Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schwing
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hummarstra
    I'd buy it, too. But, that'll never happen.

OK, we're all taking this too seriously. How 'bouts a nice set of tits.

I'd buy that too.

Comment

• lztom
      Head Fluffer
      • Mar 2004

If he really put his mind to it, he probably could but, much improved as he is since 2004, there still seems to be a certain sterility to his playing on this tour, like he's just doing facsimiles of his classic stuff.

Regarding new material, I think a really important factor for Eddie is having a strong producer to get him on track and pull songs together. Obviously the stuff with Templeman goes without saying but once Ted was gone, aside from the fact Spudnuts ruined the chemistry of the band, Eddie increasingly started just putting out garbage guitar tracks on those Van Hagar records and the hole brown sound was flushed down the toilet.

While Balance is nothing great, to me it's by far the most listenable Van Hagar record and has some decent songs (if you judge them by pop rock standards) and great guitar playing from Eddie; the record also has an overall coherence in terms of the presentation. I can't help thinking Bruce Fairbairn was a huge factor in this and kicking Eddie out of his comfort zone- look at how he got Eddie out of the 5150 bunker and upto Canada for some of the sessions.

Then look at the two new Roth tracks. Just incredible, with MWM probably being the rock track of the 90s. Again, big producer in there who can pull rank and get Eddie in line, Glenn Ballard.

Eddie goes self produced right after that and puts VH3 out. If you check out VH3, there's some great riffs on there etc (Fire In The Hole springs to mind) but there was no one there pulling the threads together and keeping Eddie in check and on course.

So, to come back to the point, if they could get this band in the studio in that context with a big name producer who can be on a footing with the band, then original and good (great?) music is very feasible. I just don't see Eddie being willing to put himself in that position. My guess is he'll want to produce a record of Wolfgang's noodling on bass and he'd be presenting it as the greatest thing since Mozart started writing operas as a kid.

Comment

• WACF
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

I know I am in the minority but I really do not care for MWM...

CGTSNM...now that one I dig.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

I have doubts. Not heard much good come from Ed in a while. He has the VH III shit out of his system, perhaps. Only time will tell. And if he ditches that fucking wah
          This space for rent.

Comment

• DirtyDeeds
            Roadie
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Hummarstra
            I just find it hard to believe that Ed practices much anymore. And Ed contradicted what your friend said in an interview during Sam years when he said he hadn't picked up the guitar in a long time until they started to write and record. I don't remember what year this was, but I read it myself. Maybe this tour will give him the inspiration he needs.
            That's not what I got out of that interview... This was when he was noodling arounf on a cello a lot... I don't think that it took TOO much away from guitar playing, he was just having fun with cello as well.

Here's the quote:

Guitar World: How much guitar have you played over the last six years? (This was written before the 2004 Van Hagar tour)

Eddie Van Halen: A lot, but I played more cello and piano. I only sleep about three or four hours a day, because there are so many things to deal with. I've learned to manage my time a little better.

Somebody recently turned me on to the classical cellist Yo-Yo Ma. I don't even know how to tune the instrument properly, but I can play whatever he does because I just let it be. I'm not practicing, I'm just playing. I've never practiced a day in my life. Even if I have to relearn one of my old songs for a tour, I don't call it "practicing."

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

It will all depend on Wolf....if he begs dad to release some thing it will happen...if they all are one big happy family after the tour, they really have nowhere else to go besides call it quits again. I wont pay to see another best of tour. This is a one time shot for all of us with the current material.

Comment

• jharp84
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Agree w/"the king"! TAKIN WHISKEY, VH RIDES AGAIN! AM I GONNA SEE BODE A YA"S AT SHOLESS JOES TUESDAY?? Let me know - por fa vor! Juice

Comment

• chi-town324
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Feb 2007

tuesday..oh yea!

Comment

• jharp84
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by chi-town324
                    tuesday..oh yea!
                    Bro Rob! One more time: OOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Comment

• cMb
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Feb 2007

Re: Do you have faith in Ed ability to "bring it" with new original music?

Do you have faith in Ed's ability to "bring it" with new original music?
                      Definitely not by himself.

Rick Rubin behind the boards, maybe?

Comment

• jharp84
                        Veteran
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                        I disagree with you here.. the bulk of the tracks, minus the vocals, on VHIII were pretty damn good and raw sounding. The solos were fantastic and everything had a darker sound to it. If DLR had been in the drivers seat for that album, it would have put it over the edge creatively and we would have had a real winner on our hands.

I'm sure others will, and should, disagree with you about Ed's playing in 98 - it was fucking great and he dusted off a bunch of songs from the CVH days to boot.

Back on topic - Yes, I think EVH & DLR have what it takes to 'bring it' one more time.
                        FULLY SUPPORT!! ED WILL BRING THA SHIT!! 22 YEARS WAITING! HE'LL BRING IT!!!

Comment

• jharp84
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Rick Rubin - COOL! I personally feel they can "get it done" w/out anyone of anyone! Meaning the music is there! You don't need to direct this gang!!

Comment

• jharp84
                            Veteran
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by WACF
                            I know I am in the minority but I really do not care for MWM...

CGTSNM...now that one I dig.
                            Diff of opins! Make the world go round! But not around, around!!

Comment

• DlocRoth
                              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Rick Rubin would be a mistake...

He aint right......

But for the topic......

I'm a firm believer that they WILL write new music........

I have no inside sources to back it up, it's just my gut feeling......

Dave won't get duped again.......

Will it be good? Yep.

Will it be MTV material? Nah....

They don't do rock anymore.

Anyhow, we'll see a new album.....and that will only open the doors for the unreleased shit.

Which is what we all want to see anyway.
                              Fuck Scott Weiland. Fucking asshole. I get trashed all the time and still go to work. And my job sucks ass. -ODShowtime

Comment

• jharp84
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                                Rick Rubin would be a mistake...

He aint right......

But for the topic......

I'm a firm believer that they WILL write new music........

I have no inside sources to back it up, it's just my gut feeling......

Dave won't get duped again.......

Will it be good? Yep.

Will it be MTV material? Nah....

They don't do rock anymore.

Anyhow, we'll see a new album.....and that will only open the doors for the unreleased shit.

Which is what we all want to see anyway.
                                My bad for not sendin' you 5 in the past! better late than never!

Comment

Working...