Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hummarstra
    Commando
    • Feb 2004

Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
    But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?
  • letsrock
    Veteran
    • Mar 2007

He should be able to pull something.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

I have plenty of doubt...

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

Comment

• PSYCHOVHFAN
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Aug 2007

I think this tour will result in an album. In 2-3 months these guys will be so ready to capture the magic they have pulled out for these shows, and put it down on tape. I have no doubt Edward has many tricks left up his sleeve and this union is just the perfect thing to reinvigorate he and the others. Wolf is the glue, so if he is up for it, it will happen.

Comment

• Hummarstra
          Commando
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by PSYCHOVHFAN
          Wolf is the glue,
          Did you hear that Elvis?

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Yeah...I heard it...

I've said before that without Wolf this whole "reunion" thing would not be happening...

But as far as live, Van Halen needs a little more "glue"...

Comment

• binnie
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
              I have plenty of doubt...

But if he get's off his ass, stays clean and plays guitar, he still has more to wow us with...

I think that about sums it up. If Ed's prepared to put in the effort, I'm sure that he can still make decent music.
              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• naturochem
                Head Fluffer
                • May 2004

Re: Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Originally posted by Hummarstra
                I know many of you have differing opinions on the current vitalilty of Ed's playing. My opinion is that Ed's working off the rust and will get better.
                But, as I said to Elvis in another thread, I get the feeling that Ed no longer practices the guitar on a regular basis. I think this is key. If you remember that 1982 phone interview that was posted here a few months ago, Ed said it takes him 2 or 3 hours of practicing/playing to come up with anything good. I just hope we don't all wait for an original album and Ed's creativity is on the level of the VH3 nightmare. Do you have faith in him at this point?
                I for one, am fairly skeptical regarding the viability, or even probability of new tracks from this line up. Assuming the tour remains a continued success, I'm certain that they'll have no trouble getting on board with a new major label.... but will said tracks have long term vitality?? Hopefully they'll be able to duplicate what Mariah Carey & Universal (please pardon the fucked-up analogy..) were able to do after she was dumped by EMI.

In regards to Ed's practicing regularly, I don't think there have been many days EVER, when he hasn't jammed for several hours minimum*, daily... He's never been a social person, and is obviously introverted to a somewhat troublesome degree. Ed's said many times that he communicates much better with an instrument than he does with people... Drunk, sober, stoned or loaded... the guy play's the fuck out of the guitar...

*As fucked up as he was at Fender's NAMM show in January, he answered a friend of mine's (who happened to attended..) question about how often he played - Ed said there hasn't been a day in recent memory that he hasn't played for at least a few hours -- most more than that, and I certainly believe him. Even as drunk as he was a number of times, the fucker still clipped all the correct harmonics!! I know he fucked up sometimes as well, but just check out the NAMM video -- he's obviously fairly inebriated here......

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sIr-WBZT1MI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
                CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

http://www.hellsangelsmcoakland.com/...Support-V2.jpg

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• Hummarstra
                  Commando
                  • Feb 2004

I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.

Comment

• naturochem
                    Head Fluffer
                    • May 2004

And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record.
                    Could very well fuckin be (?)
                    Note that he said there hadn't been a day in *recent memory* that he hasn't played...
                    Given his condition at the time, & his recent chemically altered status, "recent memory" could certainly be a losely defined term....

Why do you find it so hard to believe that he practices much any more?
                    CVH LIVE (OAK/SF) '78, '79(X2), '80(X2) +MOR, '81(X3), '82, USFest '83, '84 & 2007!

"God rest the souls of that poor family... and pussy's half price for the next 15 minutes." Al Swearengen

Comment

• Hummarstra
                      Commando
                      • Feb 2004

His picking technique is still lagging. You know you never really lose the tapping chops.

But, this thread is really about whether he can deliver the song writing goods. And, on that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.

Comment

• vh rides again
                        Commando
                        • Dec 2006

theres hundreds of songs they did way back when that never made it to recording, david lee roth has said many times, theres tons of songs
                        that were put on the backburner.
                        ill bet they could do 5 albums, its eddie vanhalens life, you dont think he can come up with a new album? come on.

Comment

• vh rides again
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2006

hes tearing up arenas, and you still doubt him.
                          give it a rest already.

Comment

• naturochem
                            Head Fluffer
                            • May 2004

Remember, the last songs Ed wrote were the ones on VH3. And they were FUCKING HORRIBLE. And I'm not just talking about Cherone's parts. Ed's playing was just as bad.
                            Ya mean that last songs we "heard"... You're dead on about that one, bro... VH3 blew some serious dong!!

I truly hope some of the stuff from the closet -- that's not released yet -- will be worthy...

Comment

• groetman
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Apr 2007

Ed says in the VH book that he has enough songs written for the next 100 years.

Comment

Working...