Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

There's a hilarious moment in that documentary about the Sam and Dave tour - what's it called 'Rage off the Stage'? - they are switching headliner status each night, and on one particular night they are in LA. Dave happens to be the headlining act. He has a HUGE dressing room, and it is full of scantily-clad babes, deluxe leathur couches etc, and Hagar is running around complaining cuz he has a little room with just a table. And he says - 'I've got 70 guests coming! How can I entertain them in this shitty little room? I've sold 70 million albums.' Later Dave is in his bus or something, and Sammy is banging at the door for him to come out and have a drink. Surrounded by fine young ladies, Dave says - 'There's Sammy. Every night he's banging on the door with a bottle of tequila in one hand and his dick in the other'. Dave just ignores him. LMAO.

Sammy always threw those numbers out as if it meant something. But if you check RIAA I think he has three platinum albums outside of Van Halen (none multi-platinum), and one of them is Montrose - which took more than ten years to sell a million.

Now - who knows, he might be counting up things like songs he wrote that other people had hits with. Rick Springfield had a number one - I think - with a Hagar tune. Better Midler (ahem, Sam in disguise???) recorded one of his songs. But even if you allow all that, he's just making it up - this whole 'I sold 65, 70 million'.

I still think, though, aside from sales he probably made - or I should say, managed to get paid - more CASH than Van Halen did in the Roth-era. I think VH got a crappy royalty / publishing deal. That Ed Leffler was a crafty businessman, arranging for Sammy to get a million bucks her and there to do crappy songs on mediocre film sountracks. VH only really made cash, Mike Anthony said, after Hagar and Leffler joined. Not 'cos they SOLD more, but because they had a proper fuckin manager for the first time.

Noel Monk was just some dude that was the brother of the Rolling Stones' road crew guy, Chip Monk, and he had road managed the Sex Pistols one and only tour of the US - I think that's how he got the gig with VH.

Remember Dave complaining around 2000 about the royalties he was on - 15cents per album or something, and even Mike Anthony was getting 2,3 dollars per album sold. All because Leffler, and then Ray Danniels, renegotiated huge advances / royalty rates against THE ENTIRE back catalog. No wonder it all fell to bits with Dave and VH when they had almost done that album in 2000.

If anybody has not read those bits of Hagar's biography, 'Red Storm Rising' that were floating around on the internet a few years ago, you should. All the business stuff makes very interesting reading. And you realise that Hagar has always been a shrewd businessman. He was buying up rare, fine wines as INVESTMENTS in the seventies, FFS. But, but - he took out an injunction against the book. I have bits of it. If anyone wants me to post it, I'll see what I can do.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
      Veteran
      • Jun 2005

I wish there was a site where you could look up particular albums that we know didn't go gold or platinum just to see what they did sell (30k, 100k, whatever). It looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to Soundscan and that only goes from like 1991 to present. Anyone know of any other sites to investigate such?
      RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
      LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
        If anybody has not read those bits of Hagar's biography, 'Red Storm Rising' that were floating around on the internet a few years ago, you should. All the business stuff makes very interesting reading. And you realise that Hagar has always been a shrewd businessman. He was buying up rare, fine wines as INVESTMENTS in the seventies, FFS. But, but - he took out an injunction against the book. I have bits of it.
        I have that in txt file format too, it is a good read of 3 chapters - like 9 - 10 - 11 was it?

GREAT analysis, thanks!

I used to have respect for him up till '85 because he is after all a fair songwriter in his own right. But then he started running his mouth about Dave and when I saw that, I was like WHAT?

I mean who in their right mind does that: you go replace a favorite member who's still alive, still very popular with the fans and then talk disrespect to the camera about a guy based on what your new band says about him and don't even know - that wasn't right. To me Sammy never broke out of that B-level artist terrritory of One Hit Wonderland... then joins an A-level act and downtalks the outsted singer FUCK you.

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
          Anyone know of any other sites to investigate such?
          RIAA's a crooked accounting monopoly, and they fail to include international figures and refuse audits - they'll only publish feel-good numbers favoring the labels claims anyway.

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by GAR
            I have that in txt file format too, it is a good read of 3 chapters - like 9 - 10 - 11 was it?
            Yeah I think it is those three chapters. And it would have been a good read to see the whole thing. It gives a good insight into the VH brothers, too. In the book you see that when the relationship with Sammy was obviously hitting the skids - before the big 'Human's Being' bust up - he would turn up at soundcheck on tour and Ed and Al would launch into Roth-era tunes like Beautiful Girls and Hot For Teacher JUST AS HE WALKED ONSTAGE. Haha. Fuckin' hilarious.

