Steelers' quest to return to Super Bowl begins with minicamp

Tools Print this article
    E-mail this article
    Subscribe to this paper
    Larger / Smaller Text

By Joe Bendel
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, May 6, 2005

The Steelers open mini-camp today with the hopes that star linebacker Joey Porter is not facing a serious shoulder injury, that nobody fails to show up and that their rookie class makes a solid impression. Porter was on the South Side yesterday for a magnetic resonance imaging test on the shoulder. The results were not available.

Wide receiver Hines Ward, who is looking for a contract extension as he enters the final season of his current deal, isn't likely to pull a no-show like former teammate Plaxico Burress (who signed with the New York Giants this offseason) did in '04.

In fact, he's approaching the weekend workouts -- five total practices between today and Sunday -- as the first phase in his quest to help the Steelers get back to the Super Bowl after a 10-year hiatus.

"This is the foundation," said Ward, a four-time Pro Bowler who could become the highest-paid player in Steelers history. "This is where it all starts, so I'm looking forward to it and I'm excited about it."

As far as the extension goes, Ward said, "My agents, they're taking care of my contract. I haven't heard anything. I know they're talking, so really, I just gotta do my job and let my agent and the Steelers really worry about my contract."

Last year at mini-camp, coach Bill Cowher set out to re-establish the team's commitment to the running game. The result was a ball-control offense that was second in the league in rushing, which helped the Steelers forge a 15-1 regular-season record.

This year, the goal is to tweak a team that returns pretty much intact, save the free-agent losses of offensive starters Burress, guard Keydrick Vincent and tackle Oliver Ross. Veteran cornerback Willie Williams said the way to overcome the losses -- on and off the field -- is to tackle minicamp as a new beginning.

"The guys still feel down about how last year ended, but we have to pull together," said veteran cornerback Willie Williams, who will be challenged by young corners Ricardo Colclough, Ike Taylor and second-round draft choice Bryant McFadden. "It feels good that we're in the position we're in, though. Now, we get to try to pick up where we left off.

"It's time for us to take the next step. This is how you get there."

All eyes will be on a draft class that features McFadden, wideout Fred Gibson, a fourth-round selection out of Georgia, and offensive lineman Chris Kemoeatu, 6-foot-3, 344 pounds, who was taken in the sixth round out of Utah.

First-round pick Heath Miller, considered the top tight end in college football last season, will be restricted in how he's used as he continues to rehabilitate a sports hernia injury he sustained early last season at the University of Virginia. The Steelers expect him to be fully ready by training camp.

Miller and the rest of the draft class -- eight players in all -- arrived on the South Side yesterday to get acquainted with the facilities and take a battery of tests in preparation for the three-day mini camp.

Third-round pick Trai Essex, an offensive tackle from Northwestern, is counting the seconds.

"This is the team I wanted to come to. It's my dream team," said Essex, who must re-educate himself in blocking for the Steelers' pro-style scheme, as opposed to Northwestern's spread set. "I watched the Steel Curtain as a kid, even though I wasn't born yet, I would watch the highlights," said Essex, a fan of former Steelers players Rod Woodson and Barry Foster, and current Steelers tailback Jerome Bettis.

Some draftniks suggested the Steelers "reached" in drafting Essex in the third round, while others believe it was a solid selection. Essex explained why opinions varied.

"I think some went by my (scouting) combine workouts, which weren't the greatest," he said. "Others saw my film and liked what I could do as a football player."

Essex and the rest of the Steelers players get to show what they can do on the fields on South Side starting at 10:15 a.m. today

His favorite players were Woodson and Foster...holy christ...Essex was a bad pick...lmfao...

Good to see all the guys showing up though...looks like Porter could be out long term...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

Here's an article on Hines WARD...

Negotiations under way for Ward
      Thursday, May 05, 2005

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

One year after Hines Ward first made it an issue, the Steelers and agent Eugene Parker have opened negotiations for a contract extension that could become the most expensive in the team's history.

And, one year later, it's no longer an issue, at least not a public one, for the Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl receiver.

"There's nothing I can do," Ward said yesterday as he and the rest of the Steelers prepare for the start of a mandatory three-day minicamp tomorrow. "They're talking to my agent and stuff like that. It's out of my control. I still have to go out here and perform. I'm busting my tail and worrying about getting better. I'll let my agent and the Steelers talk about my contract."

That's different from the approach Ward took last year, when he fretted over a contract that still had two years to go. Holding out of training camp was an option he considered, although a phone call from coach Bill Cowher on the eve of camp helped persuade him to show up on time.

