Former Monkee Davy Jones dies at age 66 in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Monkee Davy Jones dies at age 66 in Florida

..(Reuters) - Davy Jones, former lead singer of the 1960s made-for-television pop band The Monkees, died on Wednesday at a hospital in Florida, according to an official from the local medical examiner's office.

Jones, 66, born in Manchester, England, became the principal teen idol of the rock quartet featured on the NBC comedy series "The Monkees," which was inspired in part by the Beatles film "A Hard Day's Night" and ran from the fall of 1966 to August of 1968.

Although not allowed to play their own instruments on their early records, Jones and his three cohorts - Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith and Peter Tork - had several hits that sold millions of copies, including "Last Train to Clarksville" and "I'm a Believer."

(Reporting by Christine Kearney; Writing by Steve Gorman; Editing by Greg McCune and Vicki Allen)

LINK.
    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Damn.... didn't see that one coming
    Would have thought Peter Tork or Mickey Dolenz would have been the first Monkee to kick the bucket. Damn this makes me feel old.

Rest In Peace, Davy

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

I loved (and still do) the Monkees, as they were probably my first exposure to rock and roll. What a shame to go out at only 66. Apparently it was due to a heart attack.

RIP, Davy.

And this is still a great album, despite who did and did not play on it:

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

One of the first lp's I got when I was a nipper was their greatest hits
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

The first real "boy band" what will Marcia Brady do now?

Oh dear.

Comment

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by chefcraig View Post
              I loved (and still do) the Monkees, as they were probably my first exposure to rock and roll. What a shame to go out at only 66. Apparently it was due to a heart attack.

RIP, Davy.

And this is still a great album, despite who did and did not play on it:

The only clunker was Hard to Believe. Other than that, I agree.

Comment

Mikey Dolenz handles the lead vocals on this, but Davy is all over the place doing backups. Still one of the coolest tunes ever.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

My oldest sister used to watch The Monkees on television all the time. Actually I wasn't very old at the time but it was an important exposure to pop culture and rock and roll that I would love my whole life. Davey was always the up beat positive one. He really stood out. He was the sunshine in The Monkees. He was part of something that made people feel good and that is why he and The Monkees are not only remembered but cherished.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

The porpoise is waiting....goodbye goodbye.... (and thanks for all the fish)

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
                        My Nerf Ball lasted three seconds. The dog got it and tore it up.
                        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

I remember my sister and all the older girls in my neighborhood looooooved the Monkees, and Jones in particular when I was little...I thought they were silly. Amazing they were the first major band that took Hendrix out as their opening act (and subsequently got blown off the stage nightly).
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

Originally posted by jhale667 View Post
                            I remember my sister and all the older girls in my neighborhood looooooved the Monkees, and Jones in particular when I was little...I thought they were silly. Amazing they were the first major band that took Hendrix out as their opening act (and subsequently got blown off the stage nightly).
                            Not to mention all the 12 year old girls who came to the show to see the Monkees were confused by "the evil black man humping his guitar on stage".
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

@ 1:25 The nasty Marsha comes out.
                              Last edited by SNIPER; 02-29-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X