I loved Montrose, GAR. And I thought Hagar's live album 'All Night Long' is one of the great live albums. I saw him in concert and thought he kicked ass in a way that his studio albums never did, etc., but I just loved Van Halen way way more and couldn't get used to having no Dave. And - despite all else you can say about 'the sisters' - I love them for doing that soundcheck thing that Hagar mentions in his book; for playing those tunes to get on Sammy's nerves, which probably was their way of saying 'it's our band'.

What a pair of marvellous fuckers!
            Last edited by VHscraps; 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM. Reason: typos
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

Marvelously defective, more like.

Comment

• VHscraps
                Veteran
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                I wish there was a site where you could look up particular albums that we know didn't go gold or platinum just to see what they did sell (30k, 100k, whatever). It looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to Soundscan and that only goes from like 1991 to present. Anyone know of any other sites to investigate such?
                Don't know any other sites. But as for the worldwide sales issue, look at this below, which I clipped from Billboard in early December 1984. That's roughly 11 months after the 1984 album came out (seeing as it came out at the end of Dec 83 and the issue of Billboard likely went to press a week before it appeared, etc). Now, this says - and it is a Warners ad - that '1984' sold almost 8 million copies worldwide during the year. The RIAA certifications, which are for the USA only (often overlooked fact), say that by October 22, 1984 the album had been certified as 4x platinum in the USA (it went to 5x by the end of Jan 1985). So, if this advert is accurate, 1984 sold almost 4 million outside the USA during the first year of its release.

It is reasonable to suppose that not all of their albums were as successful worldwide - '1984' was pushed into the hands of a wider audience because 'Jump' was a high-charting hit the world over. So, the sales figures that are usually bandied around (circa 65m) are based on USA sales only, and would be significantly revised upwards if VH had been selling even 50% of their USA sales in the rest of the world.

Last edited by VHscraps; 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM.
                THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by darkknight
                  Another fact of the record sales that you can't really see here: Back in the day when DLR was still in the band, with each album, the sales exceeded the previous release, with the exception of Fair Warning. But it was picked back up with Diver Down and 1984. With Hagar, the sales fell with each release. Dave built it up and Spam tore it down.
                  To which the Hagar apologists will say "well, grunge killed off sales for bands like Van Halen," but then one points out that Van Hagar only had a single studio release, Balance, put out after all the 'Seattle bands' hit it big. Like, the only thing they can say is that Van Hagar had all of their albums reach #1, but as a commercial artist, would you rather see your album go #1 and sell 2 million copies or stay at #2 and sell 10 million?

About the only thing in their favor is that every Van Hagar release was available from the get-go on CD, which by 1986 was pretty much the primary format purchased. Thus, all the CVH albums were potentially rebought as people upgraded their vinyl and cassette formats to cd.

Whatever. Who gives a shit? I mean, I'd sooner listen to FW (CVH's album that inexplicably sold the least amount of copies) than 5150 (Van Hagar's highest seller) any day of the week.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

The bottom line is this, and I've been saying it for quite a long time now:

NO ONE, that I know of anyway, who has seen Van Halen live with David Lee Roth, prefers the Hagarita era over the DLR era.....

NO ONE
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
                      Sammy always threw those numbers out as if it meant something. But if you check RIAA I think he has three platinum albums outside of Van Halen (none multi-platinum), and one of them is Montrose - which took more than ten years to sell a million.

Now - who knows, he might be counting up things like songs he wrote that other people had hits with. Rick Springfield had a number one - I think - with a Hagar tune. Better Midler (ahem, Sam in disguise???) recorded one of his songs. But even if you allow all that, he's just making it up - this whole 'I sold 65, 70 million'.
                      I think it's part bullshit and part complete bullshit.

I think what he does is count all Van Halen albums sold while he was in the band but a ton of them were people buying Roth era CDs.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        I think what he does is count all Van Halen albums sold while he was in the band but a ton of them were people buying Roth era CDs.
                        I agree, and it is completely bone-headed. It makes roughly as much as if Alex Rodriguez decided to "borrow" Babe Ruth's hitting stats and add them to his own, since after all they both happened to play for the Yankees.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

NO ONE, that I know of anyway, who has seen Van Halen live with David Lee Roth, prefers the Hagarita era over the DLR era.....

NO ONE

No shit , same here.

Van Hagar was for people who (for the most part) dressed like this...
                          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Little Texan
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Brad Pitt was a Van Hagar fan?

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
                              Commando
                              • May 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

NO ONE
                              Agreed, saw the 84 and 86 shows in DC. My buddy and I left the 86 show early. It was like waking up on Christmas morning and realizing that someone had burglarized your house and stole all your presents.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                I think it's part bullshit and part complete bullshit.

Well, Sam might have a point. He DID drive people to nostalgia and to buy the better version of Van Halen...

Comment

Working...