He said there's no thought of missing anything this season, even if there is no contract. Steelers president Art Rooney reiterated in March a promise he made last year to make Ward's contract extension a priority, and the team is now doing that. Whether they can reach an agreement is another matter because the model for a new contract has to be the one the Indianapolis Colts gave Pro Bowl receiver Marvin Harrison last year.

At age 32, Harrison received a reported seven-year, $67 million extension that included $23 million in guaranteed money the first two years. He earned a $6 million signing bonus last year plus a $7 million roster bonus this past March, which subsequently was turned into a signing bonus for salary cap accounting. In essence, he received a $13 million signing bonus.

At 29, Ward is younger than Harrison and, considering the Steelers throw the ball much less than the Colts, relatively more productive. Before 2002, Yancey Thigpen held the Steelers' record with 85 receptions in 1995. Since then, Ward has topped that three times with 94, 112 and 95. His 80 catches last season were remarkable because the Steelers ran 61 percent of the time, a 20-year NFL high.

Ward is the only Steelers' receiver to make four Pro Bowls and, with 505 career receptions, will soon pass Hall of Famer John Stallworth, who leads them with 537 receptions.

With Plaxico Burress gone, Ward's importance to the team grows.

There's a good reason Ward is not saying much about his contract this year; he doesn't have to. His consistent, high-level performance speaks for itself. Last year was different. Ward, who earned $1.6 million in salary last season, knew Burress was entering the final year of his contract and rightfully worried that the team would not be able to pay big money to both their starting receivers. He was right; they chose not to pay Burress and to concentrate on paying Ward this year.

"It's a business," Ward said. "Last year it was me not understanding the situation. But players come and go, you have to understand that aspect. You can't tell somebody how to run their business."

Ward has been working out with teammates at their UPMC facility since April 11. He has been remarkably resilient over his career despite his style of play that includes a reputation as the toughest blocker among wide receivers in the NFL. He hasn't missed a game since the Steelers drafted him in the third round from Georgia in 1998 -- 118 games, including six in the playoffs. He hasn't missed a start since one in 2000 and only three starts since he took over at flanker in 1999.

Another three more years at this pace and Ward will be sitting on a Hall of Fame resume.

"I want to retire as a Steeler," Ward said. "I couldn't imagine playing for another team. It's just great hearing other guys: 'Oh, man, you're the best, I really respect the way you play the game. That keeps me motivated to go out and work twice as hard.'

"To say I'm going to catch 80 or 90 balls, I don't know how the year's going to work out. The only thing I can control is to work hard and get better and be there and help the young guys out."

NOTES -- The Steelers will have two practices each tomorrow and Saturday and one Sunday morning during their minicamp. ... Every player on the roster, except those in NFL Europe, are expected to attend including four veterans who have been training outside of Pittsburgh: Tommy Maddox, Alan Faneca, Duce Staley and Joey Porter.
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Here's the bust...Kendall Simmons...didn't realize he had diabetes...

It would be a HUGE bonus if he could live up to expectations...

Return rejuvenates Simmons

Steelers guard Kendall Simmons takes part in drills

By Mike Prisuta
        TRIBUNE-REVIEW
        Saturday, May 7, 2005

It was only the first practice of minicamp, but Kendall Simmons couldn't have been more appreciative of what took place Friday morning on the South Side.
        "I felt like I was a part of something again," Simmons said after reclaiming his position as the starting right guard on the Steelers' offensive line. "You'll never hear me complain about practice, because I've been out a whole year.

"I'm kinda excited to get back in it. I'm glad to be out there."

Simmons had been out there all too briefly in 2004. After starting all 16 games but failing to live up to anyone's expectations due to a bout with diabetes in 2003 -- Simmons had discovered he was so afflicted on the eve of training camp -- last season was supposed to be the comeback season for the Steelers' No. 1 pick in 2002.

At least that was the plan until a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Simmons' right knee, sustained during a practice in training camp, put his comeback on hold.

Although he's not yet back to full strength, Simmons has reported to minicamp determined to recapture the dominating level of play he had demonstrated briefly during last summer's preseason opener at Detroit.

"That's the best I felt probably ever since I left Auburn," Simmons said. "Even through my rookie year, I didn't feel that good. I worked hard, I just hit a bump in the road. I'm going to get back to that point.

"I can get back there, no problem."

The Steelers might have one if Simmons fails to achieve his goal this time around.

Although he was seamlessly replaced by Keydrick Vincent a season ago, Vincent has since moved on to Baltimore.

Now, it's Simmons who is being counted upon to fill the void left by Vincent.

"Right now, I'm taking it slowly," Simmons said. "I don't need to rush it, because if I do I'm going to end up back on the sideline again. So that's my whole thing, take time and do what I need to do to get it stronger.

