X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

The Impact Of What We Do Online Thread

This is a thread about the impact, and consequences of those who troll/spam forums in hopes of causing anguish and harm to others.

We recently wrote about the disturbing case of William Melchert-Dinkel, a guy who would troll various online suicide forums, claiming to be a nurse, who would then encourage people to go through wi…

uy Who Encouraged People To Commit Suicide Online Banned From The Internet
    from the seems-a-bit-extreme dept

We recently wrote about the disturbing case of William Melchert-Dinkel, a guy who would troll various online suicide forums, claiming to be a nurse, who would then encourage people to go through with their suicide plans, sometimes making suicide pacts with them. As we pointed out at the time, there's really no way to defend what this guy did. He's clearly a sick individual. But, we were concerned about him being charged with "assisted suicide" in Minnesota, where the law seems especially broad, and questionable on First Amendment grounds, because it outlawed just "advising" people on suicide.

In the latest on that case, Melchert-Dinkel has been ordered to stay off the internet completely while the case is ongoing. Like the lawsuit itself, an order like this, seems to raise a lot of questions. I could understand ordering him to stay away from any discussions about suicide, but a blanket internet ban, again, seems like it goes too far. Does it include a VoIP phone? With so much on the internet these days, can you really effectively bar someone from using the internet? We've seen courts that have regularly overturned such bans, claiming that they're unreasonably excessive.

While there's no way to defend what this guy did, so far this whole case seems to go in dangerous directions, both from the standpoint of free speech questions, as well as overly aggressive internet bans, due to one particular activity done on the internet.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Life was so much happier before the internet.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by sadaist
        No, it was not. You were just ignorant of details.

The internet is empowering and that is a grand thing.
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
          I get the sarcasm in this post.....

But seriously, I think that much like the "road rage" syndrome, where people are much braver, and apt to lash out because they feel safer in a 3,000 lb automobile, alot of shit is said safely behind a computer screen, keyboard, or smartphone these days...

Frankly, I'm tired of it. And scared of where it is leading us, as well.

Comment

• ashstralia
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Feb 2004

so WARFy's going to be barred from assisting drinking and listening to spam the flatulent whilst being gay?

how are we going to police the 419 spammers, then? stormfront? facey? shut the fucking whole innernetz down right now if some prissy goth cunt is going to take some fucking idiot troll for real.

i'm fully supportive of an age appropriate rating for some sites, but again, it's ultimately un-enforceable.

/endrant

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

I'm not talking about "enforcing" or "policing".....

I'm talking about PERSONAL responsibility, and personal acts.

No one is telling warf, or anyone else what to do..... I'm just asking when will we as a group realize that 18" of LCD doesn't guard us from other real lives?

Look, I understand I'll be mocked and dismissed by 99% of those here....I get that.

I guess I've just come to the conclusion I'd rather not be a part of it.....

Cheers.

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Yea, but Ash, the same way ya'll trolled that little drunk forum. I know, with no doubt, that predators ( and so called funny guys) troll victims of sexual abuse and assault forums.

It really is up to us to say when our friends are not being cool.
                "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

I don't really get the funny guy troll thing. I mean do people go to AA meetings and pretend to me drunks for the Lulz? I have never met any,

I am a big fan of the lulz, don't get me wrong. But I need a reason to ....
                  What the actors saying, "what's tha motivation?"
                  sigpic

Comment

• Barney G
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Jan 2012

They like being public, that is why security is so low, also, when a group of tossers like us get on their and call them booze-hags they get all self righteous, even Pandora who has been dry for only 5 days.

So thy stick together and weather it off, like all forums they have regular "attack dogs" who deal with the trolls the weak members can watch their new heroes in action and POW, our good posts get deleted, Pandora blasts us with lemur lever morality then we are banned.

A great one sided victory against a determined and ill mannered foe. We even come across as bad drinkers and thus what they unite against. What would batman be without the Joker, The Penguin (etc.)
                    Victor Hugo - What evil good can be

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Blaze
                      I mean do people go to AA meetings and pretend to me drunks for the Lulz?
                      your analogy is marvellous, typo and all. Blazey baby, these online gatherings are akin to a giant playground. if someone steals your furby, or you get a little sand in your mu mu, and you get really REALLY upset about it, ya probably should get out of the kitchen. (mixed metaphor)!.

Comment

• ashstralia
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Feb 2004

we were undoubtably the funniest show on that site for years...
                        for 72 hours..

there were no injuries to any animal or human, or insect during the construction of this stunt.
                        (actually i cleaned my bathroom, and a cockroach died a horrible death. but i saved a cute baby spider with a piece of toilet paper, so it evens out, right?

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

How ironic that an internet bully like Lounge would post his concerns about how what people post might affect the people who read the posts. Bullshit.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• ZahZoo
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            I'm not talking about "enforcing" or "policing".....

I'm talking about PERSONAL responsibility, and personal acts.

No one is telling warf, or anyone else what to do..... I'm just asking when will we as a group realize that 18" of LCD doesn't guard us from other real lives?

Look, I understand I'll be mocked and dismissed by 99% of those here....I get that.

I guess I've just come to the conclusion I'd rather not be a part of it.....

Cheers.
                            I get what you're saying... what we have grown accustomed or even conditioned to as just "internet banter" or fucking around especially on this site and it's derivatives... if directed beyond here in certain areas it could literally affect real human lives. Over the decade or so this place, DDLR, Links and several of the bit player off-shoots there were times I wondered if the mob-mentality and attacks weren't a little too far past reasonable or responsible... Luckily as far as I know no real casualties were inflicted but I'd assume some were affected.

I post at some real civil or civilian sites... I have many times reedited posts before I hit go and had to remind myself I wasn't on this site.
                            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

How ironic that an internet bully like Lounge would post his concerns about how what people post might affect the people who read the posts. Bullshit.
                              Just saying... your choice of what you post and where has a direct correlation to the responses you receive. Clearly others here don't have to work at all to find the targets you paint on yourself... Given the time you've been at it here... one has to wonder if you desire the attention you seem to seek...
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

Working...