\'t even go. That\'s the way I am. It\'s an honorable thing, and it\'s a cool thing, and I\'m happy to be there, but not if it\'s going to be embarrassing. After all these years and all this success, to go out now and embarrass yourself and tear it down, ugh! I\'m getting butterflies just thinking about that! I hope that doesn\'t happen.

I\'M SURE IT WILL BE GOOD

It will be entertainment, no matter what!

KEEP THE ALCOHOL AWAY FROM SOME PEOPLE (I.E. EDDIE VAN HALEN), AND IT WILL BE FINE

Oh, that\'s impossible! Wait a minute, I own a liquor company. How are you gonna keep it away from me?! I\'m gonna furnish Cabo Wabo (Tequila) for the whole damn party! Are you crazy?
  • Plexi Head
    Head Fluffer
    • May 2005

Not a Spammy fan at ALL but that is a pretty good read. Fair play to ya Sam.
    "One mouthful of you will rot every tooth in my mouth you little sugar"

Comment

• bantonelli
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Surprised how SPAM can be in business for himself and not know his mathematics.

VH sold more "millions" of records with DAVE....the statistics don't lie.

Van Hagar recorded more albums, BUT CVH albums sold more.
      "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I hate the way he is saying shit like: Yeah "WE have been eligible for 2 or 3 years".

BULLSHIT!

There is no fucking 'WE' about it!

Dave, spEd, Chimp & bassplayer have been eligible for 2-3 years.

That fat fucking klown is not even eligible.

Granted, he could be eligible with Montrose, or as a solo act, as they definitely happened over 25 years ago.

But it will be a cold day in hell before he ever gets inducted as a solo artitst, and he knows it. Why in the fuck do ya think he keeps running his goddamn mouth?

I predict the induction will be for CVH only.

I also predict that (as the flabberous one said) IF spEd decides the Hall Of Fame ceremony will be the right time to introduce Wolfie to the world officially, by having him play bass on a song or something, the crowd will boo.

What the hell. A lot of people want the original 4, and if there is anyone else but the four, some people will not be satisfied.

Ok so bassplayer is already scheduled to be on the dicksucking cruise when the ceremony is taking place.

Wanna bet Irving Azoff sweet talks him into flying away on a helicopter and flying to the ceremony?

Irving is no idiot. I predict he will try to manage to get all 4 of them on the stage at once.

It is in HIS best interests to do so (meaning, 20% of CVH is one helluva fucking haul if he can pull it off).

We will see.

I wish that goddamned poodle would shut the fuck up though. He opens his mouth and a river of shit falls out.

Part of it is the media. THey probably can only get interviews with Spambot. Ed hates interviews. Dave is staying hidden from Planet Earth. bassplayer and chimpy do not rate interviews.

So the press will constantly be asking spam the fat one for his opinions, and as a result the overfed oaf will continue to pontificate in his fucking self-imoprtant manner, and will say absolutely NOTHING of substance, just like the songs he writes....

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

To me, the more interesting fact is that Sam is the only talking about the RRHF.

Why are the Sisters saying shit all about it and letting Sam do all the talking?
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You know, Sammy's answers here ain't bad - at least not for him. He's certainly doing far less bashing here than most interviews.

But who the FUCK is this stupid ass kissing SHEEP doing the interview??
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by FORD

But who the FUCK is this stupid ass kissing SHEEP doing the interview??
              Mike Anthony?

Comment

• DLRdelight!
                Veteran
                • Jul 2004

well doesnt that interview with guitarworld come out this week?? i know there will be nothing of the hall of fame thing there since the interview is robably few months old but maybe it may give up some info on what is really going down???

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by DLRdelight!
                  well doesnt that interview with guitarworld come out this week?? i know there will be nothing of the hall of fame thing there since the interview is robably few months old but maybe it may give up some info on what is really going down???
                  lets hope so!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

At the very least he's starting to give Dave some credit, though he still cant resist taking some shots.........tired of every non Dave fan acting like he had NO success at ALL post VH.........

