• Show
Clear All
  • CVH Rulz
    Head Fluffer
    • Jun 2005

Mike speaks to MTV

Sep 4 2007 7:51 AM EDT

Michael Anthony Says He's 'Not Going To Whine About' Van Halen Reunion Snub
    'It would have been cool to get onstage with Dave again,' original bassist tells MTV News.
    By Chris Harris

You've got to hand it to Michael Anthony: The dude is all about taking the high road.

While Anthony, Van Halen's original bassist, wasn't asked to participate in the band's long-awaited reunion trek with inaugural frontman David Lee Roth (see "Van Halen Reunite With David Lee Roth -- Tour Kicks Off September 27"), he doesn't seem all that miffed. Eddie Van Halen's 16-year-old son, Wolfgang, will be taking over on bass (see "Michael Anthony Says He Wasn't Invited To Van Halen Reunion, But Calls His Replacement 'A Great Kid' ").

So is Anthony disappointed? You betcha — but he's not going to let it ruin his fall.

"It's not like it was totally unexpected," he told MTV News during a recent interview, "only because of the strain from the 2004 tour and how everything's been since then." Anthony is referring to the band's 2004 reunion jaunt with Roth replacement Sammy Hagar, which grossed almost $55 million before ending on a sour note (at the conclusion of the run's final gig, guitarist Eddie Van Halen smashed one of his guitars and quickly walked offstage).

"That's the one thing that's really kind of sad," Anthony continued. "It would have been cool to get onstage with Dave again, but I'm not going to whine about it, because that's the way it is. Why waste my time trying to make a stink about it?"

Instead, Anthony is going to be hitting the road with Hagar this fall for a tour that kicks off in Biloxi, Mississippi, on October 19, and runs through November 17 in Sioux City, Iowa. The tour will feature Anthony's Mad Anthony Express, Los Tres Gusanos, the Other Half, and Sammy and the Wabos.

"I just want to go out and play for the fans," Anthony explained. "Sammy sold part of his tequila company and made a lot of money on that, so he doesn't have to do anything if he doesn't want to. But that's what it's all about — getting out there and playing. I'm not doing the Van Halen tour, so Sammy asked me to come out with him again."

He said everyone "and their mother" has been asking him why he's not doing the VH reunion run, and he's not sure what to tell them. Anthony dismissed rumors that his exclusion from the reunion tour had anything to do with his partnering with Hagar in the Other Half.

"I was touring with Sammy when Van Halen wasn't doing anything, and people said that got under their skin, and they felt like I was betraying them or whatever, which I really wasn't," Anthony explained. "I wasn't going to sit home and do nothing. My wife wanted my ass out of the house. So when Sammy called and said, 'Hey, want to come out and jam a song or two?' that's how it started. I don't know why I wasn't asked to do the tour."

In fact, he admits he hasn't spoken to Eddie since 2004 and agrees with many of the band's fans, who reject the notion that the forthcoming Roth run is a bona fide reunion.

"I know in the past there's been a lot of fighting and drama, but I'm not into all of that, especially now," he said. "And I'm not going to sit there and whine about it and call these guys mother------s and the whole bit. It is what it is, and if [Eddie] wants his kid to play with him, fine. But they're really throwing him into the lion's den right off the bat. This is going to be a tough enough tour for those three guys, having not played for so long, and then throwing [Wolfgang] in the mix? ... I hope he does OK. It's sad that the fans aren't going to see the original lineup."

But Anthony was most upset by Van Halen's reported attempts last month to erase him from the band's 35-year history. Fans lashed out at the band after photos of Anthony on Van Halen's official Web site were allegedly removed or replaced by an image of Wolfgang. The pictures were restored within hours, soon after fans took notice and began sounding off on various VH message boards.

"When I went on the Web site, that was probably more upsetting than anything else," he said. "On the first album especially, they replaced my picture with a picture of Wolfgang, and I was like, 'What's someone trying to do here?' I am proud of Van Halen's history, be it good or bad or whatever. I love everything about the band. I guess the fans spoke out, because the next day, they changed it back. I really don't know what to say to that. If that's the way they want to play it out, then that's the way they'll play it out."

