X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Have The Dems Finally Found Their Nuts?

Pelosi Says House to Vote on $50 Billion in War Funds (Update1)

By Laura Litvan

Nov. 8 (Bloomberg) -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the House will vote as early as tomorrow on a $50 billion measure funding the Iraq war for four months, while also setting a goal of bringing U.S. troops home within a year.

Pelosi said the measure would also have other strings attached, including a requirement that U.S. troops remaining in the country focus on improving security and not waging war.

``This is not a blank check for the president,'' Pelosi said.

President George W. Bush sent Congress a revised $196.4 billion spending request for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other priorities last month, saying the money is needed to keep U.S. forces supplied and to continue the gradual troop reductions he announced in September.

It was the biggest such request by the administration since the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq began.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Re: Have The Dems Finally Found Their Nuts?

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

saying the money is needed to keep U.S. forces supplied and to continue the gradual troop reductions he announced in September.

He never anounced any such "reduction"

The rotations were already in place for the "surge" [aka escalation]

Nice spin, Bloomberg

Comment

• Guitar Shark
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Are you suggesting that Pelosi has nuts?
      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
        Are you suggesting that Pelosi has nuts?
        Compared to Schumer, et al?

Elephant ones.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

What have you got against Schumer? I kinda like him.

As a legislator, that is, not his nuts...
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

His caving on requiring Mukasey to go on the record that WB is illegal torture was his latest gaff.

He was the one who recommended Mukasey.

A simple "look, I brought you here, the least you can do is not make me look like a schmuck, and take a stand on this basic issue instead of ducking the issue."

Bush is on his 3rd AG

Wouldn't it be nice if we had one who stood up for THE LAW.

And threatening a recess appointment shouldnt make these Dems fold so easily.
            Last edited by LoungeMachine; 11-08-2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

House to debate Iraq troop withdrawals

Thu Nov 8, 2007 11:50am

Congress negotiators omit war from Pentagon funds

Bush asks skeptical Congress for more war funds

Democrats positioned to widen majority in Senate

Iraq, Afghanistan wars to cost U.S. $190 bln in 2008

Washington(Reuters) - Democrats controlling the House of Representatives will try again to bring American combat in Iraq to an end when it debates legislation this week tying new war funds to troop withdrawals, Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday.

The legislation, similar to a bill President George W. Bush vetoed earlier this year, "gives voice to the concerns of the American people" over a war that is now in its fifth year and "with no light at the end of the tunnel," Pelosi, a California Democrat, said.

As early as Friday, the House will debate the plan that would give Bush only $50 billion of the $196 billion in new funds he has asked for to continue fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of the money would go to Iraq.

The House repeatedly this year has passed legislation aimed at ending the Iraq war, only to see it die in the Senate or killed by Bush.

Congress is expected to consider the rest of the funding sometime next year.

Pelosi said the money would fund the war for another four months. But as they have done in the past, House Democrats will try to attach conditions requiring the Pentagon to immediately begin withdrawing some of the 169,000 troops in Iraq and with the goal of completing the withdrawal by December, 2008.

Pelosi sidestepped a reporter's question on whether congressional support for the idea has grown enough to overturn an inevitable veto by Bush.

Under the plan, an unspecified number of U.S. troops would stay in Iraq to protect American diplomats and facilities, train Iraqis and perform counter-terrorism operations. It is thought that force would total in the tens of thousands.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

They need to make that "tens of thousands" force up out of private contractors.

Bring the troops home.

Let the Iraqi government pay mercenaries directly.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

The U.S. Senate has voted to override President George W. Bush's veto of a water bill containing $2 billion in Everglades restoration funds.

The move comes two days after the U.S. House of Representatives approved the override, making the Water Resources Development Act law.

The legislation, which stalled in Congress in 2002, provides nearly $137.9 million to port projects, including $125 million to the Port of Miami; $7.5 million for a Lake Region Water Treatment Plant in Palm Beach County and $6.25 million for water reuse supply and a pipeline in Miami-Dade County. It also earmarks nearly $2 billion for the ongoing restoration of the Everglades.

"It is the largest restoration program ever undertaken in the world," Everglades Restoration Program Manager Sara Fain said in a news release. "Although WRDA is intended for passage every two years, Congress had not taken any action since 2000. This stalled legislation has limited progress for restoration projects that have not been able to receive authorization, and threatened the overall success of Everglades' restoration."

Bush cited the bill's cost -- $23 billion, including $9 million in projects added in negotiation in the House and Senate -- as the reason for his veto.

"I agree with the President that this bill lacks fiscal discipline. It seeks to spend too much on programs that have little need or reason for federal support," said U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez in a news release. "But we also have to recognize that the longer we wait for the federal government to meet its Everglades commitment, the more expensive the cost. In the past five years, the cost of the Indian River Lagoon project alone has increased by more than $100 million."

Outside of Florida, the legislation funds $3.6 billion in wetlands and coastal restoration, flood control and dredging in Louisiana, nearly $2 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers to build new locks on the upper Mississippi and Illinois rivers and $7 billion for hurricane mitigation in Mississippi and Louisiana, including securing 100-year levee protection in New Orleans.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Is this the first successful override of a Junior veto? I think it is...
                    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Bush cited the bill's cost -- $23 billion, including $9 million in projects added in negotiation in the House and Senate -- as the reason for his veto.
                      And so how many TRILLIONS of dollars has themonkey spent MURDERING OUR OWN TROOPS??!?!?!?!?!?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                        Is this the first successful override of a Junior veto? I think it is...
                        Play along with us, won't you?

L A M _ D _ _ _

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Aug 2007

Play along with us, won't you?

L A M _ D _ _ _

LAMBDICK?????? LAMPDOOR??????? LAMODRIP!!!!! I give up FUCK!

Comment

• Jim Shetterlini
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Aug 2007

The U.S. Senate has voted to override President George W. Bush's veto of a water bill containing $2 billion in Everglades restoration funds.

The move comes two days after the U.S. House of Representatives approved the override, making the Water Resources Development Act law.

The legislation, which stalled in Congress in 2002, provides nearly $137.9 million to port projects, including $125 million to the Port of Miami; $7.5 million for a Lake Region Water Treatment Plant in Palm Beach County and $6.25 million for water reuse supply and a pipeline in Miami-Dade County. It also earmarks nearly $2 billion for the ongoing restoration of the Everglades.

"It is the largest restoration program ever undertaken in the world," Everglades Restoration Program Manager Sara Fain said in a news release. "Although WRDA is intended for passage every two years, Congress had not taken any action since 2000. This stalled legislation has limited progress for restoration projects that have not been able to receive authorization, and threatened the overall success of Everglades' restoration."

"I agree with the President that this bill lacks fiscal discipline. It seeks to spend too much on programs that have little need or reason for federal support," said U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez in a news release. "But we also have to recognize that the longer we wait for the federal government to meet its Everglades commitment, the more expensive the cost. In the past five years, the cost of the Indian River Lagoon project alone has increased by more than $100 million."

Outside of Florida, the legislation funds $3.6 billion in wetlands and coastal restoration, flood control and dredging in Louisiana, nearly $2 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers to build new locks on the upper Mississippi and Illinois rivers and $7 billion for hurricane mitigation in Mississippi and Louisiana, including securing 100-year levee protection in New Orleans.
                            This was an authorization act that was vetoed...It still has to be voted upon for appropriaition. Simple gesture of growing some nuts not really finding them yet.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Baby steps....

At this point I'd be thrilled if they could SPELL "nuts"

And I'd spot them the nu

Comment

Working...