X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Farewell Big "E"

USS Enterprise being Deactivated from the US Navy List of Ships today after 5 Decades of Service!

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It makes me sort of sadz. I would think the old girl still has another decade or so left in her...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Never server on her, but know a lot of buddies that have....

Fair winds and following seas....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2004

It was inevitable, of course...

This USS Enterprise would have to be retired to make room for the USS Enterprise of the future....

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
        I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I can remember when we lived in Hong Kong and the US Enterprise was in port. There were US Navy sailors everywhere. You know a ship has a big crew when it's that noticeable when they come to shore in a very populated city.

I had a US Enterprise model that would float and ran on batteries. Before there was video games and kids actually built models and sniffed the glue to get high.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Damn, that's a third icon from "Top Gun" that no longer exists. First it was Miramar (Which now belongs to us Devil Dogs, MUHAHAHAHA!!!), then it was the F-14 Tomcat, and now the USS Enterprise.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
              Damn, that's a third icon from "Top Gun" that no longer exists. First it was Miramar (Which now belongs to us Devil Dogs, MUHAHAHAHA!!!), then it was the F-14 Tomcat, and now the USS Enterprise.
              Not to mention SSC/NTC San Diego, where some of the scenes on base were filmed....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

The Virginian-Pilot: Your source for Virginia breaking news, sports, business, entertainment, weather and traffic

Navy: America's next carrier will be named Enterprise

By Mike Hixenbaugh
                The Virginian-Pilot
                © December 1, 2012
                NORFOLK

The mammoth ship that projected American power during the tensest moment of the Cold War, and decades later launched some of the first air attacks in the war on terror, no longer is in service.

But its remarkable legacy – and its iconic name – will live on.

The Navy formally inactivated the aircraft carrier Enterprise on Saturday. A crowd estimated at 12,000 included hundreds of former crew members and dozens of original shipbuilders. They crammed onto a pier at the Norfolk Naval Station to say goodbye to the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier.

In a video address at the end of an emotional ceremony, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announced that the nation’s next aircraft carrier will be named Enterprise, continuing a tradition that dates to the Revolutionary War.

The Big E, the eighth U.S. ship named Enterprise, will be decommissioned next summer after 51 years. Tugboats will tow the 1,123-foot ship to the Newport News shipyard that built it, where it will be dismantled.

“I’m honored to tell this crowd of past and present crew that the work of the name Enterprise is not done,” Mabus said in prerecorded remarks broadcast on large screens and followed by an ovation on the pier.

Saturday, the hour-long ceremony was a time for reminiscing – and some tears – for former sailors who rode the ship through warm Middle Eastern waters or launched off its flight deck in jets carrying bombs destined for North Vietnam. .

Two pilots who had flown together from the Enterprise in the Vietnam War embraced for the first time in years. Other former crewmembers posed for photos with grandchildren or laughed while rehashing old stories.

A pair of former crash-and-salvage crewmembers joked about suffering for hours on the flight deck after the huge flattop ran aground on a sandbar near San Francisco in 1983, as it approached the end of a six-month deployment.

Chuck Hawley, a member of the ship’s first crew, recalled taking photos of President John F. Kennedy’s visit to the carrier in April 1962. Months later, Kennedy would order the Enterprise to participate in the naval blockade of Cuba, when the Soviet Union threatened to aim missiles at the U.S. from the Carribbean island.

“Now that I’m 71 years old, and I can read history, I realize I was part of it,” Hawley said. “And that’s kind of cool.”

Sailors from the carrier’s final crew built a time capsule from parts of the ship and allowed former sailors to fill it with notes and mementos. Four crew members carried the steel box onto an aircraft elevator that served as a stage for Saturday’s ceremony and presented it to Adm. Jon Greenert, the chief of naval operations. They asked that it be opened only by the commanding officer of the next Enterprise.

With the inactivation, the U.S. fleet is reduced to 10 aircraft carriers while the Gerald R. Ford is under construction in Newport News. That warship will be the first of a new class of carriers and is slated to join the fleet in 2015.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                  Sadly Tom Cruis is still around. I wouldn't mind seeing him get decommissioned and taken apart.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    Sadly Tom Cruis is still around. I wouldn't mind seeing him get decommissioned and taken apart.
                    Well, he's wacked out with Scientology now, although IMO anyone that believes in the fairy tales of any religion is wacko in some degree....

But Cruise and Top Gun did huge for Navy Recruiting back then. I had been in 3 years by the time the movie came out in '86.....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      Well, he's wacked out with Scientology now, although IMO anyone that believes in the fairy tales of any religion is wacko in some degree....

But Cruise and Top Gun did huge for Navy Recruiting back then. I had been in 3 years by the time the movie came out in '86.....
                      The more time I spend on this rock the more I'm convinced everyone is wacko in some degree.

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

The more time I spend on this rock the more I'm convinced everyone is wacko in some degree.
                        If it's true that this life is just a figment of my imagination I really do need mental help.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

That may be true, but at least for myself I don't let fairy tales control a portion of my life....

Comment

• Satan
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            If it's true that this life is just a figment of my imagination I really do need mental help.
                            Admitting you have a problem is the first step....

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                            I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                              That may be true, but at least for myself I don't let fairy tales control a portion of my life....
                              Everyone believes some bullshit. The monetary system proves this. If people didn't believe in bullshit no way in hell would they be able to just type some numbers in a computer and make people actually believe it was worth something. I was once told investing is the process of finding a bigger fool. You always need someone who wants to pay more for it than you did. Of course the richest people and the people who run things are the master illusionists and bullshitters. Unless you are up at the top, you believe in some bullshit. The real trick is getting enough people to believe in your bullshit. That's the real trick isn't it? Also the grand game is making people think that the solution is to take you down when in reality they are just making you stronger. Most of the world's problems stem from people believing in massive amounts of bullshit and never being able to quite figure it out. No bullshit is alive and well. Religion is just one form of bullshit.

People worship bullshit in many forms.
                              Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...