• Show
Clear All
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Military Deserters Once Again Flock to Canada

Dallas News - Military Deserters Once Again Flock to Canada - page 1

Military Deserters Once Again Flock to Canada
    Looks like this time they picked the wrong country.

By Megan Feldman

Published on March 11, 2009 at 10:41am

Just 5 feet tall, with a baby strapped to her chest and a soft, faltering voice, Kim Rivera is anything but soldierly. Yet two years ago she was a Texas private in the War on Terror, guarding a gate with an M4 rifle and frisking Iraqi civilians at a base in eastern Baghdad.
    • Ian Willms

Kim Rivera, the first female Iraq War deserter to seek refuge in Canada, waits for a streetcar in Toronto.
    • Ian Willms

Army deserter Kim Rivera grocery shops for her family in Toronto, where they fled after she went AWOL in 2007.
    Details:

See more photos of Rivera, Johnson and the War Resisters Support Campaign in our slideshow here.

Subject(s):

Iraq war, military, deserters, Canada, refugees
    Now, on a Wednesday evening in January, the 26-year-old mother of three stands in a room in frigid, snow-covered Toronto. Her fair-skinned face and round blue eyes are framed by auburn hair pulled back in a low ponytail, and she places a hand on her bundled baby as she faces some 100 people seated in folding chairs in the middle-class apartment building's community room.
    Rivera clears her throat and unfolds a sheet of paper.
    "I was fighting your kind for killing my kind," she begins, reading a poem she wrote last summer and dedicated to the people of Iraq. "I was fighting for your liberty; I was fighting for peace." She pauses and takes a deep breath. "But in reality, I was fighting to destroy everything you know and love."
    The audience listens in silence. Some nod. A few wipe tears from their eyes. They are peace activists and professors, fellow American Iraq War deserters in their 20s and American hippies in their 60s, Vietnam draft-dodgers and Canadian mothers.
    They're all rooting for Rivera, red state warrior turned peacenik deserter. They're hoping and praying that by some lucky chance or the benevolent hand of a politician or judge, the young mother will escape the deportation order that has been issued here and the court martial that awaits back home.
    Three years ago, before Iraq and Canada, Rivera's dreams of going to college and developing a career had faded. She'd spent five years working at Walmart in her hometown of Mesquite, met her husband in the store's food court and had her first two children. After several years of living with relatives and struggling to save for their own apartment, Rivera saw the Army as the only way out. Through the military, she could make more than $10.50 an hour, plus get health insurance and higher education. And since she and her husband were both overweight and she was certain that she could shed the necessary pounds faster than he could, she began talking to recruiters.
    She enlisted in early 2006. When she signed the contract, she thought of the war in Iraq as a remote and necessary evil. She was raised to praise the Lord and praise her country, and if that meant ridding the world of terrorists while allowing her and her family to get ahead, so be it. Yet after three desolate months in Iraq, consumed by homesickness, missing her children and disgusted by what she saw of the war, she deserted while on leave in 2007 and fled with her family to Canada.
    Just like her decision to enlist, that gamble hasn't paid off the way she'd hoped. The Canadian government ordered her to leave the country by January 27 or be deported to the United States, where there's a warrant for her arrest. Desertion, according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, carries penalties of up to five years in prison, a dishonorable discharge and, in wartime, a potential death sentence.
    As the first known female soldier to walk away from the war in Iraq and fight for residency in Canada, Rivera has become a poster girl for a new generation of war deserters and, in particular, the small colony of American deserters who are living in Toronto and hoping they'll get to stay there.
    More than 15,000 soldiers have deserted the Army since 2003, and most are thought to be living in the United States, keeping a low profile and trying to avoid a traffic ticket or anything else that would alert authorities to their presence. Army spokesmen stress that just 1 percent of all soldiers desert and that the problem is not large enough to warrant pursuing them for prosecution. Nevertheless, desertion rates have nearly doubled, rising from 2,610 in 2003 to 4,698 in 2007, and military records show a crackdown on deserters since the war in Iraq began. In both 2001 and 2007, for instance, roughly 4,500 soldiers deserted each year. But while in 2001 only 29 deserters were prosecuted, in 2007 that figure was 108.
    The War Resisters Support Campaign estimates that several hundred deserters are living in Canada. Of those, just around 40 have come forward to file asylum claims. The others, living under the radar without legal status and likely waiting to see how their peers' cases pan out, have little to stoke their hopes. While an estimated 25,000 draft-dodgers and deserters migrated from the United States to Canada during the Vietnam War, the notion that Canada will absorb today's deserters as it did their predecessors is dead wrong. The Canadian government—led by conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper—has so far rejected all of the deserters' requests, and the soldiers referred to as "war resisters" by their supporters are awaiting review from the country's federal courts to determine their fate. As the cases make their way through the Canadian court system, Rivera is among the first wave to face impending deportation and a host of others are expected to follow in the coming months.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next Page »
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Sad to hear...

I'm personally on her side and all the others who have fled to Canada...

There's a lawyer in canada who are representing over 100 soldiers who deserted to canada...