The tour, he said, is "going to be interesting this year, because earlier in the year, Sammy did this cruise down to Cabo San Lucas, and he asked me if I wanted to play on the ship. I thought, 'Yeah, that'd be cool to do,' but I didn't want to get up there and just play with his band and do Hagar songs as I always do," Anthony said. "So I thought, 'I'll grab his guitarist Vic Johnson and his drummer David [Lauser], and we'll learn some early Van Halen stuff,' and somebody called it the Mad Anthony Express. We did a couple of shows and played the really old stuff: 'D.O.A.,' 'Atomic Punk.' I lead-sang it, and it was so much fun. So we did it again Father's Day weekend in Lake Tahoe, and I put this thing together. We opened the show, and everybody loved it so much, Sammy's going, 'Hey, we need to go out on tour and open with the early stuff.' So here I go."

Anthony said the tour with Hagar will run for about a month. Then there will be a brief break before the tour commences. They plan to keep it going up through next summer. He also said there's a chance he and Hagar will start working on music together and that it's possible the duo might release a record some point down the line.

Sorry the video or page cannot be found. The page may have been removed, had its name changed, or is just temporarily unavailable. Please use search or visit our home page. Thank you.
  • Eyes of the Night
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Hmmm ... wella I didn't know 04' grossed 55 mil ...
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Grant
      Sniper
      • Feb 2005

Re: Mike speaks to MTV

Originally posted by CVH Rulz
      Fans lashed out at the band after photos of Anthony on Van Halen's official Web site were allegedly removed or replaced by an image of Wolfgang.
      Uh, "allegedly"??? Does this guy need bloody binoculars, or something?

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

He should do something NEW.

find Neal Schon or something and come up with something....

Him lead singing Dave ?
        I won't say it.
        Someone will post another YouTube of it. Why do people do that?

Comment

• Douglas T.
          Full Member Status

• Nov 2005

Here's an old clip ...

Comment

• Viking
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Since Journey kicked Jeff Scott Soto's ass to the curb, it sounds like mebbe that whole 'Planet Us/Soul SirkUS' paycheck ought to get taken off blocks for another test drive. All they'd need is a drummer.

Anybody got Chris Slade's number?

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
              Head Fluffer
              • Aug 2007

Has anybody ever taken in consideration that Dave and Ed just want this to be a new fresh band just like Dave said... I mean the only people just dyin to call this a reunion tour is the MA lovers...Plus I for one kinda side with Ed on what Mike did during Ed's cancer, divorce and his Mom's death. No loyalty really went the Fagar and made money on music Ed wrote. I mean he really could not have been around 5150 that much if he was out sharing a bus with Sammy. When you read Mike's interview, he makes it sound like he just was out with Sammy for a song or two. That is big pile of Sammy shit!!! TYhe fuckin guy played with Sambo on some of the shows during the Dave and Sam Toiur in 2002. Inever heard him offering to play with Dave dueing his set. As I recall he was with Sam every step of the way. If I was Dave I would say fuck him just like Ed has. GEE, Mike it is too bad your band mate Ed got sick in 2002 and made you have to set home. Fuckin selfish prick!! It is amazing how all the Mike muts forget things so quickly...Poor Mike, give me a fuckin break. MA fans do not go to the VH show save your hard earned money and buy hot sauce and tequila and take it with you and go to the Spam and Mike Tour along with other 200 fans that will be in attendance!

Comment

• chi-town324
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Feb 2007

MA lead singing? unreal

Comment

• lonnieg5
                  Roadie
                  • Jul 2005

Mike's not in the band because Eddie wants his son there. It's simple as that.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                    MA lead singing? unreal

Shhh
                    tread lightly Brosef.
                    someone always posts a michael singing old VH from that youtube.

on the DL

we donnnnn needit

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Word has it Vic's new guitar tone has been painstakingly worked on to as closely as possible resemble the sound that RoseAnne makes when someone steps on her foot.

Comment

• topjim2y
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2007

pete north's costar needs a bib

Comment

• Pasadena Bunnie
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Jul 2006

Re: Mike speaks to MTV

Originally posted by CVH Rulz
                          Sep 4 2007 7:51 AM EDT

"That's the one thing that's really kind of sad," Anthony continued. "It would have been cool to get onstage with Dave again, but I'm not going to whine about it, because that's the way it is. Why waste my time trying to make a stink about it?"

