The NHL Lockout...does anyone REALLY CARE?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Rumors swirl that NHL season might not be dead yet

By IRA PODELL, AP Sports Writer

February 18, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's still hard for the hockey faithful to accept that the NHL season was really canceled.

And on Thursday, there was still some reason not to believe it.

Day 155 of the NHL lockout was, stunningly, Day 1 of the offseason. But that didn't stop the rumor mill from generating talk that the season might not be dead after all.

Sure, everyone heard commissioner Gary Bettman make the unequivocal announcement Wednesday that the gap between the league and the players' association over a salary cap would keep the NHL off the ice.

Yet, throughout Thursday, word spread that pockets of people on both sides were trying to get the principal players negotiating again.

Bettman said it was too late for talks. But maybe there was still time.

``I hear some rumblings ... that owners and players are trying to make an attempt to get back to the bargaining table, but it's got to occur today, tomorrow, or the next day,'' agent Pat Brisson said.

By nightfall, that faint hope again seemed false -- a familiar outcome of late.

Both sides said there have been no talks since Bettman and players' association executive director Bob Goodenow traded proposals Tuesday.

``We have heard a lot of the rumors that are out there,'' NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly told The Associated Press. ``Unless or until we hear from the union, the rumors are meaningless.''

The Hockey News cited sources that said Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were trying to work together to get a deal done. Gretzky said he talked to Lemieux, but downplayed the significance of their discussion.

``To say Mario and I had a conversation to stir up the conversations and talks again, that's just not true,'' Gretzky said on the Fan 590 in Toronto.

And it appears that no other scenarios could un-cancel the season, either.

``The players we've spoken to understand the basis upon which Gary canceled the season, and as a result there's no expectation among our membership that there would be any further negotiations,'' NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin told the AP.

In becoming the first major sports league in North America to lose an entire season to a labor dispute, the NHL finally got the national attention it's always craved.

But for all the wrong reasons.

Now the fear is the fight over a new deal between owners and players will just start over from scratch. Everything offered has been pulled back, any softening of the positions has been lost.

One canceled season could easily become two.

``I hope the people in these negotiations realize they're not that far apart,'' Rangers forward Bobby Holik said. ``Let's not blame one or the other. The blame is collective, and let's get working on a new day.''

There was no progress made during the first five months of the lockout, but breakthroughs were achieved just days before the season was lost. Hope was raised and then quickly dashed.

The dispute has always been about a salary cap, but even after owners and players made concessions in an effort to save the season, it all fell apart over dollar figures.

``We didn't make good history, but we made history another way,'' Dallas forward Bill Guerin, a member of the players' association executive committee, said while making the radio rounds Thursday. ``We have to be the first union to offer a salary cap and get shot down.''

All along, the union swore it would never accept a cap -- but that was before the NHL dropped its insistence on having a link between league revenues and player costs.

Once the sides started trading numbers, it became clear they weren't close enough to a deal. Even though the league's cap offer of $42.5 million per team was only $6.5 million less than the players' proposal, conditions and fine print put them further apart than it seemed -- a gap that just couldn't be bridged.

``It's crazy,'' said Islanders general manager Mike Milbury, a union representative during his career. ``Twenty years ago when I played, we didn't have in the dressing room catalogs of `Christie's Great Estates of the World.' I mean, these are wealthy people, millionaires, and they are losing valuable time.''

Instead of starting a deal to be on NBC and receiving promos during the network's ``Must See TV'' lineup, the NHL now has people saying, ``Did you see what they did to the hockey season?''

The NHL's partnership with NBC will still be there when play resumes. The revenue-sharing deal in which the network is not even paying rights fees won't start until hockey is played.

``We were prepared for any eventuality,'' NBC Sports spokesman Mike McCarley said. ``We have profitable replacement programming in place.''

Many will now look ahead to this spring's world championship tournament in Austria. Usually, only players on teams eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs had the opportunity to take part -- but many stars might be craving a competitive game.

Over 300 of the 700-plus players have spent at least part of the season in European leagues, and that would be an option again in the fall.

Bettman didn't rule out the use of replacement players for next season if a deal with the union can't be worked out. He said the NHL plans to have hockey next season, and all options will be explored by the board of governors when it convenes soon.

Milbury called some of his players Wednesday night and urged them to push the union leadership to make a deal.

``This is not about a bluff,'' Milbury said. ``The best deal has already been offered. The sooner they come to the conclusion that they need to make a deal to move this business forward, the better off we all are.''

Comment

• Lou

What a joke.

And by the way, did the league not give all the arenas the go-ahead to open up dates 45 days in advance, on a rolling basis? So they wouldn't even be able to get started in April unless the NHL wanted to pay them all something to close the dates again.

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

It's too far gone anyways.

28 games or less for the Cup would be an insult to the history of the game, not like they are worried about it anyway.

It's all bullshit.

Comment

• aesop
          Commando
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
          It's too far gone anyways.

28 games or less for the Cup would be an insult to the history of the game, not like they are worried about it anyway.

It's all bullshit.
          Yea I agree, but they would be an incredible 28 games, though!
          Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Yeah babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!!!!

