X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

The Myth of Nazareth

The Myth of Nazareth meticulously reviews the archaeology of the Nazareth basin from the Stone Age to the present, and shows that the settlement of Nazareth came into existence in the early second century C.E., well after the time of Christ. In this study René Salm reviews all the structural and movable evidence from the first excavations in the late 19th century to the most recent reports. This review also encompasses the extensive secondary literature, found in books and reference articles in dictionaries and encyclopedias. Salm shows that traditional conclusions found in all these works regarding the settlement of Nazareth are radically inconsistent with the itemized evidence in the ground.

These six oil lamps were discovered in a Nazareth tomb, and have been used in the scholarly literature as proof of a village at Nazareth in Hellenistic times, as early as the third century BCE. In fact, the six lamps date from the Middle Roman to the Late Roman periods, long after the time of Christ. Gross misdatings of the primary evidence, sometimes involving discrepancies of up to 500 years, are frequently encountered in the Nazareth literature.

The compromised archaeology of Nazareth
    The Myth of Nazareth shows that the village came into existence not earlier than 70 C.E. (the climax of the First Jewish War), and most likely in early II C.E.—the same era in which the canonical gospels were being edited. Furthermore, this study shows that there was a long hiatus in settlement in the Nazareth basin between the Late Iron Age (c. 700 B.C.E.) and Middle Roman times (c. 100 C.E.). Finally, it is probable that the extensive remains in the Nazareth basin from the Bronze and Iron Ages are in fact to be identified with biblical Japhia. These conclusions are based on a unanimity of the material evidence from multiple excavations in the Nazareth basin. Whether we are speaking of “Herodian” oil lamps (which constitute the earliest Roman evidence), glass, metal, or stone objects, inscriptions, coins, “kokh” tombs with or without rolling stones, wall foundations, or agricultural installations—all of these point to a Jewish settlement beginning in early II C.E. and thriving in Late Roman and Byzantine times. Extra-archaeological data confirm this conclusion.

In an explosive revelation, The Myth of Nazareth shows that a number of Roman tombs (not mentioned in any guidebook) exist directly under the Church of the Annunciation, the most venerated site in Nazareth. This locus was part of a cemetery during Roman times. It could not have been the domicile of the Virgin Mary—a proposition abhorrent in a Jewish context for, according to Torah, tombs were never located within the precincts of a Jewish village, nor near or under habitations. Both the traditional chronology and location are in error, for the cemetery at Nazareth came into existence several generations after the alleged time of the Virgin.

The background
    Most scholars summarily dismiss the “invention” of Nazareth on the grounds that the town is frequently mentioned in the Christian gospels. Unwittingly, archaeology is thus held hostage to literary considerations. The textual case for Nazareth in the gospels is much weaker, however, than is generally supposed. The settlement is named only once in the Gospel of Mark, at 1:9 (other instances in the Greek text read “Jesus the Nazarene”). The passage as it stands demonstrably conflicts with the remainder of the gospel, which locates Jesus’ home in Capernaum. Thus, it can be shown that the Gospel of Mark contains the later interpolation of a single word, “Nazaret” at 1:9.

Furthermore, the literary genesis of Nazareth occurs in one of the most problematic passages of Christian scripture, Mt 2:23: And he went and dwelt in a city called Nazaret, that what was spoken by the prophets might be fulfilled, “He shall be called a Nazoraean.” No such prophetic utterance has been identified in the Jewish scriptures. For its part, the Gospel of Luke is equally problematic. The enigmatic scene in the Nazareth synagogue (Lk 4:16-30) has been shown to be an elaborate reworking of prior materials. Furthermore, the third evangelist demonstrates a strident anti-Capernaum stance, one which impels him to divorce Jesus as much as possible from Capernaum roots.

A flawed record
    The archaeological record of Nazareth has been written principally by Franciscan excavators on site. Subsequent reviews of critical finds in journals and monographs, by Israeli archaeologists and others, often contradict the conclusions of the Church and form an important part of The Myth of Nazareth.

The Myth of Nazareth reveals an embarrassing history of unscientific fieldwork, tendentious publication, and suppressed evidence reaching back many generations. It is a searing indictment of one school of biblical archaeology.

Where did Jesus come from?
    The Myth of Nazareth: The Invented Town of Jesus invalidates a central element of Christian tradition. The weighty consequences of its argument inevitably entail a reexamination of the meaning of “Nazarene/Nazoraean,” a reconsideration of the provenance of Jesus, a questioning of the motives of the evangelists in changing that provenance, and a clarification of the textual means by which they did so. The formidable repercussions of this general reassessment on the traditional interpretation of the gospel record can hardly be overstated.

The Myth of Nazareth: The Invented Town of Jesus is the first volume of A New Account of Christian Origins. A subsequent volume will explore the rationale and methodology behind the invention of “Nazareth” by the evangelists. These volumes support a paradigm shift in Christian studies, one with telling consequences for the interpretation of early Christianity, the assessment of the gospel witness, and the traditional portrait of Jesus.
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

So you are left with the Nativity stuff is BS

the crucifixian didn't happen and now even Nazareth didn't exist.

