X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Edward Speaks About Postponed Dates

A month after calling off 30 shows, the guitarist denied infighting was the cause of the band's decision.

Nearly a month after Van Halen abruptly postponed more than 30 dates on its reunion tour, the band's leader is refuting claims of infighting among members and offering an explanation for its decision.

On May 17, just two months into the tour, Van Halen shelved plans for 30 shows with no explanation provided by the band or the tour promoter.
    Now, guitarist Eddie Van Halen tells USA Today, "We bit off more than we could chew. This record ("A Different Kind of Truth') took a lot out of us. And we went on tour earlier than we wanted to so we could play Madison Square Garden (in March, before a renovation), and that threw the schedule out of whack."

The band will have completed more than 40 shows on this leg, and "a lot of the canceled dates were in cities we already played," he told USA Today. "So in November, we'll hit Japan, and in the new year, we'll possibly do something special, but I can't talk about it."

His comment are in sharp contrast for the reason cited a month ago in Rolling Stone. The venerable rock magazine reported that Van Halen's members "hate each other," quoting a source as saying "the band is arguing like mad. They are fighting."

The tour is in support of “A Different Kind of Truth,” Van Halen's first studio album with singer David Lee Roth since 1984.

Eddie Van Halen told USA Today, "Dave's the same as he's always been, funny, witty ... Sometimes I can only take that in small doses, because he just goes on and on."

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • GreenBayLA
    Sniper
    • Jan 2006

At least he addressed the issue. They are getting older...
    As discussed here, probably due to slow sales as well. Other bands are doubling up: Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Kiss/Motley Crue, Def Lep/Posin Gotta give people more bang for their buck.
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 06-15-2012, 04:32 AM.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
      At least he addressed the issue. They are getting older...
      As discussed here, probably due to slow sales as well. Other bands are doubling up: Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Kiss/Motley Crue, Def Lep/Posin Gotta give people more bang for their buck.
      more like (at least in Leppard and Poison's case) they wouldn't fill the same size room on their own. see also Nugent/Speedwagon/Styx, and a couple of the other package tours.
      Last edited by twonabomber; 06-15-2012, 06:38 AM.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GreenBayLA
        As discussed here, probably due to slow sales as well.
        After putting out an embarrassing amount of money for Roger Waters tickets on July 7th, there was no way I'd be able to hit the proposed show at the Izod Center on 7/15... especially after seeing them a few months ago. I think it was good business to take the summer off.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Maybe for you...

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Good taking the summer off for all the markets that got a show or two... Not so good for many of the secondary markets that they haven't played yet. For myself I can only hope this thing doesn't unravel before or if they resume US dates.
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

At least Ed & Daves stories match true or not..

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                Sniper
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by loungemachine

"and in the new year, we'll possibly do something special, but i can't talk about it."
                oh no!!!!
                WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
                  Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

That whole article is taken directly from the USA today story two days ago.

Oh dear.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

I pray the "something special" does not involve the Ched Rocker.
                    WE'RE ON A MISSION FROM ROTH.

Comment

• Grit
                      Roadie
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                      Speculation that it is the Halftime Show at Next Year's Superbowl . . . That would be awesome!

Definitely not Spammy Hagar . . . Yeeeesh!

Comment

• mh5150
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
                        Its more flip flops

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Grit
                          Speculation that it is the Halftime Show at Next Year's Superbowl . . .
                          you're a couple days late, sport.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Ed and Wolf coming up on CNN right now....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Really nice interview, although it was much like the USA Today one....

Nice look into the 5150 studio, and the "vault"....

And, Australia in October ??

The video should be up on CNN soon....
                              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...