X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I had an 18 foot pool with the inflatable ring in my back yard and lost the war against the water turning green. We started throwing catfish we caught in the California Aqueduct. We put too many in and they all died from lack of oxygen in the water. We hooked up an air pump after that and it was good to go. Eventually the top ring got weathered and wouldn't hold air and off to the dump it went. We gave all the fish away to friends that like catfish. I can't stand them. They taste like dirt when they come out of the Aqueduct.

HAHA! Thats awesome! My dad took me to the aqueduct a few times. I fished & he & his wife shot muskrats I think. They said they had to because the dig tunnels that eventually will cave in and take a car into the canal. I argued they shouldn't kill them but lost the battle.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• knuckleboner
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
      *you guys see that new Chinese carrier? Damn cool.
      you mean the refurbished soviet carrier. that thing's 20+ years old...

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

really cool graphic Bri. These carriers are fucking amazing behemoths. How the fuck they even float... Entire city on it. I got to go on one in cub scouts or school trip. Forget which. Awesome. Sad to see this one go. But as noted before, gotta get rid of the old Enterprise to make room for the new.

*you guys see that new Chinese carrier? Damn cool.
        That are big until you try and land a jet on one at night in bad weather. Then they are pretty damn small.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I had a submarine that took pellets and a boat too. We had a swimming pool & Id launch em off all the time. Also used the pool to test all my fishing lures out. Chlorine was probably bad, but I was like 10 & it was fun casting off the diving board.

Speaking of fishing. I used to take my 19' boat into San Diego bay to fish. We would drift past the docked carriers. Damn! Compared to my tiny little boat, sheesh. You really appreciate the size of these monsters. I remember a group of the guys on deck of one cheered us as we wrestled in a 22 pound flounder with no gaff. HAHA! Those dudes were thinking....no way these idiots get that slippery beast on board.
          I went halibut fishing with my father in law and we are loading up and he goes, "Oh, I almost forgot my pistol." He comes back with a Colt .45. I'm like going are you expecting some trouble? He goes no it's to shoot the fish with. I'm like what the hell? I guess you don't bring a live halibut into the boat because they can tear it up thrashing around. Got to love ocean fishing.

Comment

• Little Texan
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            I went halibut fishing with my father in law and we are loading up and he goes, "Oh, I almost forgot my pistol." He comes back with a Colt .45. I'm like going are you expecting some trouble? He goes no it's to shoot the fish with. I'm like what the hell? I guess you don't bring a live halibut into the boat because they can tear it up thrashing around. Got to love ocean fishing.
            I'll bet y'all did it just for the halibut.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
              My friend was in the Navy in the early 90's. They were stuck in port in Hawaii when Iniki came through. Everything else got sent out but they were short a generator or engine or something. Anyways...he says "you don't think a ship that big will rock, but it does."

Actually had two friends in the Navy around the same time, my other friend was in the reserves and got sent to Sicily during Desert Shield/Storm. It was kind of cool getting two phone calls from halfway around the world that New Year's Eve. My friend on the O'Brien was in the Gulf "sitting here with the AC on stun."
              I talked to a guy who served on a boomer submarine and he said they would go out for several months and spend most the time submerged. He says underwater unless they are making a fast turn the sub is rock solid. It's like being in a building almost. He says as soon as they surface, especially in rough seas the boat starts to rock. Everyone is like going, lets get this thing back down.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

My dad was a contractor building a facility for the navy and the workmen were going to go on strike. This was a facility that was going to be used to develop nuclear propulsion for naval vessels and it had priority. Admiral Rickover himself showed up and addressed the construction crews. He said you guys can get back to work and make the money you are now or you can go on strike and get drafted and make a serviceman's pay. He said I got your names and numbers and I have a lot of pull in DC and if you don't think I can do it, try me. Nobody went on strike.

Hyman George Rickover (January 27, 1900 – July 8, 1986) was a four-star admiral of the United States Navy who directed the original development of naval nuclear propulsion and controlled its operations for three decades as director of Naval Reactors. In addition, he oversaw the development of the Shippingport Atomic Power Station, the world's first commercial pressurized water reactor used for generating electricity.
                Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-03-2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                  I'll bet y'all did it just for the halibut.

No you really have to shoot them. They can take a transom off a boat or kill you. Halibut can weigh several hundred pounds and are dangerous fish to bring aboard.

Comment

• Little Texan
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

No you really have to shoot them. They can take a transom off a boat or kill you. Halibut can weigh several hundred pounds and are dangerous fish to bring aboard.
                    It's a little joke, dude. Did it just for the halibut (sounds like hell of it).

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Little Texan
                      It's a little joke, dude. Did it just for the halibut (sounds like hell of it).
                      I was just used to smashing the fish's head on the side of the boat or giving them a whack with a fish whacker (a small wooden club). It was the first time I ever heard needing a large caliber handgun to dispatch the catch. I knew I was in new territory. Halibut are some ugly fish too. They deserve to get shot just for being so ugly.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

That are big until you try and land a jet on one at night in bad weather. Then they are pretty damn small.

No wait, let me guess, you were a carrier Sailor too !!
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

C'mon V, it's possible...

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            I've landed on one several times on a COD. Not as a pilot, but as a very hung-over passenger.

COD = Carrier Onboard Delivery

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

My dad was a contractor building a facility for the navy and the workmen were going to go on strike. This was a facility that was going to be used to develop nuclear propulsion for naval vessels and it had priority. Admiral Rickover himself showed up and addressed the construction crews. He said you guys can get back to work and make the money you are now or you can go on strike and get drafted and make a serviceman's pay. He said I got your names and numbers and I have a lot of pull in DC and if you don't think I can do it, try me. Nobody went on strike.
                              Wow! You're dad really couldn't hold a job. I thought he was the head fluffer for the Apollo Program!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

"Ummmm, yeeeeaaahhh! Yeah I was! That's the ticket!"

Comment

Working...