Scientology is looking more believable...

Comment

• kwame k
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Feb 2008

so is easter bunny:>
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• thome
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Mar 2005

Don't Worry Folks thome to the rescue.

No need to post ,"Yey or Ney "on this one. I will solve all issues and minimalize the -Reading-. Reading is not fundemental it's a pain.

Ok here we go......

Son of a bitch you candy ass! anyone can disprove anything in refference to Religion or Faith.

So simple... just assininely fukkin pussy, BS.

Why don't you do this ....if you want to seem like you have the answer
        if you want to really make people think your something special with you -Miraculous- discovery that all is a lie.

Prove that it is all the truth, prove god exists ,proove jesus is the answer.

Holy crap the world is full of pussy mother fukkers.

PROVE WHAT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PROVE!!!!!

Then... maybe..... I will think you are more than just another Kont!

PUNKS!

Thanks, I will be signing autographs in the mezzanine.

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Not surprising, really...the Bible is full of historical timeframe inconsistancies. Of course, it doesn't really change anything per se...many scientific historical occurances have been dated incorrectly and proven after the fact, but it doesn't change the fact that these things historically still happened. And there are many other events, locations and persons written about in the bible that have been verified.

It's a give and take thing, basically if you look at the bible as historical semi-fiction, you're about halfway there. The rest of it is just up to personal decision and whatever people are comfortable with.
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by thome
            ...Prove that it is all the truth, prove god exists, prove jesus is the answer.
            That's the atheists latest philosophical safehouse argument - that it's the duty of the religious to prove that their perspective is correct. I submit that it ISN'T anybody's moral obligation to prove something they have to take on faith alone, unless the believer is asserting that he/she is confident beyond any doubt and everybody else is wrong.

This is why I take a more middle of the road approach and don't begrudge anybody believing anything, from Islam to Christianity to Judism to the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Personally, until mankind has explored every quadrant of the universe, perfected time travel and answered every single unknown, there's room for ANYTHING to exist, and more possibility for it then most people would care to believe. Just because the laws of science and relativity exist in a particular facet in this small neck of the universe, there's nothing to say that there's not a wildly different constant a couple universes/dimensions over.

The first thing to understand, in regards to science, religion and the universe, is that mankind is infantile in his age and adolescent in his knowledge. We are, without any doubt, in a constant stage of growth and evolution, which is really what gives the religious argument so much time honored fun...

Anybody, atheist, religious or otherwise, who asserts that we've discovered it all and know for a fact that no version of any Godhead exists (in whatever form, energy, actualized, hell even alien) are truly the most blind.

Open minds are never a bad thing. You can at least evolve from that. A closed mind leads you nowhere.
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Nazareth. Don't mess with a son of a bitch!!!
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I think Christianity is slowly running out of steam. That being said there will always be the crowd who hold onto it no matter what kind of evidence comes forth.

Religion tends to crumble over generations and the new and upcoming generations are not buying into the same religion their parents and grandparents did.
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
                  That's the atheists latest philosophical safehouse argument - that it's the duty of the religious to prove that their perspective is correct. I submit that it ISN'T anybody's moral obligation to prove something they have to take on faith alone, unless the believer is asserting that he/she is confident beyond any doubt and everybody else is wrong.

This is why I take a more middle of the road approach and don't begrudge anybody believing anything, from Islam to Christianity to Judism to the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Personally, until mankind has explored every quadrant of the universe, perfected time travel and answered every single unknown, there's room for ANYTHING to exist, and more possibility for it then most people would care to believe. Just because the laws of science and relativity exist in a particular facet in this small neck of the universe, there's nothing to say that there's not a wildly different constant a couple universes/dimensions over.

The first thing to understand, in regards to science, religion and the universe, is that mankind is infantile in his age and adolescent in his knowledge. We are, without any doubt, in a constant stage of growth and evolution, which is really what gives the religious argument so much time honored fun...

Anybody, atheist, religious or otherwise, who asserts that we've discovered it all and know for a fact that no version of any Godhead exists (in whatever form, energy, actualized, hell even alien) are truly the most blind.

Open minds are never a bad thing. You can at least evolve from that. A closed mind leads you nowhere.
                  Brother Bob speaks the Truth!

For my money, the only thing more annoying than a fundamentalist, unthinking Christian is a fundamentalist, unthinking atheist.
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I think Christianity is slowly running out of steam. That being said there will always be the crowd who hold onto it no matter what kind of evidence comes forth.

Religion tends to crumble over generations and the new and upcoming generations are not buying into the same religion their parents and grandparents did.
                    I think it's more likely that people are moving away from large churches and organized religion...with people like Jim and Tammy Baker, Pat Robertson, and Jimmy Swaggart having lead by example for as many years and they did, it's certainly understandable.

