X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carloscda
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2009

Records sales Dave vs Sam

I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm trying to find the tread with the figures?
    I have to let someone know what time it Really is!
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

I remember that thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it. It was from a while back, and at the time the info I posted in it was still relevant. Now, I'm not so sure, as it was from 2005. You can find the figures at this LINK.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Just search it on RIAA...
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Carloscda
        I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm trying to find the tread with the figures?
        For USA sales only the most reliable source is probably the RIAA Gold and Plantinum database:

Okay, I clearly have to much spare time on my hands ... here's what I found - compilations, videos and singles are excluded. Dates in brackets refer to the last (gold, platinum, etc) award relating to the album. I could be wrong, but I understand that when albums have been out many years it is up to the record company / artist to make some kind of claim that an album has sold another million, or whatever.

DLR-era albums
        Van Halen (10x platinum, as of 1996)
        Van Halen II (5x platinum, as of 2004)
        Women & Children First (3x platinum, as of 1994) - note: the database only finds it with this spelling
        Fair Warning (2x platinum, as of 1994)
        Diver Down (4x platinum, as of 1998)
        1984 (10x platinum, as of 1999)
        -----------------------------------------
        TOTAL = 34m

Hagar-era
        5150 (6x platinum, as of 2004)
        OU812 (4x platinum, as of 2004)
        FUCK (3x platinum, as of 1994)
        Balance (3x platinum, as of 2004)
        Live: Right Here, Right Now (2x platinum, as of 1993)
        ----------------------------------------
        TOTAL= 18m

Who knows about worldwide sales, though ... seems impossible to find any info. My guess is that 'Van Halen' and '1984' would be the best sellers outside the USA.

I heard Eddie say on Howard Stern - during his 'cure for cancer' interview - that he thought VH had sold over 100m records (albums, singles presumably, etc., and presumably worldwide). 'Jump' must've sold quite a few million worldwide alone.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Wow, that's astounding when you realize that the first VH album (or 1984, take your pick) by itself sold more than half (10 Million) of all the Hagar era albums did combined (18 million).

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

With the CD remasters of the 6 pack, the sales may have changed upwards - but if VH or Warners have not asked for an audit of sales, the certification will remain as it was on those dates. According to the RIAA website it is up to the record company to request an audit of an album or single (which they pay a fee to the RIAA for). I reckon 'Van Halen I' is probably the one that still shifts units.
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Found some info on British certifications, which is new online at the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) website (http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx) - or relatively new, at least. DLR looks almost as successful as the DLR incarnation of VH - many albums of both eras dont' have any certification.

In the UK, Platinum = 300,000 sales; Gold = 100,000; and Silver = 60,000.

DLR-era albums
              Van Halen (Gold, as of 1984)
              1984 (Gold, as of 1999)

Hagar-era
              5150 (Silver, as of 1986)
              OU812 (Silver, as of 1988)
              FUCK (Silver, as of 2010) -- interesting: so the band or Warners asked for an audit in 2010

DLR solo (UK)
              Eat 'Em and Smile (Gold, as of 2004)
              Skyscraper (Silver, as of 1988)
              A Little Ain't Enough (Silver, as of 1991)
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Cool stats......always nice to see it black and white.

If you ever find yourself in a debate with a Hagar-Apologist.........ask 'em how many Diamond Status Albums the fat fucker has with VH!

Dave has two!
                Originally posted by vandeleur
                E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                  Found some info on British certifications, which is new online at the BPI (British Phonographic Industry) website (http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx) - or relatively new, at least. DLR looks almost as successful as the DLR incarnation of VH - many albums of both eras dont' have any certification.

In the UK, Platinum = 300,000 sales; Gold = 100,000; and Silver = 60,000.

DLR-era albums
                  Van Halen (Gold, as of 1984)
                  1984 (Gold, as of 1999)

Hagar-era
                  5150 (Silver, as of 1986)
                  OU812 (Silver, as of 1988)
                  FUCK (Silver, as of 2010) -- interesting: so the band or Warners asked for an audit in 2010

DLR solo (UK)
                  Eat 'Em and Smile (Gold, as of 2004)
                  Skyscraper (Silver, as of 1988)
                  A Little Ain't Enough (Silver, as of 1991)
                  Good to see confirmation of what I have always said that Van Hagar was never popular in the UK.

Comment

• darkknight
                    Groupie
                    • Mar 2004

Another fact of the record sales that you can't really see here: Back in the day when DLR was still in the band, with each album, the sales exceeded the previous release, with the exception of Fair Warning. But it was picked back up with Diver Down and 1984. With Hagar, the sales fell with each release. Dave built it up and Spam tore it down.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by darkknight
                      With Hagar, the sales fell with each release. Dave built it up and Spam tore it down.
                      Word...
                      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jul 2010

Integrity : 34,000,000

vs.

Non-Integrity : 18,000,000

Winner : Integrity

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

We're still arguing about this overwhelming fact the size of Texas? IT'S OVER! DAVE WON SPAMSTER LOST! If you don't like that, then say hello to little Elvis motherfucker!

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Carloscda
                            Ah one of our most classic threads, it certainly refuted at the time Sammy's claims "I sold more Van Halen the Dave did."

I believe that one was lost during the BEPH attack..

Lookng at both singers' sales, we figured here that Sammy's sales citation could only be based on ANY Van Halen titles selling during the period 1985 thru '96.

That's playing dirty. The fool should have just said "hey, as a singer I sold XXX amount my whole career, pretty good for a B-level artist joining an A-list band."

I'd agree to that point. Sammy sold fairly well before VH, then decliningly well after. He should always mention that fact whenever he rolls the numbers off his tongue, because he has no possible way to arrive at the figures he's claimed while excluding the first 6 albums and that's very misleading.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Just pulling numbers out of the air, I seem to recall worldwide figures Sammy was citing were 68 million, ptiching against Dave's worldwide career of 38. And then we separated that from Sammy's number and it became 36 million for Sammy?

I don't know. I did feel disappointed that it was close by a few million, when you subtract the first 6 from Sammy's total and then reinclude worldwide figures, which are always underreported ANYWAYS by the label so they can fudge the numbers.

Looking at just the numbers Dave wins out and that's what mattered in that arguement.

FWIW Sammy's career started 12 years earlier than Dave, too!

Comment

Working...