X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marcus
    Roadie
    • Oct 2004

Why Mikey will be missed on any new VH release

All this talk about a potential new release by VH is exciting. No doubt EVH and Roth still have chemistry as evident on the last tour. I'm not worried about that. And Roth always (or usually) writes pretty cool lyrics.

But here's something to think about. One reason why VHIII and the totally shit songs Up For Breakfast and It's About Time (and I mean shit) sucked so bad was that Mikey didn't play on those recordings. I think he only recorded bass on 3 or 4 songs on VHIII. Ed played bass on the rest.

There's a good chance Ed will play bass on any new recordings if not Wolf. Either way, a real bassist doesn't play everything the guitarist plays, or plays the bass like a guitarist. Mike was a more simple bassist for sure, but he brought a driving, pumping, and deep bass style to their music. It's that anchored (if simple) counterpart to a busy guitar part that gives the music that certain something that's hard to describe. Imagine Running With The Devil without that simple bass part.

Bottom line is I don't want to hear Ed playing bass or Wolf for that matter. What they should do is hire and use Dave's bassist from his last solo group, if they don't want Mike. I forget the guys name but I saw Dave live in 2004 and the bassist he had did a great job.
  • Dave's PA Rental
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What Michael Anthony added to Classic Van Halen was hardly his bass lines. His most noticeable contribution was his voice. Even on MWM and CGTSNM, Anthony's high harmonies are unmistakeable. People in the other thread are bashing those two songs, but to me, they are as much a part of the Classic Van Halen sound as anything from the 6-pack. To me, this is the part of any future recordings that might not cut the mustard.
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Big Troubles
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Feb 2004

up for bf and about time wouldnt sound any better if mike DID play bass on them... sorry but for me Mike became irrelevant after FW.
      "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
        up for bf and about time wouldnt sound any better if mike DID play bass on them... sorry but for me Mike became irrelevant after FW.
        What up, BT?

what is "up for bf" and "about time"?
        Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Big Troubles
          for me Mike became irrelevant after FW.

Ed, is that you?
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Marcus
            Roadie
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
            What Michael Anthony added to Classic Van Halen was hardly his bass lines. His most noticeable contribution was his voice. Even on MWM and CGTSNM, Anthony's high harmonies are unmistakeable. People in the other thread are bashing those two songs, but to me, they are as much a part of the Classic Van Halen sound as anything from the 6-pack. To me, this is the part of any future recordings that might not cut the mustard.
            This is very true. MWM and CGTSNM both have his backing vocals which was such a huge part of their sound. But those 2 songs also have a thick full sound to them, and the bass playing has a part to play in that. That driving, pulsing bass line in the chorus of MWM is integral to the song in my opinion.

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

If they want to achieve those old school backing vocals, they can just pipe them in via a "stunt double" in the studio.
              This space for rent.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                If they want to achieve those old school backing vocals, they can just pipe them in via a "stunt double" in the studio.
                You know what? With the technology showcased during the 2007 tour in terms of background vocals...I think you might have something here...

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Can you set the Autotuner to "Michael Anthony"?

Comment

• Dan
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Yes You Can.
                    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• Igosplut
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Can you set the Autotuner to "Michael Anthony"?
                      Yow, Blast from the past....

You still workin at Fenway??
                      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Igosplut
                        Yow, Blast from the past....

You still workin at Fenway??
                        Yup.

I just started a thread in the Batcave (if you don't know, don't ask) thanking everyone for letting me stay on as mod even though I havnt been here in years...I really think that there will be lots to talk about in the next year, and I plan on being back, as long as there is something NEW to talk about...

Comment

• Igosplut
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Cool man, I went up two years ago in the Anheuser Busch box, what a great time.....
                          Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Big Troubles
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Feb 2004

What up, BT?

what is "up for bf" and "about time"?
                            oh and learning to see... those 3 "new songs" with hagar on the BOBW part deux... those songs, whether Mike played bass on them or not, wouldnt have saved them...
                            "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              Ed, is that you?
                              u better be wearin' a cup man!

Comment

Working...