I wouldn't think it's so much in decline as in a state of evolution. Many people today are willing to concede that Jesus was most likely married and had children, there's simply too much evidence to suggest the contrary anymore. I think it's because of that that the face of Christianity is changing, and will continue to change. Hell, it's not the same religion now that it was 200 years ago, let alone 1800.

Hopefully this means that open mindedness and tolerance for others is beginning to seep in, too.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by bueno bob

No right sane person would ever assert that we've discovered everything and know that a Godhead does not exist,

What they may say is just because we don't know for example what black matter is does not mean that people can just make shit up and that somehow has validity.

Fantastical claims require fantastic evidence. Or even a bit.

I don't object to people believing in the spaghetti monster if it doesn't affect anyone else either but you live in a country where not believing in the equivalent means that you cannot hold high political office.

Closed mind is the opposite of an athiest position. In fact athiest is an unfortunate word it's better described as an unbeliever or not indoctrinated. The vast majority of athiests are not absolutely 100000% sure there isn't a spaghetti monster or an infallible paedophile prophet who had a flying horse or a Jesus myth guy, we just say if you are going to base anything on these myths lets see some tiny bit of evidence.

Apply scientific theory to this peer reviewed repeatable evidence.

Science allows you to post on this website.

Religion/superstition allows you to do what?

Kill people?

Cheers!

Last edited by Seshmeister; 03-13-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

For example I'll be honest here I don't understand video projectors.

You know those things with the three bulbs that project video in bars or whatever onto a blank screen. I can understand how a CRT TV works with the pixels on the TV being set to different intesities making up the colors and so the picture.

BUT I don't understand how the three lightbulbs can project acrosss a room and make up a picture.

Because I don't understand that I don't think 'Oh it's a God doing it. Let's call him Kodak the light god.' If I could be bothered I could sit down and read about how this works.

In 300AD or so when they were inventing the Christian religion as a means of controlling the population they didn't know shit about anything. You could transplant any of us there with a laptop and we could be gods.

Scientology is laughable to anyone who isn't mentally ill but basically christianity is just as silly but has been around for so long because it wiped out it's compeditors back in the day it has insane amounts of false validity.

Cheers!

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

The unfortunate side to that is that I can't offer any scientific validity at all for my own set of beliefs (which I'll refrain from discussing too deeply, if at all possible). The reason being is that some of the things I have experienced which have led me to my own personal conclusions defy any ability of commonly accepted scientific law to explain.

Of course, that means nothing to you or anybody else...which is completely logical and expected...but it does leave me in the position where I have to answer two simple questions:

1. Can I scientifically explain this, can I prove it?
                          2. Am I insane, mentally unbalanced or hallucinating what I'm experiencing here?

The answer to these two questions being a "No", I was forced to the conclusion (the only remaining conclusion there was) that what I am seeing and experiencing existed outside of the boundaries of the common accepted scientific realm. This isn't going to convince anybody of anything, but on a personal level it was monumental.

Thus, it's a matter of faith. I can't prove anything I believe with actual evidence, but that alone does nothing to say "It didn't happen then"; as an intelligent, rational adult of somewhat higher than norm intelligence, I researched my own experience enough to determine that physical science and practical universal law as a constant could not do anything to explain it, and in fact it was unexplainable.

And yet, it was a relatively minor event in so far as metaphysics are concerned.

BUT - defeating that, I had all the personal experience and personal evidence I needed to know that (at the very least) there was a higher order level of consciousness and a set of governing laws regarding metaphysics in the universe. By experiencing that and seeing it actualized, the possibility that a supreme intelligence very well could be controlling everything in the unseen world (and invisible in ours) was not entirely an unfathomable grasp. And as a former non-believer in anything that wasn't scientifically provable, I came to realize just how limited scientific explanations were - in fact, how trapping in their limited scope.

BUT - I can't prove any of it. Even if a video tape had been running, there would have been ample room for argument (controlled conditions, footage editing, etc...you can find room to argue against almost any evidence's authenticity if you look deep enough and try hard enough).

So...we arrive back at square one: how does a believer of any measure offer up any evidence for the existance of the supernatural? Realistically, he cannot. And even if he COULD, there'd be plenty of room for people to argue against it. And they would. Even if God Himself descended from the Heavens and said "Yo, bitches, here am I", a large portion of the world would say "Ahh, it's all special effects".

Proving evidence for a faith based article is impossible. Always will be.

So...OK, yeah, I'm done now.
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

My question has always been thus:

IF Jesus died at 33, and went to heaven, and sat with his dad, and rules paradise for all eternity......

What exactly did he give up? Life expetancy back then was what? 40?

He gave up 6-7 years of pretty bleak existence to rule heaven for all eternity?

Where's the "sacrifice''??

When I'm told "Jesus died for your sins" WTF does this even mean?

Does this mean I get to sin now guilt free?

The whole thing just sounds like such a scam, to dupe the stupid.

Originally posted by Kristy
                            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                            Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

You're supposed to edit that post!

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...