Comment

• bueno bob
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
                      At the very least he's starting to give Dave some credit, though he still cant resist taking some shots.........tired of every non Dave fan acting like he had NO success at ALL post VH.........
                      I do know that Bill Lumbergh had a tendancy to buy copies of "OU812" from Tower Records, take them out in to the parking lot and immediately smash them to tiny pieces with a hammer.

It was his public service sentence for re-enacting "Free Willy" near a school yard, if I remember correctly...
                      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• MAX
                        Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I have several scenerios regarding these statements from Hag...

He's either and finally both doing and saying what's right and paying homage to Dave in a respective fashin, which is something he should've done when he was given the keys back in '85. If The Round Rocker 'tis truly being sincere, then, I'll give him some credit. Still, it does not negate all of the shit he's both done and said over the last twenty years. BOTTOM LINE is that he's still a talentless asshole who got lucky.

Secondly, he might just be old and at peace knowing that his snugglebummy deal with Anthony is infact 1000% over with ever returning to Van Hagar. The Velveetapalooza kind of nailed that one in the coffin forever. Also, the mere FACTS that EVH has publicly named his son as Anthony's replacement and that of which we know for sure. Along with the lines that Dave will supposedly reprise the lead singer role for VH's latest tour of duty...

Then I still cannot help but to speculate that Spam KNOWS this whole show/induction will be filled with accolades to CVH and Roth. Hence, it being "Dave's Night" and Hagar just wants to be included.

However and again, I'll eat crow if Hagar's actually realized what we've all said for years now? I've heard that old age will infact give certain people moments of clarity and reality?

I'm also wondering if all of his kiss ass remarks are some sort of a plot? Meaning, he hopes that the ceremony implodes with either/and/or Dave and Edward taking potshots at Hagar and Anthony and Hagr's trying to do damage control prior so he can blame them when he's mocked?

Seriously, after all of these years I still worry. It's just like in Dave's book where Dave claims (regarding Alex's behavior) whether he's being "set up?"

I'm just hoping Hagar's been told that the night BELONGS to Dave, CVH, he's just a sidenote and NOT what the crowd wishes to celebrate. Sooooo and with all of that being said, I'm truly hoping reality has set in with Hag and that all of these remarks are sincere.

It's just hard for me to fathom this jealous moron praising Dave at this stage in the game unless he was given strict guidelines as to what is expected during the induction ceremony and he want's to fit in both however and wherever he can...

Lastly, this might most certainly be his (and Anthony's) last breath regarding VH. Especially IF there shall be a VH family tour featuring the return of Rock and Roll's GREATEST FRONTMAN at the helm. Seriously, one verse of Dave playing ANY song alongside Edward will eclipse ANYTHING that Spam can attempt that evening.

Again, this truly is an enigma...
                        Last edited by MAX; 01-10-2007, 07:28 AM.
                        EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Golden AWe
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Yup, he's afraid that if he doesn't act nice both Ed and Dave will kick his ass...something they will do anyway, physical or mental way...

"He didn't get a chance to reinvent himself"

Well, he still sold more solo albums than Hagar...
                          Originally posted by Cato
                          Golden, why are you FAT?
                          Originally posted by lesfunk
                          Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                          http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• MAX
                            Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Golden AWe
                            Yup, he's afraid that if he doesn't act nice both Ed and Dave will kick his ass...something they will do anyway, physical or mental way...

"He didn't get a chance to reinvent himself"

Well, he still sold more solo albums than Hagar...
                            EXACTLY!!!

Also, when has Hagr EVER "invented" himself in the first place?

"I Can't Drive 55?" What the fuck is that shit?

Seriously, at the ceremony, I'd bet that the crowd would go crezzi if Dave and Ed busted out "Just A Gigalo" whereas it would be time to hit the bar and eat hors ‘dourves if Hag even attempted one of his solo offerings.
                            EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Bob_R
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Nope.

No way Van Hagar sold 44 million records.
                              Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

Working...