The lawyer himself fled to Canada because he thought going to Vietnam was immoral...

I forget his name at the moment...

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Sad to hear...

I'm personally on her side and all the others who have fled to Canada...

There's a lawyer in canada who are representing over 100 soldiers who deserted to canada...

The lawyer himself fled to Canada because he thought going to Vietnam was immoral...

I forget his name at the moment...

Jeffry House
      or Lee Zaslofsky?

No relation to Dr. Greg House - at least that I know of.
      Last edited by FORD; 03-17-2009, 04:26 PM.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

It's another Vietnam. Sad.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD

Jeffry House
          or Lee Zaslofsky?
          Yeah, it's Toronto Attorney, Jeffrey House...

Thanks!

Comment

• Angel
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Fuck that noise. This is nothing like Vietnam. These aren't people avoiding a draft. They signed up for the military knowing full well there was a possibility of going to war.

I don't feel sorry for them, nor do I think we should harbour them.
            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• sierra
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Angel
              Fuck that noise. This is nothing like Vietnam. These aren't people avoiding a draft. They signed up for the military knowing full well there was a possibility of going to war.

Fucking A Right!

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is completely off topic, but have you considered the irony of having your location listed as "The Flatlands", right below your current avatar?
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

A very key distinction...

They "volunteered," and were not drafted into the infantry...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Vietnam had a draft and more carnage but it's like Vietnam because nobody is behind the war. They know it has nothing to do with keeping the US safe. Our borders are wide open and armed thugs come across all the time. People don't trust the govt. anymore.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Most that deserted initially bought into the weapons of mass destruction bullshit, as did I, and wanted to do the right thing...

When they realised it was a lie and they were betrayed, who wouldn't want to get the hell out of there ???

Comment

• alicebowie
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2009

I would have liked to see Sarge's opinion on the story he posted.
                        There will always be individuals who volunteer for duty and then
                        want out.Whether there is any action going on or it is peace time.
                        Some of these deserters are just using the unjustness of this war
                        as an excuse to avoid fulfilling that they made. They weren't forced
                        to join they volunteered.It's not the same as getting drafted against
                        their will.And as far as the ones that were in before the war and had
                        to stay , they should have thought about the possibility they might
                        see action. The only thing this war has in common with Viet Nam
                        is the unpopularity. There were deserters and anti- war protesters
                        during WWII. Some felt it wasn't our business.Even after Pearl Harbor
                        was invaded.

Comment

• Sarge
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Vietnam
                          ------------
                          There is something somewhat noble about not doing what you feel is morally wrong. I don't see anything wrong with these people not reporting for duty and deciding to go to Canada. That is, if you were drafted.
                          It's our civic duty to defend out country, but it's also our civic duty of our citizens to hold our government accountable when we making poor decisions and going down the wrong path.

Iraq deserters
                          --------------
                          How many of these people joined the military when we were at war?
                          It's been 6 years now!
                          Did they think that war wouldn't be a possibility, when we were currently engaged in 2 of them?
                          If you volunteered for active duty, which ALL of them did, then it's your obligation to report for war. It's part of the job. It's part of the military's job to prosecute those who don't. You can't have an effective military when soldiers are allowed to do whatever they want.
                          That doesn't mean that you have to agree with every decision that the military makes. It doesn't have to change your belief structure. It's about honoring a commitment of service.

Breasts,
                          Sarge
                          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

You're right...

My dad did 30 years in the service and served with dignity and respect and was in Vietnam...

But the part about the bullshit weapons of mass destruction still eats at me. My dad is very passive about it...

I'd rather Bush had just told the truth, that we're taking Sadam out and going to try to instate some democracy in the middle east to be fair with, or even control oil distribution, but I guess that's a wild dream...

I dunno...

Last edited by ELVIS; 03-17-2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: Fuck Off!

Comment

• alicebowie
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Sarge
                              Vietnam
                              ------------
                              There is something somewhat noble about not doing what you feel is morally wrong. I don't see anything wrong with these people not reporting for duty and deciding to go to Canada. That is, if you were drafted.
                              It's our civic duty to defend out country, but it's also our civic duty of our citizens to hold our government accountable when we making poor decisions and going down the wrong path.

Iraq deserters
                              --------------
                              How many of these people joined the military when we were at war?
                              It's been 6 years now!
                              Did they think that war wouldn't be a possibility, when we were currently engaged in 2 of them?
                              If you volunteered for active duty, which ALL of them did, then it's your obligation to report for war. It's part of the job. It's part of the military's job to prosecute those who don't. You can't have an effective military when soldiers are allowed to do whatever they want.
                              That doesn't mean that you have to agree with every decision that the military makes. It doesn't have to change your belief structure. It's about honoring a commitment of service.

Breasts,
                              Sarge
                              Exactly my point. You volunteer , you fulfill your commitment or pay
                              the price. If a soldier said fuck this, it's wrong but took a stand and
                              didn't run I could understand.Even if they said they were scared but
                              didn't run.

Comment

Working...