Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Yeah...but we're talking Steelers football here...

I agree...the fact that one of the flagship teams in the NFL have one of the worse fields is embarrassing...

someone will end up getting hurt...and they'll figure out how to fix it...

You'd figure state of the art would also mean good...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

Well, on the other fields that the mix is in there, like Denver and I believe Cleveland, it looks good...

Of course, they don't allow other teams to play on their fields either....

If they were to make them play the WPIAL finals elsewhere, it would be a PR nightmare....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Va...a PR nightmare for who?

The Steelers?

Perhaps the politicians...but who gives a fuck about them...

but bro...it's not like people in Pittsburgh are going to say..."FUCK THE STEELERS...WE WON'T GO!"

Lmfao...I mean christ...Pittsburgh isn't Philadelphia...they actually support their team...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Of course, the tickets will still get sold....

I mean face it, they've got 30,000 people on their waiting list....

But you'd agree, that would not make the Steelers look good at all...

The Pirates did the same thing the 1st year that PNC was open, they didn't let them play the WPIAL championships on that field, and the fans didn't like it....

[[ No Pirates jokes, please.... ]]
          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• WARF
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Jets are gonna win sunday!!!!!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Well...I don't know who it would look bad for at this point...

it's a general understanding that the Steelers field is shit...and the more games that are played there, the worse off it gets...

Would they look like St. Nick?...no...

but I think there would be a general understanding...

that being said...Rooney will never stop the local games from playing there...that's part of what makes him a great coach...

Oh...and WARF...dream on...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

The bad field doesn't hurt the Steelers as much as would other teams, being the pwer running team it is anyway, hell probably helps some.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

I kind of agree with that...although a sloppy field leads to spinning wheels...which can slow down a power running game...

not to mention the fact that their receiving corp is one of the best in the game...the field neutralizes that a bit...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Is that with Burress or without ...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

With...although Randal El is a good one in his own right...

but at 6-5...and with his speed (albeit a 10 cent head) and catching ability...to go along with a possession guy as tenacious as WARD...and you are talking mammoth problems...

Doesn't Ford Field have one of those hybrid fields as well?

I seem to recall hearing something about ground tires at the base of the field...because whenever a cut or hit is made...a big black could of tire shavings come up...

what the fuck is up with that?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

I'm not really sure, but you are correct. I guess safety was the biggest factor in the advent of this tire grass shit. Doesn't grab and gives a lot more than the old artificial turfs.

Ours being indoors though makes a little more sense to me.

I'm picking the Steelers this week though, just not going against them at home.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

How the fuck does that hybrid shit work anyways...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

I'm liking the Steelers' schedule this year...

no week to take a break...they have to bring the A game every week...and the fact that 2 of their 3 skill players...in Staley and Burress have been out...and they've continued to win...

funny...they make a big deal about Westbrook and Dillon being out...excuses more like it...but...what about Burress and Staley?

Comment

• ALinChainz
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Ford Motor Co. might have a problem burying its Firestone tire problem, but it has found a place to bury the reclaimed Firestone tires -- in the turf of Ford Field.

A spokeswoman for FieldTurf, a Montreal-based company that will produce the artificial turf for the Lions' new stadium, said the crumb rubber used in the field base was derived exclusively from Firestone tires.

"They wanted only Firestone products to be used," FieldTurf sales and marketing director Wendy Dawson told Ward's.Auto .com.

Tom Lewand, vice president of stadium development, said the use of the reclaimed Firestones is in line with William Clay Ford Jr.'s theories on corporate responsibility. Ford is chief executive officer of Ford Motor Co.

"It's going to be a crumb rubber base anyway," Lewand said. "To the extent it promotes environmental good citizenship, good."

The rubber comes from cryogenically frozen tires that have been shredded. The polyester and steel components in the tires are removed, reducing the tires to a fine powdery consistency.

The playing surface is composed of a carpet-like covering of synthetic grass, which extends through several layers of silica sand and crumb rubber, giving the surface a cushion-like feel to players who slide or fall on it.

FieldTurf is also installing the surface at the Lions' new practice field on the Allen Park-Dearborn border.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

From the Freep ...

March 9, 2002

BY CURT SYLVESTER
                                FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Comment

Working...