"I was touring with Sammy when Van Halen wasn't doing anything, and people said that got under their skin, and they felt like I was betraying them or whatever, which I really wasn't," Anthony explained. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/156...831/id_0.jhtml
                          Bassplayer being "Sad" that he will not be back on stage with ROTH ???......Bassplayer has said his fair share of negative *hit about being on stage with Dave, so it sounds like he's trying to backpeddle.

Bassplayer's quote about "People said...." (HA!) - People = ED & AL

and his bit about Wolfgang is a subtle hint at hoping for an invitation to join the tour....

Time to cut the ties and fagettabatt-it!

Comment

• mewisemagic
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jim Shetterlini
                            Has anybody ever taken in consideration that Dave and Ed just want this to be a new fresh band just like Dave said... I mean the only people just dyin to call this a reunion tour is the MA lovers...Plus I for one kinda side with Ed on what Mike did during Ed's cancer, divorce and his Mom's death. No loyalty really went the Fagar and made money on music Ed wrote. I mean he really could not have been around 5150 that much if he was out sharing a bus with Sammy. When you read Mike's interview, he makes it sound like he just was out with Sammy for a song or two. That is big pile of Sammy shit!!! TYhe fuckin guy played with Sambo on some of the shows during the Dave and Sam Toiur in 2002. Inever heard him offering to play with Dave dueing his set. As I recall he was with Sam every step of the way. If I was Dave I would say fuck him just like Ed has. GEE, Mike it is too bad your band mate Ed got sick in 2002 and made you have to set home. Fuckin selfish prick!! It is amazing how all the Mike muts forget things so quickly...Poor Mike, give me a fuckin break. MA fans do not go to the VH show save your hard earned money and buy hot sauce and tequila and take it with you and go to the Spam and Mike Tour along with other 200 fans that will be in attendance!
                            Amen to that!And dont let him bullshit you for a minute that his lead singing duties started anytime lately,He was whipping that mule to death on last summers "1st shit second time around set" with Dickcheese!

Like I said in another thread,Neither of these gas bags ever thought in a million years that this tour would come to be reality,And ripping off the lagacy of Van Halen for their own betterment is their game...PERIOD.

I like Mike as much as the next guy for his contribution to this band and as a person up and too the point that he became a sellout,

Yeah,Thats right folks a fucking sellout,

Following Sams every move and suggestion as neither thought that this tour would see the light of day...

Shame on both of these pukes but everyone gets what they deserve in the end,And Im here to guarantee ya thats where these two are giving it to each other......In the end

PS...To any of you Mike Anthony loyalists..

Pony up that ticket money and get get ready for these two assclowns to Spam your ass all night with Tequila and Hot Sauce plugs!

Not to mention that they will most likely get you there early(to sell more concessions)

Go on 30 minutes late(to sell more concessions)

Take a 30 minute break between each band(to sell more concessions)

Starting to see a trend here?.....Probably not,Which is what I would expect from anyone loyal to either one of these panhandlers...

...But with any luck you might get a free fake straw sombrero and a watered down Cabo Icee for your hard earned money....LMFAO!

RED IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
                            Last edited by mewisemagic; 09-04-2007, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by mewisemagic
                              Amen to that!And dont let him bullshit you for a minute that his lead singing duties started anytime lately,He was whipping that mule to death on last summers "1st shit second time around set" with Dickcheese!

Like I said in another thread,Neither of these gas bags ever thought in a million years that this tour would come to be reality,And ripping off the lagacy of Van Halen fot their own betterment is their game...PERIOD.

I like Mike as much as the next guy for his contribution to this band and as a person up and too the point that he became a sellout,

Yeah,Thats right folks a fucking sellout,

Following Sams every move and suggestion as neither thought that this tour would see the light of day...

Shame on both of these pukes but everyone gets what they deserve in the end,And Im here to guarantee ya thats where these two are giving it to each other......In the end

PS...To any of you Mike Anthony loyalists..

Pony up that ticket money and get get ready for these two assclowns to Spam your ass all night with Tequila and Hot Sauce plugs!

Not to mention that they will most likely get you there early(to sell more concessions)

Go on 30 minutes late(to sell more concessions)

Take a 30 minute break between each band(to sell more concessions)

Starting to see a trend here?.....Probably not,Which is what I would expect from anyone loyal to either one of these panhandlers...

...But with any luck you might get a free fake straw sombrero and a watered down Cabo Icee for your hard earned money....LMFAO!

RED IS DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
                              Great Post,MWM.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

Working...