"This isn't the regular season, so I'm not in any hurry. The diabetes is a second-nature thing. Right now, my whole concern is getting my knee stronger, I'm not really worrying about anything else. I know the plays, it's just trying to knock the rust off and get back in it."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

And here's Porter's response to the injured shoulder...

Porter says his shoulder is fine

Tools Print this article
          E-mail this article
          Subscribe to this paper
          Larger / Smaller Text

By Joe Bendel
          TRIBUNE-REVIEW
          Saturday, May 7, 2005

Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter was "back in his rare form" on the first day of minicamp Friday, according to no less an authority than coach Bill Cowher.
          Porter underwent a magnetic resonance imaging test on his shoulder a day earlier due to discomfort in the offseason. The MRI showed no structural damage and Porter deemed himself healthy.

"It was a little nick-nack injury that I had during the season because I'm banging (against defenders) every weekend," he said. "I haven't been doing anything in the offseason, but working out, and I was wondering why it was still nagging. So, I just wanted to get it checked out, and it came out pretty good. ... It was fine, just a little sore. I'll be OK."

In '04, Porter re-emerged as one of the league's best outside linebackers with 63 tackles, seven sacks and three forced fumbles during a 15-1 campaign.

That Pro Bowl season came on the heels of a disappointing '03, during which he struggled to regain his form after absorbing a gunshot wound in the buttocks that forced him to miss the season's first two weeks. The Steelers went 6-10 and missed the playoffs.

"Minicamp is when you start getting yourself ready, running around and getting used to everything again," Porter said. "You want to participate if you can because it all fits into your goals for the next year."

Porter could have a new teammate this fall in former Steelers linebacker Chad Brown, who turned down a $1 million offer to stay with the Seattle Seahawks. Several teams are courting Brown, including the New England Patriots. Brown's agent, Peter Schaffer, said Tuesday that a decision could come by the end of the week, but Schaffer did not return phone calls yesterday. Brown is reportedly seeking in the neighborhood of $1.5 million.

Porter said he would welcome the addition of Brown, who could spell him from time to time.

"If we would pick him up, we'd find a place for him," Porter said of Brown, who struggled with injuries last season and managed just 37 tackles in seven games. "He's still a good player in my mind. He's one of the all-time great linebackers."

Moreover, Brown's transition would be relatively easy because he understands the Steelers' philosophy.

"He's been here before," Porter said. "He knows all about it. It wouldn't be anything new to him. You wouldn't have to teach him the defense and he can play all the positions. So, I think it would be a good thing."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Okay...I'm on the Brown bandwagon...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
              Okay...I'm on the Brown bandwagon...
              Don't know why, the Pats signed him to a 2 year deal today...

Bruggers on W38th was where my uncle was laid out, although I was overseas and couldn't make it when he passed...
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Yeah....right next to Greengarden lanes...the old bowling alley...

Still there...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Brown signs with New England...what a fag...gee...you don't think he used the interest with the Steelers to drum up the NE interest do you...

fucking piece of horrid shit...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Another week of training sessions is completed....

The name I keep hearing is the rookie CB, Bryant McFadden from Free Shoes...

It wouldn't surprise me if he actually is good enough to start, but something tells me that the really want Colclough to start....

And another one (again) is WR Zamir Cobb... From what they're saying, he was a good bet to make the team before he broke his leg...

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I've heard the same about McFadden...

not much about Zamir Cobb though...other than what you've been saying...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

You'll be sorrrrrry !!!!!

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

Kendrell Bell sat out the last two days of Chiefs practice with a groin pull.
                        Sound familiar, Steelers fans? Bell will produce when on the field, but he is not a reliable IDP bet because of his injury problems. May. 26 - 10:26 am et

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

risk/reward...if he's healthy...we lose...

but chances are...he won't be...

Comment

• SRK
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

Post-Plax era begins for Steelers, Roethlisberger

Comment

• SRK
                              Roadie
                              • Jan 2004

Well I don`t know what happened with that link but they let me read the article the first time I tryed...It was a pretty good read ...Had Hines talking about how he and Ben are really getting on the same page now ...Ben is much more relaxed and reads the defenses so much better. His release is faster this year.....Hines also said PLAX and he never really ever where on the same page for what ever reason maybe because PLAX was a 1 round pick and felt he could not learn from me but Fred Gibson is a hungry kid, wanting to learn .....They also mention Heath Millers having a wonderful camp ....He caught a 40 yarder in practice.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Funny thing about it SRK...is that Pittsburgh will be an underdog again this year...

not many people take the 15-1 record seriuusly...

they will...

Comment

Working...