Of course, leave it up to the 2 greatest players in NHL history (#1 Lemieux for those who don't know ) to get this shit over with....

Rumor is that they are finally agreeing just to piss off Louuuuuuuuuu even more !!!!

Season saved Saturday?

February 18, 2005

The NHL season is expected to be "un-canceled" Saturday in New York.

A player close to the talks who asked to remain anonymous told The Hockey News the two sides have agreed to a deal in principle that features a $45-million salary cap. Asked if there was any way a deal won't get done, the player said,
            "not that I can see. I couldn't possibly imagine the idea that somebody is going to try to make a name for themselves in the last minute here."

Following two days of media speculation that backroom talks between players and owners were taking place in an attempt to "un-cancel" the 2004-05 season, the NHL Players' Association issued a press release Friday night confirming it would be meeting with the league in New York on Saturday. If the two sides are as close as expected, an agreement in principle could be made public tomorrow.

As first reported by The Hockey News, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are still believed to be major players in the process. Both are reported to be in New York taking part in the talks.

"I believe all (that) stuff is pretty accurate," said the player.

A second source confirmed Lemieux traveled to New York on Friday.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman cancelled the season Wednesday with the two sides seemingly within striking distance of a settlement. Though the components of their offers had some differences, the sides agreed on the basic premise of a salary cap with luxury taxes. The union was offering a $49-million cap and the league $42.5 million.

One NHL GM told The Hockey News Bettman’s decision to cancel the season had a lot to do with history repeating itself. In other words, if NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow thought he was going to maintain his reputation of being a successful deadline hunter, he was wrong.
            Since the season was called off, there has been considerable movement among the players as well as agents and GMs to do whatever is necessary to get talks started again in an attempt to save the season.

Detroit captain Steve Yzerman told The Hockey News Thursday afternoon he believed the season could be saved.

“I don’t know if it’s necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday…I know the season has been cancelled, but it’s not too late to 'un-cancel' it.”
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Let's hope so.

They better quit fucking around and get on with this thing.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I think they should just have a giant round-robin tournemant at this point if the season does come about.

In most cases, I would say fuck-it and scrap it.

But I read the Buffalo Sabres, a mediocre team at best under ususal circumstances, believe they can actually make a run at the Cup in a shortend season since most of their team is under contract, an unusual state of affairs due to the lockout. For instance, the Bruins don't even have a goalie signed!

Comment

• Lou

Originally posted by aesop
                  Yea I agree, but they would be an incredible 28 games, though!
                  And that's precisely what the hard-core hockey fan doesn't get in terms of how the rest of the world perceives the sport.

What a joke if this really happens. Frankly I find it MORE embarrassing for the league if it comes back for a bogus season.

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

A real hockey fan doesn't give a rats ASS how the "rest of the world" perceives the game. Stick to B-ball, and leave a real sport to the people who play and enjoy it.

Comment

• Lou

I certainly will. Complete joke of a sport. I'm just pissed off that if they come back, my local sports radio station will be carrying Flyers games instead of sports talk.

So a hard-core hockey fan is gonna accept the 2005 Stanley Cup winner as legitimate? I can't imagine ANY NFL fan accepting a 6 game season with playoffs as a legit Super Bowl, or a 50 game baseball season as a legit World Series, or a 28 game NBA season as a legitimate title.

If you enjoy being locked into this regionalized, closed-off fanbase that no one cares about, you've certainly got your wish.

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Choose your poison. If you enjoy the parity and homogenized New NFL, good work. I'm sure it's the BEST football ever! Too bad all the decent NBA stars have retired, and people are forced to suffer thru a boring 16 game season with little excitement or drama.

And sorry about the Eagles........explains a lot of the frustration.

Comment

• Lou

Nah the frustration is that if the Flyers play again, it's gonna be carried by my local sports station. Then Flyers fans will call up (they're not hockey fans, they're just Flyers fans) and I really don't feel like hearing about the Flyers or hockey in general.

Anyway, enjoy a bunch of foreigners who can't speak English if the NHL comes back. How the hell can you root for people who have zero ties to the US?

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Hockey is THRIVING in the USA. In MICHIGAN, MASS, Minnesota, FLORIDA, CALIFORNIA, the CAROLINAS, etc. Youth hockey is HUGE and Minor league hockey attendance is at an all time high. Just because the NHL is hurting doesn't mean the SPORT is in anyway diminished.

And if you haven't noticed, there's just a couple of guys from MICHIGAN in the NHL. They speak English well enough!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Matt White
                              A real hockey fan doesn't give a rats ASS how the "rest of the world" perceives the game. Stick to B-ball, and leave a real sport to the people who play and enjoy it.
                              Well said Matt, well said...

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Lou
                                I can't imagine ANY NFL fan accepting a 6 game season with playoffs as a legit Super Bowl
                                So what you're saying is that the Redskins should disregard their Super Bowl XXII win because they started the 1987 season with replacement players and had a shortened season ???

The Dodgers should disregard their World Series championship in 1981 because of their strike ??

Labor disputes have happened in all pro sports, always have and always will....

Comment

Working...