Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78/84 guy
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Apr 2005

Really the only good thing about Mike not recording with them is whatever they do good or bad it can't be compared to the original 6 album's, because it is a different band. Mike said he didn't want Dave in the band again back in 96 so screw him. He WAS a great part of the original VH 30 years ago. So what. I have that stuff anytime I want too listen too it. Give me something new. The Stone's are still the Stone's without Bill right ?? Or Brian Jones for that matter !! At least they will tell you that.
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 09-16-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MAX
      mulletted and Hagarized 'tis no waay to go through life.
      Can't argue with that!!
      “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• diamondsgirl
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by 78/84 guy
        Mike said he didn't want Dave in the band again back in 96 so screw him.
        No shit. And he wonders why Dave didnt go to bat for him this last time around. Fuck him.

BTW, I saw the Chickenfoot CD on the clearance rack at Bestbuy. I think it was like $3.99. There was a bunch of them, too.
        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Michael Anthony is a huge part of the Van Halen sound...

And regardless of what bad things you can say about him, I think he's one of the best bass players there is, especially live...

The idea of Van Halen still kinda sucks without him...

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
            For every person that minimizes Mike's contributions to the mighty Van Halen... I have to wonder if they ever even saw a classic Van Halen show in real life?

Oh nevermind... that's right... 70% of the membership wasn't old enough and they're all pissed having cut their teeth on the Hagar era, knowing they missed the real deal.
            There really is an odd sort of revisionist history at work amongst some so-called CVH fans. Apparently, because Mike Anthony chose to remain active over the years by hitching his wagon to the dubious efforts of Sam Hagar, his involvement with Van Halen can therefor be derided, diminished or in some strange cases completely dismissed. The behavior is puzzling to say the least, and just doesn't add up.

Look, I get the fact that people wish to see and hear David Lee Roth in Van Halen, yet at the same time do not follow the desperation to do so resulting in acceptance of the absence of a former band member. To compound things by saying the bassist never mattered and wasn't so hot in the first place sounds more like a boatload of rationalization, and nebulous thinking to boot. As I said, I get the whole "Dave at any cost" argument, believe me, and if that works for you folks, terrific. But please, do me the simple courtesy of not attempting to convince me this situation is not only acceptable, but is an improvement of some sort. The argument's reasoning is faulty, as is the so-called logic behind it.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Diamondjimi
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • May 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Michael Anthony is a huge part of the Van Halen sound...

True!

And regardless of what bad things you can say about him, I think he's one of the best bass players there is, especially live...

Best there is? Stretching it a bit there dude. He's good. I personally know 5 local bass players who can mop the floor with him.

The idea of Van Halen still kinda sucks without him...

He's the ONLY bass player for Van Halen, imo...

Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Mikey was GRATE live...

Fair Warning has some of the best rock bass ever recorded...

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
                  There really is an odd sort of revisionist history at work amongst some so-called CVH fans. Apparently, because Mike Anthony chose to remain active over the years by hitching his wagon to the dubious efforts of Sam Hagar, his involvement with Van Halen can therefor be derided, diminished or in some strange cases completely dismissed. The behavior is puzzling to say the least, and just doesn't add up.

Look, I get the fact that people wish to see and hear David Lee Roth in Van Halen, yet at the same time do not follow the desperation to do so resulting in acceptance of the absence of a former band member. To compound things by saying the bassist never mattered and wasn't so hot in the first place sounds more like a boatload of rationalization, and nebulous thinking to boot. As I said, I get the whole "Dave at any cost" argument, believe me, and if that works for you folks, terrific. But please, do me the simple courtesy of not attempting to convince me this situation is not only acceptable, but is an improvement of some sort. The argument's reasoning is faulty, as is the so-called logic behind it.
                  Amen to that...

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

It's all fucking ignorance.

Do people honestly want someone with 30 + years experience and a proven track record with the band or do they want a kid who's played the bass for 3 months because of his last name and the fact that Mike had lunch with Sammy or something? How does the fucking record sound?
                    Do we require all of our musicians that we listen to to see our way on everything? It seems tunnelvisioned to me. Exception being Michael jackson only if he did the diddle because that's incomprehensible. But that could be media spin also for any number of reasons. But it doesn't make the lead break to Beat It any less brilliant.

Of course the how does the album sound angle comes off weak here since the bass player's been buried in the mix, but if fit perfectly with Eddie's playing, the way Sheehan fits with Paul Gilbert. Plus you have to admit that the Dave and Mike vocal on the On Fire track is pure power, and nothing bass player's done since is going to diminish that.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Plus you have to admit that the Dave and Mike vocal on the On Fire track is pure power, and nothing bass player's done since is going to diminish that.
                      And there are countless other examples...

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2004

The situation may not be acceptable to many of you, and I get that. But, it is THIS (version of the) band or nothing. Ed will never toss his kid now. And Wolf would be a dumb ass to walk away from his share of what will be earned on this next round.

And if anyone (ie Dave) tries to force the issue of Mike being back in the band, Ed will throw his hands in the air and say "fuck it and forget it".

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

I couldn't agree more !! But at the same time Ed want's his son in HIS band. So what, I don't like it and I bet most fair weather VH fans would say it's bullshit Mike got the boot also. Life goes on, and so do alot of rock band's with different members. I won't let it bother me if the disc is good. I don't think i'll be sitting there listening to 12 new song's saying Mike would have sounded better on that part or this part !! If I do then maybe Dave should have stayed home himself !!! Mike is a great bassplayer and singer, also probably the most normal guy from Van Halen. I'll miss him live again because Wolf's bass tone sound's too much like a guitar but on the disc I really couldn't care less !!!

Comment

• Big Troubles
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Feb 2004

i think it would make more sense to debate the issue after there's something new to listen to. For all we know Wolfs' gots some mad skills... well maybe not...
                            "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

Working...